You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“130 EM games better than Hot Tip?”

• Hot Tip is the greatest EM of all time! 1 vote
    4%
  • There are NOT 130 EM pins that are better than Hot Tip. 10 votes
    42%
  • There are 130 EM pins that are better than Hot Tip. So says Pinside. 13 votes
    54%

(24 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I'm calling shenanigans! Hit Tip is the greatest EM pin ever made. 6 drops targets, captive ball, spinner, 2 kick out holes. F'ing classic pinball at its finest.

#2 1 year ago

I’d love to own a Hot Tip EM but even more ridiculous than it being ranked #131 is Gottlieb Fast Draw being ranked #189 and Bally Freedom being ranked #212. Heck, Freedom has drop targets, 2 Spinners, 2 kick out holes and a colorful spinning random wheel. Lots of fun.

I think it’s due to a lack of ratings and ratings from some SS guys who are mostly into newer machines.

#3 1 year ago

Hot Tip's popularity in the Pinside rankings is probably screwed up by the pin having also been released in Solid State form. That said, I see a fair amount of symmetry in the playfield, which is not a good thing.

#4 1 year ago

It is a very good playing EM with a lot going on.

Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I’d love to own a Hot Tip EM but even more ridiculous than it being ranked #131 is Gottlieb Fast Draw being ranked #189 and Bally Freedom being ranked #212. Heck, Freedom has drop targets, 2 Spinners, 2 kick out holes and a colorful spinning random wheel. Lots of fun.
I think it’s due to a lack of ratings and ratings from some SS guys who are mostly into newer machines.

For the most part, multi-player EMs always get short schrift when compared to their single player brethren.

#5 1 year ago

I haven't played one....yet. Cleopatra is in a similar boat. They both came out as an EM and SS and they didn't make many EM's of either of these titles, so not as many people have played them. Needs more ratings. So someone with a Hot Tip bring it on over to my house so I can play it and give it a fair rating

I think Hot Tip has a cool layout. People bash on the Cleo layout too but it's brutality is what makes it attractive.

#6 1 year ago

For most EM games there are not enough ratings, or Pinsiders that rate EM games. Most will take any Pinside ratings with a Grain of Salt. As these are usually based on the raters personal preferences. Example, one who likes drop targets, will rank a drop target game much higher than a game with no drop targets.

#7 1 year ago

The SS version of hot tip has a score reel unit to imitate the noise of a horse galloping and also a buzzer. Neither of these is found in the EM version.

#8 1 year ago

You forgot the option to vote for 130 em game one of them being Hot Tip EM I wanted to vote there. EM pinball doesn't get the love it should. There is one forum being parted now just because of cabinet issues. Had a place to store it would buy the fixer upper.

#9 1 year ago

Hot Tip is my favorite EM I’ve ever played, and I’m all-EM. And even though it was also produced as a SS, I think the EM ruleset is better, makes the spinner more important, since attaining the first horseshoe makes the spinner worth 1,000 points. I played it 2 years in a row at ReplayFX and couldn’t get enough of it, so I searched until I got one.

There’s no way it should be so poorly ranked. The rankings are subjective, and I'm sure a lot more people have played other pins with much higher units produced and rated them, but have never played a Hot Tip EM.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

So someone with a Hot Tip bring it on over to my house so I can play it and give it a fair rating

I’ll have to have you come over sometime!

#11 1 year ago

Em ratings are for boosting the sales price on your Bally dud.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Em ratings are for boosting the sales price on your Bally dud.

Aww, come on now....

I've have/had Gottlieb's, William's and Bally's. They each have their own quirks, there are gems and duds from each them as well.

If anyone in the MI want's to trade their Hot Tip for another EM I might be swayed....

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The SS version of hot tip has a score reel unit to imitate the noise of a horse galloping and also a buzzer. Neither of these is found in the EM version.

The "noise reel" was used in early Williams system 3 games (installed in at least Hot Tip and Lucky Seven, but supported in game software on all system 3 games) not to simulate horse galloping but the sound of EM scoring. Of course the EM version does not need that. The buzzer was only for tilt warnings, which aren't available in EM games.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

If anyone in the MI want's to trade their Hot Tip for another EM I might be swayed....

Sorry, mine’s bolted to the floor. If I had to cut the collection size to one pin, that would be it!

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Sorry, mine’s bolted to the floor. If I had to cut the collection size to one pin, that would be it!

#hottipisthegoat

1 year later
#16 68 days ago

Now at a more respectable but still too low #80.

#17 68 days ago

I've never played Hot Tip, but it looks fun. I've played a bunch of Argosy and Space Mission and Hot Tip has even more going on with it than those. I'm not a fan of the Williams chimes.

#18 68 days ago

It’s not easy to light all three shoes. Resetting drops that increase in value, risky captive ball shot. Plays fast and it’s a really nice looking package. One of the best William’s games of the 70’s era.

#19 68 days ago

I grew up in the thoroughbred horse racing business and spent 15 years working in it, so Hot Tip has been on my wishlist for awhile.

Never played it but you can see from YouTube videos that it’s a blast to play. I just missed out on one locally a few years back to another Pinsider but I’m glad someone on here got it.

2 weeks later
#22 47 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

That one is very nice from what I see. BG looks good too.

Yeah it looks pretty nice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/130-em-games-better-than-hot-tip?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.