diode-testing.gif
image-498.jpg
image-857.jpg
image-676.jpg
image-620.jpg
image-809.jpg
image-892.jpg
IMG_2386.JPG
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Bought a new Rottendog rectifier after rebuilding 3 boards. All test points are good except TP3 I'm getting 6.5v. This is with J2 only plugged in. I tried 4 transformers and I'm still getting the same thing. Did I blow the 12v on the transformer? Can it be fixed? I repinned J1,2 and 3. I didn't do anything to the SDB. So far the only good that has come of this, I bought a new Hakko 888 and FR300.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Is c23 connected on the driver board? Check the AC reading on the transformer too. Use the transformer drawing to find the two ac points of the 12v bridge.

#3 9 years ago

Since you are only getting half of your 12volts dc, I would say only half of your Bridge Rectifier
is working.
I doubt you have 4 bad power Transformers !
Transformer.... Remove F3 and check the voltage across E11-E12
@ s/b 12v. ac
Bridge Rectifier..... if your transformer reads ok.
@ BR is bad
@ missing/bad ground connection on BR.
*** Check your Pinside mail
John

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Is c23 connected on the driver board? Check the AC reading on the transformer too. Use the transformer drawing to find the two ac points of the 12v bridge.

I replaced C23 to eliminate that. Can't find a transformer schematic. Still looking.

#5 9 years ago

Here is a link to the schematic:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2406/Bally_1978_Strikes_and_Spares_Manual_w_Schematics.pdf

The rectifier board is on page 42 and 43. Turn your DMM to VAC and place one lead on E11 and the other on E12. If your transformer is working correctly, you should have 12 VAC.

#6 9 years ago

IMG_2385.JPGIMG_2385.JPGIMG_2385.JPGIMG_2385.JPGTRANSFORMER....... 15 &16 go to E11 & E12
F3 goes to E11.
If you measure across E11 & E12 with fuse F3 lifted you will read the 12vac of the transformer.

#7 9 years ago

All three, same results.

image-310.jpgimage-310.jpg
#8 9 years ago

Noticed on the plug that the ground post was cut off. Could this be causing my issue?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

Since you are only getting half of your 12volts dc, I would say only half of your Bridge Rectifier
is working.
I doubt you have 4 bad power Transformers !
Transformer.... Remove F3 and check the voltage across E11-E12
@ s/b 12v. ac
Bridge Rectifier..... if your transformer reads ok.
@ BR is bad
@ missing/bad ground connection on BR.
*** Check your Pinside mail
John

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

Here is a link to the schematic:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2406/Bally_1978_Strikes_and_Spares_Manual_w_Schematics.pdf
The rectifier board is on page 42 and 43. Turn your DMM to VAC and place one lead on E11 and the other on E12. If your transformer is working correctly, you should have 12 VAC.

I'm getting 13.1, most encouraging thing all night.

#11 9 years ago

One terminal of the Bridge must be grounded......
IMG_2386.JPGIMG_2386.JPG

#12 9 years ago

Is your meter on DC at TP3?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-one:

Noticed on the plug that the ground post was cut off. Could this be causing my issue?

No, this would not be affecting your lack of 13 volts DC at TP3.

So, let me be sure I understand you correctly. You have 4 separate transformer and rectifier board assemblies (the one pictured in the machine and the 3 on your bench). When you hook up 120 volts to the transformer (via a connected J2 connector), you get 12 volts AC at points E11 and E12. However, when you switch your digital voltmeter to DC volts, and place the red lead on TP3 and the black lead on ground, you only get 6.5 volts DC on all four units?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Is your meter on DC at TP3?

Yes

#15 9 years ago

so its working now ???

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

No, this would not be affecting your lack of 13 volts DC at TP3.
So, let me be sure I understand you correctly. You have 4 separate transformer and rectifier board assemblies (the one pictured in the machine and the 3 on your bench). When you hook up 120 volts to the transformer (via a connected J2 connector), you get 12 volts AC at points E11 and E12. However, when you switch your digital voltmeter to DC volts, and place the red lead on TP3 and the black lead on ground, you only get 6.5 volts DC on all four units?

That is correct. To make things worse, when I plug in J3 my voltage goes to zero on TP3. The transformer on the left had 12v until I plugged in J3, now like the other two I'm getting 6.5 volts. I'm not touching the fourth transformer. I didn't plug in J3 with it. It's in my Night Rider now.

#17 9 years ago

hi all--im all ears as I have same exact problem with my bone busters..il stay tuned

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

so its working now ???

The transformer is working! I have 13 volts AC across E11 and E12.

#19 9 years ago

Check your PinMail..................
If you have 13Vac across E11-E12 and your getting 6.5Vdc at TP3 .............
It seems like something is Miswired between the Transformer inputs and your E9-E12 points.
It seems like you have the 7.8Vac and the 12Vac input lines reversed.
Check your transformer wiring that is connected to your board. I don't see it; is it connected behind the board.
* transformer terminals 15-16 are the 12Vac inputs
" " 13-14 " " 7.8Vac

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

With proper voltage measured as 13Vac across E11-12, I highly doubt that it is anything else other than the only component in circuit - the bridge rectifier. Why not just test the bridge rectifier? If you have an open diode cutting off half of the AC cycle you will have half of the ripple frequency (60HZ instead of 120HZ) and a much lower output voltage. You can pull the bridge and check each diode with a meter, or you can use an oscilloscope, frequency counter or DMM with a frequency measuring function to check the output in circuit.

#21 9 years ago

All 3 units are doing the same thing........... that's pretty high odds all of them are bad! IMO.
Yes... If he installed the Bridges himself, he may have put them in wrong.
If E11-E12 are wired correctly...... then its a Bridge problem or missing ground!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

All 3 units are doing the same thing........... that's pretty high odds all of them are bad! IMO.

I do agree. I think it best to use the tools to find out what is going on. There's really not much on this board to look at if the transformer is supplying the correct ACV at the bridge. We are also assuming measurements are being done correctly, and also could be measuring wrong if negative lead of meter is not referencing actual ground (in other words if ground is floating at 6VDC then you would be measuring 6VDC at TP3)

#23 9 years ago

Right ....... I mentioned and posted a picture of the ground connection.
Evidently these boards are a major problem.
I just got a Mata Hari with a 'smoked' board and a transformer with the high voltage
terminal GONE........ Ugh.
These boards should never have been 'hard wired'....... too many potential problems!

#24 9 years ago

I had a DMM many years ago that suddenly went bad. The AC voltage would read fine, but when I switched it over to DC voltage, it would only display a fraction of the actual voltage. If the OP is getting 6.5 volts DC on all of his assemblies, maybe there is a problem with the DMM.

#25 9 years ago

What meter do you have?

Can you post a pic of where you have the leads plugged in ?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What meter do you have?

Nothing fancy. image-892.jpgimage-892.jpg

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

As Vid mentioned in his post, a picture of your DMM leads attached to the rectifier board assembly would show us if you are taking the voltage measurements at the right spot.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

Check your PinMail..................
It seems like something is Miswired between the Transformer inputs and your E9-E12 points.
It seems like you have the 7.8Vac and the 12Vac input lines reversed.
Check your transformer wiring that is connected to your board. I don't see it; is it connected behind the board.
* transformer terminals 15-16 are the 12Vac inputs
" " 13-14 " " 7.8Vac

Back of the board.
image-809.jpgimage-809.jpg

#29 9 years ago

Very Nice job........ So where are we now ?
You verified the the voltage at E11-E12 is 12Vac........ Yes or No ?
All the other TP voltages are correct........ Yes or No ?
Did this board fail in the machine or are you just bench testing it before you install it ?
Did the other two boards fail in the machine ?

#30 9 years ago

Verified 12 vac good.
All TP voltages are good except TP3
Passed on bench, failed in machine.
Yes all boards failed in the machine.
Bridge test photo's first photo is BR1' second BR2 third BR3. Red lead on neg black on pos.

image-620.jpgimage-620.jpg
image-676.jpgimage-676.jpg
image-857.jpgimage-857.jpg

#31 9 years ago

That's really not a great way to test a bridge rectifier, it would be best to remove the bridge to test properly. Use the diode setting on your meter and work your way around the bridge. On each set of terminals take a reading in both directions, for a total of 8 readings ( 2 reading on each diode ). The diodes will read OPEN in one direction & the breakdown voltage will be shown on the meter in the other direction ( typically .4-.6volts ).

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-one:

Verified 12 vac good.
All TP voltages are good except TP3
Passed on bench, failed in machine.
Yes all boards failed in the machine.
Bridge test photo's first photo is BR1' second BR2 third BR3. Red lead on neg black on pos.
......................................................................................................................
If all these boards failed in the machine( Strikes & Spares ?) and all the dc voltages are
WRONG at TP3........ that tells me the problem is at J3-8.
J3-8........ 5V Regulator/C23/C24/C29
* All 3 BR2 rectifiers are most liked Blown....... IMO.
** When you check a Diode, you have to check in both directions
@ Forward and Reverse bias (reverse the leads)
Keep at it...... don't give up the Ship.
John
*** Wayout,
I was writing while you posted, so I didn't see your comment about diode testing.
Didn't mean to be redundant.

#33 9 years ago

No problem, JKnPA

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

No problem, JKnPA

I'm a slow typer and try not so say stupid things.....

#35 9 years ago

I will pull them tonight. Hopefully my Hakko will show up.

#36 9 years ago

Just thought I would add this......... diode checking !
I like to use my analog multimeter to check diodes because that is what I always used at work.
I have a new digital multimeter( cheap O) from harbor freight, but I'm not quite sure how good it
is when checking diodes.
Anyway............
Analog test

Digital meter

#38 9 years ago

While 'Pin-one" is waiting for his new soldering iron to arrive........
Question: Does anyone sell just the 'bare board' for this assy. ?
I know you can buy kits to replace parts, and a totally new board.
But what about just replacing the bare board if it has some severe burn marks.
I did a Search......but I found nothing !
John

#39 9 years ago

Talk to one of the manufacturers of these aftermarket boards. You might find someone who will sell you one

Quoted from JKnPA:While 'Pin-one" is waiting for his new soldering iron to arrive........
Question: Does anyone sell just the 'bare board' for this assy. ?
I know you can buy kits to replace parts, and a totally new board.
But what about just replacing the bare board if it has some severe burn marks.
I did a Search......but I found nothing !
John

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Talk to one of the manufacturers of these aftermarket boards. You might find someone who will sell you one

Thanks......
I guess the market( Volume) isn't there for retailers to sell them.
I'm thinking if I have a burnt board with only one or two bad components, I may want to replace the board too.
John

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

amazon.com link »

You don't like my meter barak?

#42 9 years ago

This is BR2. Pretty much the same reading when it was on the board.image-498.jpgimage-498.jpg

#43 9 years ago

You can't really measure across terminals that way with one reading.

On each set of terminals take a reading in both directions, for a total of 8 readings ( 2 reading on each diode ). The diodes will read OPEN in one direction & the breakdown voltage will be shown on the meter in the other direction ( typically .4-.6volts ).

diode-testing.gifdiode-testing.gif

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You can't really measure across terminals that way with one reading.
On each set of terminals take a reading in both directions, for a total of 8 readings ( 2 reading on each diode ). The diodes will read OPEN in one direction & the breakdown voltage will be shown on the meter in the other direction ( typically .4-.6volts ).

diode-testing.gif 12 KB

Thanks wayout, I did watch a video on testing bridge rectifiers. The only reading I got is what is in the picture. I did check pos to neg, neg to pos. I had to use my nose to Hit the button to take the picture. Not easy and glad my wife did have to see that! What has me confused is this is a new Rottendog board. What are the chances they are bad?

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-one:

Thanks wayout, I did watch a video on testing bridge rectifiers. The only reading I got is what is in the picture. I did check pos to neg, neg to pos. I had to use my nose to Hit the button to take the picture. Not easy and glad my wife did have to see that! What has me confused is this is a new Rottendog board. What are the chances they are bad?

The picture still shows you testing incorrectly, across the bridge and not adjacent pins. I don't know what video you watched, but that's an incomplete test. Each of the 4 diodes on the bridge should be checked for forward voltage drop in one direction and be open in the reverse direction, and they are measured from adjacent pins, not from where your leads are. From the information you presented I cannot say with certainty that the bridge is good or bad.

350129-i.jpg350129-i.jpg
#46 9 years ago

Very Good Wayout........ I didn't see that in the picture. too much black stuff! LoL.
I posted the video in my post testing with an analog and Digital
multimeter for diodes; it was not a Bridge, so I guess it didn't help.
When testing you have to look at the schematic for test points.
* Just noticed that test he did shows something! I believe you should read OPEN testing that way, because one diode will always be reversed-biased either way you put the leads.
Check it out.....
*** I'm thinking all the BR2 bridges are blown. I think Q2 on the solenoid board is the
problem.
Just my thoughts.
**** BTW...... thanks for sending the snow this way.....

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

* Just noticed that test he did shows something! I believe you should read OPEN testing that way, because one diode will always be reversed-biased either way you put the leads.

On these two points you are measuring the sum total of 2 pairs of diodes in a series-parallel combined circuit. Yes you will see some measurement, but you can have all sorts of problems with the diodes and not really know what you are looking at.

Diodes-bridge-Rectifier.jpgDiodes-bridge-Rectifier.jpg

#48 9 years ago

Ok............ you are correct with those two particular leads; but the other way I believe its an Open
circuit because one diode will be reverse biased.....
Thanks for pointing that out.
Anyway........... that is not the correct way to test the Bridge......as you stated!

#49 9 years ago

You guys have helped a lot. I have some work tonight. I took a transformer to work to have my electrician check it out. I'm learning a lot today.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-one:

I took a transformer to work to have my electrician check it out.

http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/as-2518-18-wiring.htm

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/12v-issue-on-strikes-and-spares and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.