IMG_0492 copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231231_195701051 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240122-094732 (resized).png
IMG_0044 (resized).jpeg
P1020577 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240114_123412762_HDR (resized).jpg
munsters_green (resized).jpg
There are 11,844 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 237.
#6551 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I appreciate the info, but Munsters is Spike game and the Ebay auction says no shipping to the USA.

Yes I know that but I was referring to SAM games like MET since Who-Dey said the shaker was a bit much in his MET.
There are a lot of sellers shipping to US. The link was just to show the type of controller needed.

#6552 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Put a shaker in mine tonight and it doesnt do much like you said but I still like what it adds to the game. I would rather it be a little mild than to have it shake all if the screws out of my game like GB and MET did. I think the shaker adds a nice little touch to an already amazing game.

Glad you like it! We have our shaker setvon the lowest setting.

#6553 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Glad you like it! We have our shaker setvon the lowest setting.

Mine is set to Maximun but it still doesnt shake much at all. I'm glad though honestly because I dont like them to shake like crazy.

#6554 4 years ago

diospinball said, “... And I think Dwight is a better coder than I'll ever be, but he is not thinking outside the box for what you can do. There is potential in Munsters to do amazing things... But, they kept it simple... And its BAD because of it.”

There has been a discussion going on about our fab Munsters table, with lots of usual bashing. I made a defense of it and the thread has seemed to lose steam now. Here is what I shared there, because our Munsters machine is worth the price and will be more so if Stern listens to what “hold outs” really want:

Here in lies the issue with Munsters. Dwight, a great coder has not been given proper time by Stern to make Munsters epic software wise. It has everything else going for it, except lots of material from a 70+ beloved TV series. If it had the clever concepts it has now, with a proper amount of in game modes with lots of show material, it would stand its own with any pinball machine and become a highly sought after title. Stern is missing the boat big time with this title. Would think sales are reflecting that fact by now.

It shoots great, play is fun and has plenty of things to hit. The lower playfield and upper playfield multiball going at the same time with four flippers is a completely unique experience in pinball. Nothing like it has ever been created. Lower PF could be a machine in and of itself and sold for under $500 to $800 dollars, it would fly off Costco or Sam’s Club shelves for Christmas and introduce all kinds of people into pinball, not just the same crowd here on Pinside, over and over.

People that say otherwise, don’t think they’ve given proper time on the machine. We have a goodly selection of pinball at our place and when people come over, they all gravitate to Munsters and love it. One of the best party games ever.

There is nothing boring about the machine. It is just light on show material modes and content from the show. Add more of that and everyone will change their tune.

Elvira is a clever machine, but shot wise, on the easy to mediocre side, but is still a great machine (even though the straight almost not there, plastic habit trails are boring at best). Where Munsters shines is with incredible ramps, fun bash toys, Herman, Spot and Grandpas mystery machine, Dragula race ball interaction, lower PF once understood is a blast on its own, etc. So much to shoot and fun to get to Munster Madness, Midnight Madness, level 2 Munster Madness, zap awards, super jackpots are exceptionally fun to collect and cash in with about 9 collected. How many of you bashing Munsters have even collected 4?

Dwight really has something here to prove to us that he can indeed make Munsters epic, just like Lyman will make Elvira epic. Given the time, I believe Dwight can do it to become epic. Munsters has more than looks and given a fair assessment, really does have everything else in it, designed by a top designer, John Borg. Here’s hoping Stern will listen to us and give Munsters what it deserves, then all the bashing will stop and buyers will be coming out of the wood works to buy it.

One of the coolest toppers ever too, when properly working.

#6555 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Big time!!!...Waiting for all the smoke to clear a bit, and fully intending to by a spare Raven and add Red LED eyes...

Anyone wanting to buy a spare raven head to mod, here's the part number.

RAVEN HEAD – 880-6227-00

They're not available yet and will be about $45.

#6556 4 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Anyone wanting to buy a spare raven head to mod, here's the part number.
RAVEN HEAD – 880-6227-00
They're not available yet and will be about $45.

Bingo!!!...As stated prior " after the dust settles" this will hopefully become available, and make for a stunning centerpiece to mod....

#6557 4 years ago

Dwight made Munsters a very approachable, easy to understand game, on purpose. No lore no less. If he ends up revamping it, so be it. But the game is how he wanted it to be coded. There’s not some secret deep reason for the way it is. People complained that GOT and SW were too complex, now this is too simple. He can’t win. He’s my favorite coder hands down.

I think he should continue to do code the way that he loves to do it and let the chips fall where they may.

#6558 4 years ago

I am still waiting on my machine. I also ordered a few mods. This (picture) was sent as a freebie, but I have no clue were it will go, help.

Thank you

IMG_0961 (resized).jpgIMG_0961 (resized).jpg
#6559 4 years ago
Quoted from AdeptJR:

I am still waiting on my machine. I also ordered a few mods. This (picture) was sent as a freebie, but I have no clue were it will go, help.
Thank you[quoted image]

What the hell is that? I've got all mods thats out there but haven't seen that!

#6560 4 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

What the hell is that? I've got all mods thats out there but haven't seen that!

That is what I am trying to figure out

#6561 4 years ago

Everybody completely misses the point with Munsters code. It’s not about making it more complex for pinball wizards. They wanted to make a fun accessible game, but they missed so many opportunities to make it more fun with a few more basic modes and more media and sound bites. The Most glaring omission is few more modes that correspond to some of the most famous episodes like the baseball episode. Spot is barely used. Dracula is so unimaginative and boring. You barely have any interaction with the characters. Beautiful machine and they really missed the boat. Every time I play it, it feels the same. And I’m not a terrible player.

#6562 4 years ago
Quoted from AdeptJR:

Thank you[quoted image]

It's for the speaker panel like the green slime ones for GB.
And the little one is for the coin door.

Turn the picture around.

#6563 4 years ago

Bear in mind that “T2 like” gameplay was the inspiration for this game. Simple, approachable and Damn fun to shoot!

As many of us know, George Gomez’s favorite pin is T2. He and Dwight wanted Munsters to have the same mojo. I think they nailed it, while allowing Munsters to maintain it’s own identity.

Honestly, I think it’s a refreshing return scoring as the main objective...not completing modes.

You know what you need to do...build up 6+ super jackpots (Pressing your luck to get there), get 6+ playfield scoring, and hit the Dragula shot in a single ball. easy peasy right?

The art, light show, music, flow and shear adrenaline on this game is sublime “as is” and if Dwight is compelled to go back and revisit the code I hope it’s not like putting a hat on the Mona Lisa. Cause that’s what she needs...a hat!

#6564 4 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Bear in mind that “T2 like” gameplay was the inspiration for this game. Simple, approachable and Damn fun to shoot!
As many of us know, George Gomez’s favorite pin is T2. He and Dwight wanted Munsters to have the same mojo. I think they nailed it, while allowing Munsters to maintain it’s own identity.
Honestly, I think it’s a refreshing return scoring as the main objective...not completing modes.
You know what you need to do...build up 6+ super jackpots (Pressing your luck to get there), get 6+ playfield scoring, and hit the Dragula shot in a single ball. easy peasy right?
The art, light show, music, flow and shear adrenaline on this game is sublime “as is” and if Dwight is compelled to go back and revisit the code I hope it’s not like putting a hat on the Mona Lisa. Cause that’s what she needs...a hat!

Believe you're in the minority thinking this is a Mona Lisa code wise. At these high prices, we and the Munsters theme deserve a great deal more. Not saying I don’t like the game as is, but there isn’t much to it and to last in a HUO environment there needs to be a great deal more like other games have received and that is why so many people are holding out and not buying. I too like Dwight as a coder, but this game is very skimpy on TV series material and that is a travesty. Otherwise, if it is going to be just a scoring game, rename it to “Jackpot” and let our beloved Munsters theme have the love it deserves with another attempt. Those few happy as is, don’t update your machine when new code drop happens.

(No one would ever pay $9k for T2. In fact: buy T2 at $2,000 - $2,500 is what you'll find these at all day long. Sell Munsters at that price and no one will complain about the lack of show material code.)

#6565 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Believe you're in the minority thinking this is a Mona Lisa code wise. At these high prices, we and the Munsters theme deserve a great deal more. Not saying I don’t like the game as is, but there isn’t much to it and to last in a HUO environment there needs to be a great deal more like other games have received and that is why so many people are holding out and not buying. I too like Dwight as a coder, but this game is very skimpy on TV series material and that is a travesty. Otherwise, if it is going to be just a scoring game, rename it to “Jackpot” and let our beloved Munsters theme have the love it deserves with another attempt. Those few happy as is, don’t update your machine when new code drop happens. (No one would ever pay $9k for T2)

Other than making the “skimpy on TV series material” what do you or all the others want for code improvement? Because what I gather from everybody saying the code needs improved they mostly focus on “there needs to be more TV material”. And I don’t get it.

How are a few more video clips going to augment or enhance game play?

Everybody talks about how great the video action is on Batman. My attitude on that is “give me a break”.

I recently made acquaintance with another Pinside who lives 1/2 mile from me. His lineup includes WOZ, TZ, Spider-Man, AC-DC, Houdini, The Beatles, and Batman. And I got to play all of them. And I liked all of them. I really liked WOZ in the home environment. And Houdini was interesting, also.

Batman kicked ass. Fast flippers. Nice shots. The crane is a nice touch, too. But the video everybody raves about did not seem like such a big deal to me.

Sure, the video is in color, but other than that I kept seeing the same 15-20 clips. Just like on Munsters, they got old, too. All of the time. So if there is something special about the Batman vids it sure has gone over my head. Other than the video being some extra eye candy, I don’t get it.

Would I like to have a Batman? Hell yes! It is great playing game with some very nice hitting flippers. The video, or lack of, is on the bottom of my list of attractions for buying a pin.

Would I trade my Munsters for a Batman? I would have to think a long time about that.

Would I trade Munsters for a WOZ? I believe I would. And not for the video. The game play on WOZ was a blast.

So, when everybody keeps saying Munsters needs more video I just shake my head because I cannot grasp how a few more video clips are going to help game action.

When people talk about Munsters needing more code, what kind of code does it need? And saying it needs more video is not an option?

Munsters is what it is. Two ramps, one orbit and a side shot with Dracula. And a ZAP button (on Batman it is a SMART button that I have not figured out yet).

Without mentioning video, what code does Munsters need?

#6566 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Everybody completely misses the point with Munsters code. It’s not about making it more complex for pinball wizards. They wanted to make a fun accessible game, but they missed so many opportunities to make it more fun with a few more basic modes and more media and sound bites. The Most glaring omission is few more modes that correspond to some of the most famous episodes like the baseball episode. Spot is barely used. Dracula is so unimaginative and boring. You barely have any interaction with the characters. Beautiful machine and they really missed the boat. Every time I play it, it feels the same. And I’m not a terrible player.

You too, Ozno,

What extra “basic” modes does it need? What media? What sound bites? Be specific. Because, sure as shit, if Stern were to address the “basic” modes it would not get the right basic modes and still have half of the pinball population nipping at its heels.

#6567 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Other than making the “skimpy on TV series material” what do you or all the others want for code improvement? Because what I gather from everybody saying the code needs improved they mostly focus on “there needs to be more TV material”. And I don’t get it.
How are a few more video clips going to augment or enhance game play?
Everybody talks about how great the video action is on Batman. My attitude on that is “give me a break”.
I recently made acquaintance with another Pinside who lives 1/2 mile from me. His lineup includes WOZ, TZ, Spider-Man, AC-DC, Houdini, The Beatles, and Batman. And I got to play all of them. And I liked all of them. I really liked WOZ in the home environment. And Houdini was interesting, also.
Batman kicked ass. Fast flippers. Nice shots. The crane is a nice touch, too. But the video everybody raves about did not seem like such a big deal to me.
Sure, the video is in color, but other than that I kept seeing the same 15-20 clips. Just like on Munsters, they got old, too. All of the time. So if there is something special about the Batman vids it sure has gone over my head. Other than the video being some extra eye candy, I don’t get it.
Would I like to have a Batman? Hell yes! It is great playing game with some very nice hitting flippers. The video, or lack of, is on the bottom of my list of attractions for buying a pin.
Would I trade my Munsters for a Batman? I would have to think a long time about that.
Would I trade Munsters for a WOZ? I believe I would. And not for the video. The game play on WOZ was a blast.
So, when everybody keeps saying Munsters needs more video I just shake my head because I cannot grasp how a few more video clips are going to help game action.
When people talk about Munsters needing more code, what kind of code does it need? And saying it needs more video is not an option?
Munsters is what it is. Two ramps, one orbit and a side shot with Dracula. And a ZAP button (on Batman it is a SMART button that I have not figured out yet).

I appreciate your viewpoint, cotton.

Munsters as is, is basically a one “Jackpot” trick pony (which I like) and I completely disagree with your assessment of one of the best games ever coded, Batman 66. It’s immersive into the series we all love. Want that same experience with Munsters is all we’re asking and that’s not too much to ask. I seem to recall you saying you don’t care much for video, so I get that the DMD era is fine for you. I don’t own any DMD machines and Stern has stopped selling DMDs. Frankly think in 2019, LCD coded games do circles around them, but that’s another discussion.

There is a thread already discussing specifically what we’d like to see in the game. Batman is an example of those specifics and what greatness Munsters should enjoy too. Lyman has been given the time, now Dwight needs to be given the time too, to make Munsters epic. Sales will reflect that once completed. Dwight said in a recent interview that Munsters has been sold to a small audience. The reason for that small audience is not because of how Munsters plays, but because of the lack of show material, modes, character involvement and on and on. There are 70+ shows. What is there now, could have come from 1 show.

Don’t get me started on the poor shot geometry of WOZ. There is a reason they had to install a center post in front of the trough, amongst many other issues. Both Batman and Munsters imo, shoots circles around WOZ. Have it in your home for a while and you’ll understand too.

#6568 4 years ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

It's for the speaker panel like the green slime ones for GB.
And the little one is for the coin door.
Turn the picture around.

Thank you. Yeah, just got an email from the vendor and they told me the same thing.

#6569 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Believe you're in the minority thinking this is a Mona Lisa code wise. At these high prices, we and the Munsters theme deserve a great deal more. Not saying I don’t like the game as is, but there isn’t much to it and to last in a HUO environment there needs to be a great deal more like other games have received and that is why so many people are holding out and not buying. I too like Dwight as a coder, but this game is very skimpy on TV series material and that is a travesty. Otherwise, if it is going to be just a scoring game, rename it to “Jackpot” and let our beloved Munsters theme have the love it deserves with another attempt. Those few happy as is, don’t update your machine when new code drop happens.
(No one would ever pay $9k for T2. In fact: buy T2 at $2,000 - $2,500 is what you'll find these at all day long. Sell Munsters at that price and no one will complain about the lack of show material code.)

Yeah the Mona Lisa analogy was a bit strong but I think it makes a point. No game is perfect and thankfully I feel this game is solid “as is”. I wouldn’t have plunked down my coin if I felt differently. I didn’t buy it for what I Hope it will one day become.

I would argue that T2 is now going for $3k and that I wouldn’t (and didn’t) spend $9k on Munsters. That said, I see your point...new pins are crazy expensive. You can find gameplay similar to Munsters for half the price (T2 as one example), but I don’t think that’s necessarily a reason NOT to create a new pin with an approachable ruleset.

In the end I’m hopeful that if Stern does decide to update this title, that it serves the gameplay.

As is said....“Perfect is the enemy of good”

#6570 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

More variety in scoring goals. The game is almost totally a one-trick pony - collect the jackpots and/or risk to increase points. More shots/goals unique to the characters in their modes.

And there needs to be unique goals/scoring based on video. Yes, you said no video but either you don’t seem to grasp how important video is to the theme or (as I suspect based on your comments) you don’t care (which is fine). Every single episode in Batman plays differently. It’s not the same goal just repeated. In many cases, shots correspond directly to the video (something like shoot ramp to deploy bat beam). Even a few “play through the episodes” modes would make Munsters more appealing, even if that means “copying” Batman.

If Munsters was an unlicensed game with equivalent code and game play, I’d have no problem with it as it stands now. But when you aren’t exploiting the best asset you have (the video) in a theme about an iconic television show, you are missing the mark. I want to see Munsters as an homage to the show in a pinball game, not a pinball game that would play the same regardless of the theme.

As a big fan of the show, it pains me not to own the game, especially since it looks great and shoots well. But the comparisons to Batman show the downsides of Munsters not truly integrating the theme into game play. Look at Elvira 3 even at pre 1.0 code - the code is all about the story/theme and uses the video to advance game play. That’s what Munsters needs to do.

#6571 4 years ago
Quoted from AdeptJR:

Thank you[quoted image]

They look cool. Where did they come from and what other mods did you get?

#6572 4 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Yeah the Mona Lisa analogy was a bit strong but I think it makes a point. No game is perfect and thankfully I feel this game is solid “as is”. I wouldn’t have plunked down my coin if I felt differently. I didn’t buy it for what I Hope it will one day become.
I would argue that T2 is now going for $3k and that I wouldn’t (and didn’t) spend $9k on Munsters. That said, I see your point...new pins are crazy expensive. You can find gameplay similar to Munsters for half the price (T2 as one example), but I don’t think that’s necessarily a reason NOT to create a new pin with an approachable ruleset.
In the end I’m hopeful that if Stern does decide to update this title, that it serves the gameplay.
As is said....“Perfect is the enemy of good”

I believe the distaste/ hesitation for some (possibly a majority) could tie into deeper aspects:

Things that code cannot address:

a) Many people will bash every new title, not buy, and berate anyone who does....too expensive - check ("x" %)
b) Some absolutely don't like mini playfields of any sort - ("x" %)
c) Some despise the "tiny ball" approach, regardless of how many features it has, period - check ("x" %)
d) Some despise mono targets - check ("x"%)
e) Some bash/ don't purchase Stern games - check ("x"%)
f) Some simply don't like the theme - check ("x"%)

Take the above out of the mix,

a) Enjoy the game absolutely "as is" (probably a small %)
b) Look forward to polish/ shine/ bug fixes (make the clock keep time) in 1 or 2 basic drops, anything added in featureset is appreciated, but not a requirement - This is where I live w the game. (probably a large %)
c) Looking for "the magic", "the overhaul", "the imagination", etc. in a complete code rework (probably a small %).

I would not be opposed to "c)" directly above, but can't even fathom they would do this. The game is well-liked by many and appears to hold it's own on route.
My belief/ understanding is "b)" being worked on currently.

Munsters will never be Batman, nor the other way around. They appeal to me in completely different ways when I choose one to play (TAF, TZ analogy is the best way I can describe it for us pinheads).

Personally, love this game - for everything it "isn't" it "is" .......

Sorry for long-winded post - not a rant, just my take.........

#6573 4 years ago
Quoted from AdeptJR:

Thank you. Yeah, just got an email from the vendor and they told me the same thing.

Who is the vendor?

#6574 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I believe the distaste/ hesitation for some (possibly a majority) could tie into deeper aspects:
Things that code cannot address:
a) Many people will bash every new title, not buy, and berate anyone who does....too expensive - check ("x" %)
b) Some absolutely don't like mini playfields of any sort - ("x" %)
c) Some despise the "tiny ball" approach, regardless of how many features it has, period - check ("x" %)
d) Some despise mono targets - check ("x"%)
e) Some bash/ don't purchase Stern games - check ("x"%)
f) Some simply don't like the theme - check ("x"%)
Take the above out of the mix,
a) Enjoy the game absolutely "as is" (probably a small %)
b) Look forward to polish/ shine/ bug fixes (make the clock keep time) in 1 or 2 basic drops, anything added in featureset is appreciated, but not a requirement - This is where I live w the game. (probably a large %)
c) Looking for "the magic", "the overhaul", "the imagination", etc. in a complete code rework (probably a small %).
I would not be opposed to "c)" directly above, but can't even fathom they would do this. The game is well-liked by many and appears to hold it's own on route.
My belief/ understanding is "b)" being worked on currently.
Munsters will never be Batman, nor the other way around. They appeal to me in completely different ways when I choose one to play (TAF, TZ analogy is the best way I can describe it for us pinheads).
Personally, love this game - for everything it "isn't" it "is" .......
Sorry for long-winded post - not a rant, just my take.........

Very well put!

I’m living somewhere between a and b.

Steve

#6575 4 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Very well put!
I’m living somewhere between a and b.
Steve

All I really need to be an "a" is the clock to function correctly, and some of the wonkiness to be sorted or consistent down in the lab......

side note - took my lower pf off today to just clean and change out (2x) rubbers I had missed prior...a very easy process, however, I see no way on earth the wireform could be changed from up top in 5 minutes as someone had stated at some point in the thread. Very curious on how that could be done, and definitely wouldn't recommend trying it....

#6576 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

I appreciate your viewpoint, cotton.
Munsters as is, is basically a one “Jackpot” trick pony (which I like) and I completely disagree with your assessment of one of the best games ever coded, Batman 66. It’s immersive into the series we all love. Want that same experience with Munsters is all we’re asking and that’s not too much to ask. I seem to recall you saying you don’t care much for video, so I get that the DMD era is fine for you. I don’t own any DMD machines and Stern has stopped selling DMDs. Frankly think in 2019, LCD coded games do circles around them, but that’s another discussion.
There is a thread already discussing specifically what we’d like to see in the game. Batman is an example of those specifics and what greatness Munsters should enjoy too. Lyman has been given the time, now Dwight needs to be given the time too, to make Munsters epic. Sales will reflect that once completed. Dwight said in a recent interview that Munsters has been sold to a small audience. The reason for that small audience is not because of how Munsters plays, but because of the lack of show material, modes, character involvement and on and on. There are 70+ shows. What is there now, could have come from 1 show.
Don’t get me started on the poor shot geometry of WOZ. There is a reason they had to install a center post in front of the trough, amongst many other issues. Both Batman and Munsters imo, shoots circles around WOZ. Have it in your home for a while and you’ll understand too.

Actually, I am focused on early solid state pins. Buying Munsters was out of character for me. But after walking down the arcade line, dropping 3 quarters, and playing shoot-drain, shoot-drain, I stepped up to Munsters and felt like I got my money's worth. At the pin festival, Marco had several Munsters set up to play. I was able to sample the product as much as any product can be sampled.

I have only been at this for 4 years. I'm no wizard. But I am getting better. I can see where some would call it a one-trick pony but for me there is a lot to do. Perhaps someday when/if I get to Level II in all items I will get bored with it. But that will probably be awhile.

I understand what you are saying about the 70 shows in the series although, as noted, the video is a loss for me. I do like the voice callouts.

But my newness to the hobby does not let me have any forward vision of what Munsters could be.

Quoted from Thunderbird:

Dwight said in a recent interview that Munsters has been sold to a small audience.

What interview was that? This is the first I have heard of this. What does he mean by "small"? Small could be anything. But it is not like pinballs are selling by the thousands.

If I were Dwight's boss, we would be having a conversation behind the woodshed. First, he says the code is complete---which killed sales. And now he is saying "small" sales which can further erode sales. When you are in business, business is always good. Even if business is the shits, business is always good. That is the 1st rule in business or sales. Business is always good, even when it is not. You will always have customers bad mouthing you for one thing or the other. There is little point in giving them extra ammo.

Anyway, I am happy with Munsters as it is, as are others.

#6577 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Actually, I am focused on early solid state pins. Buying Munsters was out of character for me. But after walking down the arcade line, dropping 3 quarters, and playing shoot-drain, shoot-drain, I stepped up to Munsters and felt like I got my money's worth. At the pin festival, Marco had several Munsters set up to play. I was able to sample the product as much as any product can be sampled.
I have only been at this for 4 years. I'm no wizard. But I am getting better. I can see where some would call it a one-trick pony but for me there is a lot to do. Perhaps someday when/if I get to Level II in all items I will get bored with it. But that will probably be awhile.
I understand what you are saying about the 70 shows in the series although, as noted, the video is a loss for me. I do like the voice callouts.
But my newness to the hobby does not let me have any forward vision of what Munsters could be.

What interview was that? This is the first I have heard of this. What does he mean by "small"? Small could be anything. But it is not like pinballs are selling by the thousands.
If I were Dwight's boss, we would be having a conversation behind the woodshed. First, he says the code is complete---which killed sales. And now he is saying "small" sales which can further erode sales. When you are in business, business is always good. Even if business is the shits, business is always good. That is the 1st rule in business or sales. Business is always good, even when it is not. You will always have customers bad mouthing you for one thing or the other. There is little point in giving them extra ammo.
Anyway, I am happy with Munsters as it is, as are others.

(Your woodshed comment cracked me up.) The interview was an excellent one and Dwight gave some fun history about his time at Williams and such. I believe it was episode 46 of the Slap Save Pinball Podcast. Matt and Jason sat down for a good chat with Dwight Sullivan. Really enjoyed it and think Dwight is a great guy and an awesome coder. But his comment about making all kinds of games for big groups like Jurassic Park and small groups like Munsters, doesn’t do Munsters any favors. I wanted to say to Dwight, turn/overhaul the code around and you’ll will soon see the group become large.

The LCD display is a powerful draw for people on the back box, when it let’s them relive their favorite childhood/adult theme. Munsters still has a huge fan base worldwide. That’s why Hollywood has tried to reboot it so many times, but not found the epic cast and writing of the original. Give that fan base lots of Munsters show material and you will see many more sales and not just to the same ol pinheads found here on pinside. I live in Tokyo part of the year. I can stop any person on the street that was young in the 60s and they know and love the Munsters. It’s a universal theme and a theme that sells very well even today. Should be one of the best themes ever to sell many pinball machines, if the most powerful advertisement on the machine is leveraged...none other than the backbox LCD display. That says it all. So I hope it is much more than Mark’s B choice. Give us the big C for colossal!

(Think this is the largest group %, not small - sampling everyone I speak with, this is what they’re looking for in order to buy - remember when Munsters was being hyped before release??? There was no bigger active thread on Pinside than the Munsters thousands and thousands of discussion comments (8,181 posts on the hype thread alone - much greater than the owners club here, that has almost ground to a halt, if it wasn’t for us discussing the code potential) - Pinside still is yet to have any theme have that large of interest. Why haven’t sales reflected that? Simple code is why. Yes, Stern needs a talking behind the woodshed. Lol)

#6578 4 years ago

@Thunderbird: you’ve nailed it in so many regards...
The potential for this pin for both code and theme integration is massive.

My clan loves the beauty of this game along with the seamless and smooth shot geometry.
However, there is still so much untapped potential for this pin to become all an all time classic.

Having owned Munsters for a while now, regretfully it recently gets less love than either BM66 or Jurassic LE.

It’s not that we don’t still enjoy Munsters- it brings a smile when we hit the start button. It still remains a fun experience but IMO needs some polish to enhance its longer term playability.
Question remains, will Stern give this amazing theme the additional love it deserves?

#6579 4 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Having owned Munsters for a while now, regretfully it recently gets less love than either BM66 or Jurassic LE.

Yeah but to be fair how many games that have ever been made can stand up to BM66 and JP? I mean that's two of the greatest games ever made JMK lol.

#6581 4 years ago

True Who-Dey, Jurassic and Batman 66 are crazy good games that have been coded so well.
I just feel that Munsters has all this same unrealized potential to compete in the same class as these amazing themes.
I’m confident, given the resources, Dwight can give this title a similar treatment as Lyman and Elwin have given their recent offerings.

#6582 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah but to be fair how many games that have ever been made can stand up to BM66 and JP? I mean that's two of the greatest games ever made JMK lol.

BM66 took an incredibly long time to become what it did.....the hype was far over the hype that Munsters ever received (Stern based its entire Expo that year on it...I remember, I was there)....got in trouble for touching the SLE that didn't even play behind the velvet rope. The SLE's and very, very limited runs of LE's were gone before the game could even flip. Batman theme is everywhere, probably always will be. Hell, even Odin had to have one for a bit...an EM purist. The code was promised, and it came. Without it, would have been the worst blunder ever. The game absolutely was unplayable when it got to my house. Early adopters were berated for what seemed like an eternity. There was alot more than just code to bitch about.

Munsters does not have the star power of Batman, but still an absolute gem, theme-wise. Ironically, the game itself was far more complete out of the gate than BM66 ever was. The game was (is) fun, beautiful, shoots great, and brought a toy that is more innovative than just a bash toy (which it has 3 of also). Munsters, the game can stand on its own, however, bears the shadow of BM66 over it. (JP simply doesn't count, as the honeymoon phase is still in full swing).

I am extremely confident "b" will come, and equally as confident more and more people will learn to love the game. Everybody wants "c" for just about every game in some shape (reskin, retheme, more code, tank the phone, make the hammer a hologram....the list goes on and on).

Munsters, right now, does things that many games don't do regardless of code. Whether people appreciate it now, later, or never, only time will tell.
It's a great game and Borg has every right to be proud of it. If "c" ever comes, I'd be first in line to load and enjoy it. As of now, myself, and many other people actually like the game (tough to bring it to light on pinside, however). People that are very affluent in the business, and respected by the industry in general....truth.

I believe in what I posted above as relative to the game's reception/ perception here....mine stays and I love it (just me).

#6583 4 years ago

For the record...I love code updates as much as anyone...bring on 20 if they choose.....

#6584 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

For the record...I love code updates as much as anyone...bring on 20 if they choose.....

Think as far as bottom line goes, Stern would be choosing wisely. Batman is big for sure and universal, but it was a contemporary of Munsters. Wolfman, Frankenstein, Count Dracula and his daughter are every bit as universal a theme, as I know everyone agrees. Remember watching both fondly on their debut with high anticipation each week. Stern giving us these themes to recall that, is awesome.

Now if they just threw in Get Smart (Spy/Humor theme) and I Dream of Jeanie (Magic/Space theme), there’d be even more games I’d have to buy. Lol

#6585 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Now if they just threw in Get Smart (Spy/Humor theme) and I Dream of Jeanie (Magic/Space theme), there’d be even more games I’d have to buy. Lol

Get Smart ,.. oh yeah,.. a pin that calls out “missed by that much” when the ball drains,.. dream theme I’d buy in a shot!!

#6586 4 years ago
Quoted from mrWol64:

Get Smart ,.. oh yeah,.. a pin that calls out “missed by that much” when the ball drains,.. dream theme I’d buy in a shot!!

Get your shoe phone fired up and call Stern.

#6587 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Get your shoe phone fired up and call Stern.

Of course it would have to be discussed within the "domes of silence" otherwise "KAOS" would break out on pinside lol.

#6588 4 years ago

Installed the Munsters topper today. Pretty straightforward and no issues with mine. Understand why people want to change out the light behind the Raven. Definitely more callouts for the Raven with the topper. I am not a bigger buyer of toppers but this one adds a lot to the game.

#6589 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Installed the Munsters topper today. Pretty straightforward and no issues with mine. Understand why people want to change out the light behind the Raven. Definitely more callouts for the Raven with the topper. I am not a bigger buyer of toppers but this one adds a lot to the game.

Yep it's a awesome topper. I cant wait to get my replacement.......if they ever send it that is.

#6590 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yep it's a awesome topper. I cant wait to get my replacement.......if they ever send it that is.

They got you down on their shit list for playfield issues - so you will be last one to get one. Lol

Too funny. Actually not, to many issues right now - steering clear!

#6591 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

They got you down on their shit list for playfield issues - so you will be last one to get one. Lol
Too funny. Actually not, to many issues right now - steering clear!

Yeah that's probably true. Kinda weird that I was like the first or second person to get a topper and now I cant get a replacement after everyone else has already gotten their replacements.

#6592 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah that's probably true. Kinda weird that I was like the first or second person to get a topper and now I cant get a replacement after everyone else has already gotten their replacements.

That sucks....sounds like your Distro not pushing....I'm going to start my daily call ritual looking for clock code fix tomorrow... hoping they are not counting on the existing cool features to overshadow the fact they need to finish this thing..

#6593 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That sucks....sounds like your Distro not pushing....I'm going to start my daily call ritual looking for clock code fix tomorrow... hoping they are not counting on the existing cool features to overshadow the fact they need to finish this thing..

Actually my distro (Zach) is staying on top of things and hes been very good about everything. I'm gonna call him in a few days if it dont show up and tell him to unload on them for me. I have faith in Zach and he is not my distro on my defective games.

#6594 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Actually my distro (Zach) is staying on top of things and hes been very good about everything. I'm gonna call him in a few days if it dont show up and tell him to unload on them for me. I have faith in Zach and he is not my distro on my defective games.

Cool...You need this thing...

#6595 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Cool...You need this thing...

I agree. I just want it to work though. I am so sick of dealing with problems that it's not even funny.

#6596 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I agree. I just want it to work though. I am so sick of dealing with problems that it's not even funny.

No doubt....seems like something on every game lately... they were hot on getting the topper out ( with good reason), now just finish the damn thing....FINISH THE TOPPER CODE...

#6597 4 years ago

Not Hating on the game or anything it is fun i have an LE and do enjoy it but Damn these have taken a massive loss in Australia. I am selling mine as i need to build a games room and this will fund part of it, Then back to collecting as i own a few machines. It is on par with Star wars here that took a massive loss also. I had a topper ordered when i bought the machine and they finally came to Australia about a month ago, I cancelled as i read all the horror stories with it so thought nope do not need another headache. I think i am at the point where i wont purchase until play first so could be the end of NIB LE for me.

#6598 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

I think i am at the point where i wont purchase until play first

Makes sense to me.

#6599 4 years ago

I have no opinion about the rules, but more character/shot specific modes would be awesome. More video and callouts would be great just to keep them from getting stale, which is my main gripe about WPC games. Mostly I would like to see more code because the price of this machine has tanked. I would love for it to become a coveted title in high demand and hold its value.

#6600 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

the price of this machine has tanked.

What kind of prices are you seeing? Really, "tanked' does not say much. Are prices off 10%? 20%? Most items bought new, like a car, experience a 10% 20% decline after leaving the show room. If a new pin were to slide that much, I think I would consider it normal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 11,844 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 237.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1313-mockingbird-lane-munsters-club/page/132 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.