Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bilbo.jpg
Hobbit-Pinball1.jpg
Hobbit-Pinball1.jpg
Hobbit-Pinball.jpg
7.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider solarvalue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago

Doesn't help you, unfortunately, but I read in an interview with Joe Balcer that they are trying to balance between keeping the pre-orderers happy and giving too much away to the competition. They are also concerned that people will be very critical of the unfinished product, like what happened with WOZ.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Actually I think I published the latest "update", if you want to call it that, when I published my interviews with Jack, Joe Balcer and Jean-Paul de Win. Here are the direct links:
Jack's interview: http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=1425
Joe's interview: http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=1449
Jean-Paul's interview: http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=1467
These interviews were published like 3 weeks ago, but I don't think I have seen any update from JJP in the mean time.

Yes, thanks, that's where I read about Balcer not wanting to reveal too much of the design:

"I worked for Gary Stern for more than twelve years and I respect all those guys over there, but I don’t like to give them what I’m doing. Especially in today’s world with the Internet and how fast information moves. We put my layout out there and it was in the competition’s hand in a minute...So, to give a general idea of what’s going on, I’m OK with that. But to dig in to it and actually put out a lot more details, that’s something that I’m definitely not comfortable with." (From Pinball Magazine Interview)

Quoted from JoeJet:

What did WOz reveals give the competition that has been incorporated into Metallica or Star Trek?
Looks like Stern doesn't care.

I'm not sure, the only thing I can think of is the return to the shooter lane behind the upper-right flipper on WOZ being similar to the one on Star Trek.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

but wasn't that a Spider-Man mod as well? Which ST copies more than anything. So I don't credit WOZ with this either.

From the pics on IPDB, I don't think the lane behind the flipper goes back to the shooter lane on Spider-Man, but you said "mod" so are you saying that some games were modded to do this? There may be other earlier games that have this set-up, anyone?

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No, nothing is copied from WOZ...unless you count the RGB LEDs for all inserts and GI.

Maybe not, but I can still see why Balcer would be worried about releasing too much, if you are striving to stay ahead of the competition, it would be best to keep you cards close to your chest for as long as possible. Especially with release still so far away. If you released detailed information about the game now, other companies would have a year or more before Hobbit is released to come up with something to respond to it.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Don't shoot the messenger. Would you prefer me to interview designers and not share the transcripts with anyone else? I can understand where Joe is coming from (an era where nothing was announced upfront). Publishing the layout was already not something he was comfortable with. Personally I'd like to see updates on a regular basis, like Jack did with WoZ, or Ben Heck is doing with AMH. I also like to bring scoops, but if there aren't any scoops shared the best I can bring is what I've been told, right?

Absolutely, I'm not shooting the messenger, my 'thanks' was sincere not sarcastic. These were excellent interviews and gave us a great insight into the thinking of some of the people behind WOZ, please continue with your good work. As I said two posts up from yours, I can also understand Balcer's position. So...thanks again for providing them (I really mean it).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider solarvalue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1500-payment-for-hobbit-in-no-update?tu=solarvalue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.