Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8246230.jpg
    20150628_205615.jpg
    05.jpg
    04.jpg
    03.jpg
    02.jpg
    01.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

In an earlier post, I explained how to replace the RAM and eliminate the risky batteries for latter model pins:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/installing-barakandls-nvram-battery-eliminator-vids-review

But what can you do if you have a Classic Bally or SS Williams?

Get a NVRAM module that fits in the 5101 RAM socket.

There are a bunch of these on the market, but this module is only $14 ($12 in a 10 pack), so it's priced right.

http://nvram.weebly.com/

#2 8 years ago

Here you can see the module.

It is basically a Ramtron FM16W08 surface mount NVRAM, mounted on an adapter board, with a supporting capacitor.

The adapter board allows the chip to be installed in the 5101 RAM footprint.

IMG_1757.jpgIMG_1757.jpg
    #3 8 years ago

Here is the underside of the adapter.

These are the pins that will be inserted into the RAM socket.

2.jpg2.jpg
    #4 8 years ago

Here is a Bally -35 board.

It is the most popular MPU board ever made, so I figured it would be a good test subject. If I can get a few more of these NVRAM modules, I'll post the installation instructions on how to install them in some other MPUs like the different Williams versions.

On the Bally -35, you want to cut the battery off first (Ideally, you cut the battery off the day you got the game).

Clean up any battery corrosion before going further, as it keeps corroding the board, even after the batter is gone.

The 5101 RAM chip is directly above and to the left of the battery.

CAREFULLY pry the chip from the socket with a flat screwdriver. Lift from one side, then the other.

If the RAM easily falls out from the socket - replace the socket. A good socket will give resistance to chip removal.

3.jpg3.jpg

#5 8 years ago

Save the old RAM chip on a block of anti-static foam.

You can use it to troubleshoot another game.

4.jpg4.jpg
    #6 8 years ago

There is a big resistor next to the RAM socket.

If this resistor has been replaced, the tech probably mounted it high off the board so that it could have good airflow around it (it does get hot). Bend the resistor a little so it does not touch the NVRAM module.

If this resistor is burnt looking, replace it now with an 82ohm 2w, and make sure you mount it off the board with lots of air space around it.

-

The module needs to be installed in the correct orientation. Do not mount it backwards.

Make sure the RAMTRON chip is on the "pin one side".

The module should be marked with PIN 1 somewhere on it, so people don't mess it up (hopefully the next batch of circuit boards corrects this omission) .
    -

Power up the game.

You should get one quick flash, followed by 6 flashes if everything is good.

You will lose your high scores and sound settings, so be prepared to spend a few minutes reprogramming the game.

-

That's it.

You now have no batteries to constantly replace or leak.

Highly recommended!

5.jpg5.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Gor one for a newer stern awesome products.

#8 8 years ago

Awesome review! Vid received one of my first prototypes. I am now using taller header posts to keep the adapter further away from the 2w resistor. Based on temperature readings i took at the ram, even with that 82 ohm resistor touching the adapter, the ram stayed within operating temp. Now that I am using the modified header pins setup there is plenty of space around the 2w resistor and the temps are well within operating range of the RAMTRON chip.

Lack of silk screening was done to keep the cost as low as possible. Every single assembled adapter will have pin 1 marked. If these start selling well, i will be able to order larger batches of blank PCBs and have the silk screen included. I hope to add Gottlieb System 80 support as well. They use a complimentary chip select that I believe needs to be inverted, working on it.

I have other goodies on my website too... Like a 10 pack of FM1608 (6264 NVRAM) for $80 shipped! I will be adding more products and post circuit boards i have for sale here as well. Stay tuned =D.

Thanks
    Andrew

#9 8 years ago

does the one for a system 11 need soddering?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from dementedwarlok:

does the one for a system 11 need soddering?

You can use a FM1608 (6264 sized) ram on system 11B and system 11C. Typically soldering needs to be done because the original ram is hard soldered in from the factory.

1 week later
    #11 8 years ago

INSTALLING NVRAM ON WILLIAMS SYSTEM 4 MPU
    ==========================================================

There is a 50/50 chance that your system 4 MPU has had it's RAM replaced in the last 40 years, so you may or may not find an IC socket on the board.

This board looked to be almost a total virgin, only the battery pack had been removed and a remote battery connector had been installed.

Because the board was a virgin, we needed to install a socket.

The existing RAM was still good, so I kept it for future service swaps and put it on a piece of anti-static foam.

01.jpg01.jpg

#12 8 years ago

Next, I unsoldered the old RAM.

Note that Pin 1 on the board is marked with a small numeral.

02.jpg02.jpg

#13 8 years ago

I got a nice Dual Wipe IC Socket from Andrew.

Dual wipe means that the socket makes contact on both the front and rear of the IC legs.

If you don't like SIP Sockets, Dual Wipe is a great choice.
    03.jpg03.jpg

#14 8 years ago

Next, I soldered in the new socket.

04.jpg04.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Finally, I installed the NVRAM module.

Note that pin one on the module corresponds to the pin 1 marking on the circuit board - this is important.

Power up the game and you are good to go - never having to worry about dead batteries again.

05.jpg05.jpg

#16 8 years ago

Excellent write up! Thanks for putting this together.

1 week later
    #17 8 years ago

Here is how it looks in a William's System 6 MPU. This MPU has no worry about getting hammered by battery damage a 2nd time.

20150628_205615.jpg20150628_205615.jpg

#18 8 years ago

$40 to get one in Canada.

#19 8 years ago

Due to the solder used in assembly and how usps international shipping works, I am only able to offer international shipping through eBay's global shipping program. My eBay ID is barakandl.

I am going to be adding more products to my website. If things get going, I may look into other options that will let me ship internationally without the headache of going to the post office.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I got a nice Dual Wipe IC Socket from Andrew.
    Dual wipe means that the socket makes contact on both the front and rear of the IC legs.
    If you don't like SIP Sockets, Dual Wipe is a great choice.
    03.jpg

I always wipe more than once so this sounds great.

But seriously, what's the benefits of one type over the other? Just curious.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

But seriously, what's the benefits of one type over the other? Just curious.

Single wipe are the wost type of socket. One side of the IC leg touches the plastic frame, the other touches the conductive pin - so you are getting only half of the surface contact.

Dual wipe, you get contact and positive spring pressure on both sides of the IC leg.

#22 8 years ago

I use these on my Classic Bally games that have original MPU boards in them. They work awesome and are a great way to avoid ever having to change batteries ever again!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

$40 to get one in Canada.

Get one from denikar. Mine was $25 cad to my door.

4 months later
    #24 8 years ago

I just installed Andrew's NVRAM in 10 system 11 pins.

Great product Andrew....they work like a champ.

I can't see reason why anyone would purchase the more expensive alternatives that are on the market, (anypin NVRAM).

These NVRAM units from Andrew, (barakandL) work perfect!!!

#25 8 years ago

Happy to hear you got them installed safely into your system 11 games!

I don't think I ever made an announcement post about new FM16W08 on a 6116 NVRAM adapter. I have them available on my website.

8246230.jpg8246230.jpg

I have had a few requests for new FM16W08 on a 6264 adapter. I will do those at the same price points as my 6116 adapter.

Thank you,
    Andrew

http://www.nvram.weebly.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/14-nvram-battery-eliminator-5101-module-vids-review?hl=randy_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.