2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Snowyetti
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160612_220851_(resized).jpg
    shop_pinballs_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Might be able to find a Water World for somewhere around $1500.00.

You can get a waterworld for far less than that. Same with almost all of the premier games. I had a a waterworld here for $900 - full working and good shape - with zero takers.

The reason of course is the games just aren't that great, and everybody hates the flippers. But certainly if someone wants a really cheap DMD the waterworlds and Mario Andrettis of the world are your best option.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

I have never seen a Nascar under 2K, I guess it depends on what area you live in, if I could find one for 1500 I would buy it in a heartbeat. Someone mentioned WPT as well, never saw that one in the range either, 2200 and up is the norm, at least what I have seen...
    I am not saying they don't exist at those prices, but please share where you have seen those prices.

All you have to do is look around and ask fellow pinball collectors......

Mario Andretti $750
    Nascar $1500
    both purchased since January.

Both needed shop outs. Nascar had 2 bad drivers that were easily replaced and is now a great playing machine.

shop_pinballs_(resized).jpg

#53 2 years ago

My vote goes to any good System 11 game. They're almost all really good playing games, and they "feel" more similar to a modern DMD game than a Gottlieb game does, imo.

#54 2 years ago

Do they still sell games under $1500??? I sure cant tell!

#55 2 years ago

Save up $500 more and you will really have a ton more options.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

Save up $500 more and you will really have a ton more options.

I agree.....stretch the budget 500 bucks....and a lot of options open up

#57 2 years ago

Wow. Just checked the responses and expected to see two, maybe three. I'm absolutely blown away by the level of engagement and helpfulness. Thanks a lot guys.

FWIW, $1500 isn't a hard cap, just a number I was mulling around as something I could throw down without too much worry. I'm definitely willing to consider games at a higher price point.

I've already reviewed about half of the recommendations. I'm making a list and will be keeping my eyes peeled for local sales on them. Unfortunately pinball seems to be essentially nonexistent where I'm located. There was one small arcade that existed in Bay City in 2014, but was quickly shut down. Right now I'm stuck with just a few rough playing machines in laundromats. There appears to be only a few private collectors, and few machines come up for sale. Nevertheless I'm willing to wait my turn, and I'm now armed with some excellent info on where to start. Thanks!

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from MIpinhead:

Wow. Just checked the responses and expected to see two, maybe three. I'm absolutely blown away by the level of engagement and helpfulness. Thanks a lot guys.
    FWIW, $1500 isn't a hard cap, just a number I was mulling around as something I could throw down without too much worry. I'm definitely willing to consider games at a higher price point.
    I've already reviewed about half of the recommendations. I'm making a list and will be keeping my eyes peeled for local sales on them. Unfortunately pinball seems to be essentially nonexistent where I'm located. There was one small arcade that existed in Bay City in 2014, but was quickly shut down. Right now I'm stuck with just a few rough playing machines in laundromats. There appears to be only a few private collectors, and few machines come up for sale. Nevertheless I'm willing to wait my turn, and I'm now armed with some excellent info on where to start. Thanks!

Keep your eye on Detroit Craigslist, they come up.

#59 2 years ago

You're only 1.5 hours from Lansing. Looks like there are two locations with over ten games. Go there and play the hell out of those games and get a sense of what you like and go from there.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from MIpinhead:

I've already reviewed about half of the recommendations. I'm making a list and will be keeping my eyes peeled for local sales on them.

I'd agree with your list idea. That way if a deal comes up you can respond quickly. When I was first starting I made a list of +100 games that were near my budget. The first game that came up under my budget was Jurassic Park.

#61 2 years ago

I got my T2 for $1500. Needed love, but it was all there.

If I had $1500 TODAY, I would stalk craigs list daily and pick up two SS machines for $750ish each.

#62 2 years ago

There is a high speed pinball up for sale for $900 Detroit CL. Says needs power supply - could be a great deal with a little elbow grease.

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from MIpinhead:

Rough playing machines in Laundromats can be awesome once you clean them up, and operators will sometimes take $1500 cash for the broken machines you can make whole on your own time. All my best deals have been broken/filthy machines from operators that cleaned up great. Get to know them (and get them to know YOU), and opportunity will eventually knock.

#64 2 years ago

$1500 is generally always my budget max, with the exception of JP, which I paid $1650 for.

For $1500, quite a lot of games are available to you, despite what you may believe. And if you are okay with the idea shopping out a game, You can get a decent deal for $1500. Pretty much all System 11 games are on the table at $1500, most DE games, and some earlier SS games for even less.

My vote would be a good clean working Pinbot or a working JP if you can find one at that price.

#65 2 years ago

System 11 games - Pinbot, Taxi, and more...are great bang for your buck games at this price. I bought my DE Maverick (DMD) at this price and it is a fabulous game as well.

#67 2 years ago

60 tickets for PRO machine sweepstakes from Project Pinball Charity.

http://www.projectpinball.org/pro-edition-pinball-machine-stickers/

Brad

#68 2 years ago

I'd just add that if you're buying a game that isn't working 100% be sure to bring someone along that knows pinball a bit, they can help you figure out what might be going on with it and whether you're taking on a $100 fix or a $500 fix. You should be able to find some local people through Pinside that would be happy to help you out.

Otherwise you're probably better off buying a game that's 100% working. Of course you'll still need to confirm this by reviewing the manual ahead of time (you can find them all on IPDB) and then playing some games with the glass off and/or working through the test menu to make sure the key functions are all there (you can find a "things to look out for" list for many games here on Pinside that will help steer you to common problems). And give the boards in the backbox a nice, thorough look (bring a flashlight) for burnt connectors and battery corrosion. If you see either, even if the game is fully working now, consider mentally budgeting a few hundred extra for board repair/replacement if the boards fail a few weeks or months after you get them home.

Also know yourself -- if you pick up a $1500 game with broken plastics, cracked ramps, damaged but functional mechs, etc., are you going to be satisfied to clean it up as best you can on the cheap and enjoy playing it without replacing every last thing? If not, you could easily end up spending hundreds on largely "cosmetic" replacement parts.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

60 tickets for PRO machine sweepstakes from Project Pinball Charity.
    http://www.projectpinball.org/pro-edition-pinball-machine-stickers/
    Brad

Nice plug. Reminded me to get this months ticket!

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Do they still sell games under $1500??? I sure cant tell!

Not in our area!

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

Nice plug. Reminded me to get this months ticket!

I do what I can.

Brad

#72 2 years ago

In that price range, you should try to find a decent dmd era pin but be open minded to the title because they do come up in that price range but if you pick out a specific pin you want, it will probably be tough to find.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Pretty much all System 11 games are on the table at $1500

Where the hell do you shop??? Could you please direct me to the $1500 Black Knight 2000, Funhouse, Diner & Cyclone? I have cash in hand!

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Where the hell do you shop??? Could you please direct me to the $1500 Black Knight 2000, Funhouse, Diner & Cyclone? I have cash in hand!

Funhouse isn't a Sys11.

There are a ton of pins within NJ, PA & NY, so I have that advantage. But I've picked up every game I've previously owned for $1500 or less.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from MIpinhead:

Just a hypothetical question: if you had a shoestring budget of $1500, and could only own one machine, what would you look to buy? Ideally a machine that you can use to train for playing on more modern, fast paced games.
    Apologies if this is a duplicate topic. It's late at night, I'm new to the community, and I'm feeling excited about pinball.

Don't shop with this mentality!

You need to go to a show/gathering/tournament to determine what YOU like.
    You want to focus on buying something local that does not suck and is not dramatically overpriced. Don't focus on a specific title but maybe come up with 10 machines to look for...
    You need to go check out the game in person to confirm that it works.
    You need a vehicle capable of transporting it.

I know how people shop for games but you just have to be patient and for a first time shopper, you really need to shop local.

If you're looking for games on the internet, you're doing it wrong. There are literally 100 collectors from MI that will be willing to help find a machine that is fun and priced right and invite you over to play games. There's also the MI pinball expo (Michigan Pinball Expo 2016 Hours

July 7, July 8, July 9, from 9a-11p
    Sunday, July 10 from 8a-4p

Michigan Pinball Expo 2016 Location
    The Oakland Center At Oakland University 2200 N. Squirrel Road
    Rochester, Michigan 48309).

I would strongly suggest to focus on that, not eBay, CL, or the Pinside market (unless local).

#76 2 years ago

At 2016 pricing for me the answer is ....Nothing. I would continue to save and buy something in the 2-3k range. If you are not into DMD games, you have plenty of options at your price point.

#77 2 years ago

Let us know wheat you end up getting. These threads are always interesting.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

You need to go to a show/gathering/tournament to determine what YOU like.

This. One man's idea of the best pin is another's idea of a crappy one. Don't go by the rankings here, play games and find out.

Even childhood favorites can sometimes pan out to be less fun than what you remembered.

#79 2 years ago

I have to agree that $1500 is really tough to find a decent working DMD in the southwest... NF? TFTC? T2? -not since 2005 IMHO... Those at at least $2500 even in beater condition. F14 is in that price range, and is fun, with no DMD. Also possibly Dr Dude.
    -S

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from azpinguy:

I have to agree that $1500 is really tough to find a decent working DMD in the southwest... NF? TFTC? T2? -not since 2005 IMHO... Those at at least $2500 even in beater condition. F14 is in that price range, and is fun, with no DMD. Also possibly Dr Dude.
    -S

I realize how lucky I am living where I do. Unfortunately, it's about the only redeeming quality for living in NJ.

#81 2 years ago

Agree with system 11 bang for the buck advice as I hunted down a whirlwind far under that price and plays perfect.
    Shiny, clear coated, HUO, scratch/ wear free?
    Absolutely not. Someday. But I got a game to be played and runs like a tank, clean and probably the most reliable and popular with guests. So no need to save more money. Be selective on condition to a point, sure, but get to enjoyment of ownership and build off it.
    Sounds like you have a roadmap now. Have fun!

#82 2 years ago

Indeed, I stand corrected. Let me rephrase... Please direct me to the $1500 BK2K, Diner & Cyclone!

#83 2 years ago

By the time he saves " a couple hundred more", he's gonna have to save a couple hundred more and so on and so on......

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

By the time he saves " a couple hundred more", he's gonna have to save a couple hundred more and so on and so on......

Exactly.

Don't listen to these idiots. Buy a fun $1500 or less pin. There's hundreds of them.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly.
    Don't listen to these idiots. Buy a fun $1500 or less pin. There's hundreds of them.

Precisely. Listen to this idiot instead.

I probably put as many games on my Sorcerer these days as on my DMD pins combined. Price ≠ fun.

#86 2 years ago

It's still possible to score a bargain on eBay if a seller neglects to do any research and puts up a low Buy It Now.

Same goes for Craigslist, except with no "contract" the seller may be more likely to back out of his stated price when the vultures start offering more. Protip: pretend to have the same first name as the seller, the affinity may help them keep their word! (Only sort of kidding, it seemed to help when I really did buy my DESW from another Dan for $500!)

Or you could go the EM route and get as many as a half dozen pins for that $1500!

#87 2 years ago

Having several system 11s, I can say there is great fun to be had in lesser titles, as well as the bigger names. My second pin was Road Kings and I had a blast playing and doing a little fixing. I now am completely out of room and I'm still searching for pins lol.

Picked up Big Guns cheap last week and got the flippers working last night and it's pretty darn fun! Almost the same speed as f14, but almost more ruthless!

Diner is a great fun game and I just fired up EATPM on Sunday after a complete restore that took me almost 2 months. Now THAT is a fun game! There's something about that time period that just rocks for Bally/Williams games. I haven't played some of the other suggested titles, but you can't go wrong with any system 11 as far as I'm concerned. But go with a title that suits your interests and you'll be all set!

I forgot to mention that there's something about the Ritchie brothers that I really enjoy. While Steve's games tend to have a faster flow, I think Mark's games have more of a fun factor, at least for me me anyway. Maybe that's why I almost prefer Big Guns to f14? And Diner wins over f14 hands down. Just a lot more to shoot for...

#88 2 years ago

You could get a Comet and a Firepower with $1500.

Contrary to popular belief, the DMD screen does not make you better at pinball.

#89 2 years ago

If you're willing to learn and enjoy the journey and rewards of getting your hands dirty, and maybe have a little luck, you can get some great games for well under $1500:

- In October 2014 I bought my first pin for $550: a Space Shuttle with nonfunctional pop bumpers and flippers plus the usual wear and tear. I knew NOTHING about pinball machines but had a few things in my favor: being technically inclined (to handle all aspects of repair), having some artistic ability (to touch up and clear the playfield), and finding PINSIDE to learn all the nuances and particulars. I documented it in a restore thread here and got lots of help and encouragement from a community I'd never heard of before. So even after paying to get some board service done, I finished the machine to near-new status for under $1K, and made it nicer to boot. My first game is now a rock solid awesome fun machine, trouble-free through almost 3000 plays, with plenty of accolades and fanfare from its first show outing to boot.

- In May 2015 I bought a wrecked Firepower project for $300 and in some respects I probably paid too much even then. I would NOT recommend buying a basket case like this! Even so, nobody will say Firepower is a bad game and you can find turnkey playable examples for under $1K, to a little more for a nicer one. I'm probably into mine for that $1K figure but it's far nicer now than any I've seen sold for that price.

- March 2016, I fell in love with Space Station at a show. Of two examples there, one needed TLC but never missed a beat during the entirety of a 3-day show, so I knew it was solid. Managed to find the owner and brought it home for an even $1K. A hundred or so in standard shopping (flipper & pop rebuilds, new rubbers, misc repairs, etc) and I'm still well under the typical price for that one, and it's a fantastic game.

Of course it goes without saying these are not DMD games. But honestly, I can't say a DMD itself makes a game great. Some DMD games are generally considered "bad" while some SS (and even EM!) games are still desirable today. Firepower is an all-time classic that's worth cutting your teeth on. Space Shuttle saved the whole damn industry and when you play it you'll see why. Space Station is an odd one, but has incredible light shows, great sound for its era, ramps, diverters, multiball, hurryup, jackpot, a non-standard layout... pretty much all the things DMDs have except the screen.

So as others have said, don't fixate yourself on any one title or group of titles. Get the Pinball Arcade app, and play as many as you can to see if you like the rules and sounds. Watch PAPA vids on YouTube. Go to locations and shows. Consider getting your hands dirty as that will save you some money up front and hopefully forge an appreciation for these fantastic, wonderful contraptions Either way you'll either find something you love for under $1500, or something worth saving a little more for. The options are endless.

Also, you should start saving for your second. It WILL happen.

#90 2 years ago

I just listed a real nice Operation Thunder for $1550.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

I just listed a real nice Operation Thunder for $1550.

Yeah, and when I saw it, I considered posting it to this thread. It's a good game that came out near the end of the pinball alpha numeric era, built on video game level design. Quite interesting. I would probably buy it, had I not owned a Victory for a year.

#92 2 years ago

I would suggest you make a list of the things you want in a game and look for something in your price range that satisfies the list instead of looking for a specific title. My list was; multiball, DMD, upper flipper. (I was also wanting a Williams)

I ended up finding a Congo on the local Craig's list offered by a local collector. When I went to see it I was given all kinds of info from that collector about the menus, settings, and simple cleaning/maintenance. (Thanks, Scott)
    He also gave me name and number of repair person in my area, and that was the best info EVER!

Good luck with your search.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Yeah, really. The only BK2K that I have seen for sale in the past year that is even close is still $2200.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-black-knight-2000-williams-1989-1994

#94 2 years ago

Judge Dredd. And put the remaining $100 towards your next machine.

#95 2 years ago

3X EM machines.
    Take your pick.

#96 2 years ago

Not sure if this matters, but pins hold their value fairly well. With that in mind, you may want to save a little longer and push your budget to $2,500 or so. That opens up a whole different level of gameplay. It also can bring you into the 90's and make maintenance a little easier as well.

Either way, welcome to the hobby. Get ready to buy your 2nd and 3rd.....it just happens

#97 2 years ago

Baywatch or WWF

I wish I never sold em but space is a mo fo

#98 2 years ago

Would only get me 2×color DMD,S in Australia

#99 2 years ago

100% agree on going with a System 11 - versus those affordable Gottlieb DMD's.

The other option would be an early Solid State, which I love, but would get boring in one pin collection.

#100 2 years ago

I recently picked up a Gottlieb Gladiators for ~$1K, fun game with DMD & brutal shaker. Find one and have some $ left to start saving for the next.

Gladiators was suppose to be Zelda before the licensing ran out. You can see some elements of it in the layout and design. I believe if it had been produced as originally planned (Zelda) it would easily be selling for x2 or more and be rated in top 25.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 189.99
    $ 22.00
    $ 6.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 106.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 750.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside