Instruction-Card-Template----Final-Mockup-w-0.25-in.-Bleed (resized).jpg
TZ Manuals.jpg
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
FB_IMG_1502681702775.jpg
IMG_6065 (resized).JPG
2a0fa738f28e5d52157da4a6e9d88508--funny-star-trek-patrick-stewart (resized).jpg
manuel fawlty towers (resized).jpg
tenor (resized).png

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

what constitutes a "service manual?"

We got by with schematics for years.

since I took the position of tech support for spooky.

And you are doing a good job.

What you do come up with, will help. To fix something you don't always need the fluff. Basics always gets the job done.

LTG : )

#102 5 years ago

Sadly, proper documentation is all too frequently overlooked these days, and not just in pinball. Good technical writing and illustration are not trivial tasks, and require a very special skillset. I'm glad that Christopher is willing to tackle some of it. As for the PinHeck documentation, the schematic and other documentation have been posted at the LongHornEngineer GitHub repository for years. It took me seconds to find it.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

From my perspective I think any good manual should follow a similar template to what we are used to with classic 90s Bally/Williams.
Intro
1.General logic of game function (i.e. switching power supply, line voltages, general large scale component diagram)
2. Settings, Options, and what they mean
3. Rubber chart w/ diagram/labels
4. Coil chart w diagram/label
5. Switch chart w diagram/labels
6. Switch matrix
7. Lamp matrix
8. Schematics/ Wire color/ connectors/etc
9. Common troubleshooting
10. Blow up of main mechs with part numbers/ etc
Rules and shots, play stuff is all online in various format now a days. I would not worry about that stuff.
Worry about the things that are useful for troubleshooting, ordering parts, understanding what to test/where when diagnosing an issue.

Exactly. Just look at any 1990's Williams pinball manual. That's the way a manual should be: clear, concise, and with all the information a technician needs to service a machine whether it's on location, in the shop, or in a private home. Plus an illustrated parts list in case a part(s) might need to be ordered.

I will add to this a FUSE LIST and location of said fuses.

#104 5 years ago

which coils do you need to be identified?
what part of the 120v AC power do you need?
coin door wiring is part of the switch wiring is documented on the wire-to-board pdf.
Board schematics are/will be difficult to come by. to my knowledge the schematics were never given to us for either the PinHeck system or for any of the P-Roc boards.
let me know how i can assist.

I don't need it now, but in the future, other technicians will need that information. Just look at Williams manuals. You'll find AC power wiring diagrams, DC power wiring diagrams, which driver transistor operates which coil or lamp, and schematics of every single board in the machine. This is why I put together as much as I could for the pinwiki Spooky Pinball Repair Guide there, to help other folks repair their Spooky machine.

Without board schematics, how is a game board supposed to get fixed? Send the board to Ben Heck or Multimorphic for repair? If that's case, that can mean an on-location game could be down for weeks. What if either company should suddenly go out of business?

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

As for the PinHeck documentation, the schematic and other documentation have been posted at the LongHornEngineer GitHub repository for years.

I've never heard of that repository nor ever knew of it's existance.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I don't need it now, but in the future, other technicians will need that information. Just look at Williams manuals. You'll find AC power wiring diagrams, DC power wiring diagrams, which driver transistor operates which coil or lamp, and schematics of every single board in the machine. This is why I put together as much as I could for the pinwiki Spooky Pinball Repair Guide there, to help other folks repair their Spooky machine.
Without board schematics, how is a game board supposed to get fixed? Send the board to Ben Heck or Multimorphic for repair? If that's case, that can mean an on-location game could be down for weeks. What if either company should suddenly go out of business?

Exactly this. And double yes to the fuse chart.

Problem is all this stuff is spread all over inter webs, some even only in forum responses, a lot nowhere at all apparently.

I don’t want to be a jerk but it’s long past time Spooky provided these docs in a central location on their own website, along with code updates. It’s time to put their “big-boy” pants on and get their technical documentation up to snuff.

#109 5 years ago

When I first worked on Dominos (for an "all flippers dead" symptom), the first thing I thought is "it must be a blown fuse". Then I started looking for fuses. I was floored when at first glance I couldn't find any fuses. I kept thinking "where the fuck are the fuses?". I looked everywhere. Then I looked up again at the game board. There were some little black rectangle things on the board about the size of a fuse that caught my eye. I started poking around them when the top of one these black rectangles popped off. There inside was a fuse! Who in the hell hides fuses? Sure enough, after popping the tops off the other black rectangles, I found all the fuses and there was a blown one. There should have at least been a fuse label in the backbox like Williams provided on their machines. Saves a lot of grief and time in my opinion.

Until Spooky starts providing some real technical documention on their website, they should change the name of their company to "Backyard Pinball" in my opinion.

#110 5 years ago

How about they post pdf files instead. I can't open the files there.

1 month later
#111 5 years ago

Here is some driver transistor information I compiled for Dominos:

Transistors "SOL0" through "SOL23" are type IRL540PBF mosfets (solenoid drivers).

Transistors "GI0" through "GI15" are type TIP102.

Transistors "U20" through "U27" are type TIP107.

Transistors "U28" through "U35" are type TIP102.

Fuse F1 (3 amp slo-blo) controls solenoids 0 through 7.

Fuse F2 (3 amp slo-blo) controls solenoids 8 through 15.

Fuse F3 (3 amp slo-blo) controls solenoids 16 through 23.

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

When I first worked on Dominos (for an "all flippers dead" symptom), the first thing I thought is "it must be a blown fuse". Then I started looking for fuses. I was floored when at first glance I couldn't find any fuses. I kept thinking "where the fuck are the fuses?". I looked everywhere. Then I looked up again at the game board. There were some little black rectangle things on the board about the size of a fuse that caught my eye. I started poking around them when the top of one these black rectangles popped off. There inside was a fuse! Who in the hell hides fuses? Sure enough, after popping the tops off the other black rectangles, I found all the fuses and there was a blown one. There should have at least been a fuse label in the backbox like Williams provided on their machines. Saves a lot of grief and time in my opinion.
Until Spooky starts providing some real technical documention on their website, they should change the name of their company to "Backyard Pinball" in my opinion.

I love spooky but gotta agree they need some big boy pants now or guys are not going to route them as fixes take too long.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 10.00
Electronics
NinjaCamp Mods
Electronics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/12k-not-to-happy-spooky-1/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.