Instruction-Card-Template----Final-Mockup-w-0.25-in.-Bleed (resized).jpg
TZ Manuals.jpg
IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
FB_IMG_1502681702775.jpg
IMG_6065 (resized).JPG
2a0fa738f28e5d52157da4a6e9d88508--funny-star-trek-patrick-stewart (resized).jpg
manuel fawlty towers (resized).jpg
tenor (resized).png

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

My father who is 83 has been buying pinballs for years.I,m talking brand new WW, FT,TZ, AF, the list goes forever. Probably 30 new sterns, we have 200 pins in our collection
25 pitch n bats.He,s done 40 - playfield swaps but his down fall is he does not use a computer. After getting Dominos and Jetsons supporting spooky.no coin box, no manuel, no score cards ? There reply was go on line and print them. He even offered to buy them ? So next game will be another jjp, Houdini, sorry Spooky but you gotta take care of clients spending $12,500 and was hoping for a scooby doo

#2 6 years ago

let's see here, no manual has been from day 1 with AMH. Not that much in manuals anyway besides safety stuff, more cost savings to have info on the websites. As the same with score cards, everyone is doing custom stuff again, using the internet. Coinbox not there, kinda gonna snicker at that due to my mmrle that was far more money has no coin mechs. Basically if you're an operator you can spend the money yourself and get it as home use has no need. You will find all manufacturers take short cuts to sell their product that people will buy. I like that the cost cutting went to a real backglass and playfields that don't chip and cabs that don't fall apart.
I sympathize that your dad is older and not internet savy but if you have the time to post here on pinside to voice this then you can help dad print up score cards.
-Mike

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

So next game will be another jjp

JJP doesn't come with a paper manual either, only CD! Also, the Hobbit doesn't even have a place for score cards none the less cards! So tell your dad to stay away from JJP as well unless he's willing to wait for them to make the paper manual and he's willing to spend the $100 to buy it!

#5 6 years ago

A good son would help him print them.

Also you have too much money if you have 200 pins and wasted money on jetsons and dominos

#6 6 years ago

I think you are all missing the point. This guy inquired asking can you help me out? After spending $12.5K with them, I find it to be it poor customer service that they didn't cheerfully do what he needed. This is after he offered to pay too. It was a poor move on Spooky's part *IF* this is really what happened.

Yeah , I get it, the cards, manuals, and coin boxes never came with the any of the machines, but to just blow a guy off after he has bought 2 games from this newer , boutique pinball company. Not a good move in my book.

#7 6 years ago

It doesn't sound like they blew him off. Sounds like they directed him on where to print them or find them.
As to the coin box, who cares? Unless your an operator or charging your friends, what's the point?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I think you are all missing the point. This guy inquired asking can you help me out? After spending $12.5K with them, I find it to be it poor customer service that they didn't cheerfully do what he needed. This is after he offered to pay too. It was a poor move on Spooky's part *IF* this is really what happened.
Yeah , I get it, the cards, manuals, and coin boxes never came with the any of the machines, but to just blow a guy off after he has bought 2 games from this newer , boutique pinball company. Not a good move in my book.

Thank you for understanding my message at least someone understood my point. He did offer to pay for all of it , 2 coin boxes, manuels, score cards
They told him to go on the the internet, not the answer he wanted to here.Hope the rest of pinside gets the point !

#9 6 years ago

Something is missing here. I find it VERY hard to believe your father doesnt use a computer? 40 playfield swaps....and never referenced the internet once for research?

Everyone seems to be pretty pleased with Spooky.....I would be curious how this conversation went.....vs "Spooky told my 83 year old father to piss off for not using a computer....."

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Hope the rest of pinside gets the point !

I don't get it, what's the point?

Is the point that if you have enough money every company should indulge in your requests? Maybe the point is that they should treat you special if they want a returning customer? Or is the point to bitch enough that you shame them into giving you products that they don't usually offer normal customers? Or maybe it's your frustration that they told you to help yourself and print off the provided documents?

Please print the pages, then order coin boxes from Marco.

Just my 2 cents

#11 6 years ago

Spooky has the best support in my book because charlie responded fast and fix my issues really fast. Thumbs up to spooky for doing it right unlike some others...

#12 6 years ago

Charlie and Kayte Emery are good people with a good business. Perhaps you should reach out to them personally?

#13 6 years ago

Curious. Besides the manual, "cash box and score cards" the latter two you could help him with.

The important thing. Does he play the games ? Does he like the games ?

If your Father likes the games, the three things aren't important then. And if you buy a Spooky pin, your Father has Charlie's phone number. And Chris at King Pin Games recently started helping with tech support. So a manual may not be that important should your Father need help, with Charlie and Chris on the job.

LTG : )

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I
Sounds like a whiny entitlement problem to me. Shut up and print the pages, then order coin boxes from Marco.
Just my 2 cents

Now I,m whiny? Shut up and print the pages.

Look me up in CA will see who starts whining.
I dont see a problem trying to accommodate a 83 yr man .If my customers are willing to pay for it and have the money I make sure they get it.Thats smart business.My dads old school , I put you under no scholl !

#17 6 years ago

Could someone here please make some score cards to help an 83 year old pin fan enjoy his games ?

For Jetson's and Dominos in particular.

If someone could, I'll see you get a couple of my Expo mugs for this year.

Thank you,
LTG : )

#18 6 years ago

Any guesses on how long it will take this thread to get locked?

#19 6 years ago

I walk away envious of a 83 year old who can see a damn score card.
I'm already blind as a friggin bat.
Lucky guy.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

My father who is 83 has been buying pinballs for years.I,m talking brand new WW, FT,TZ, AF, the list goes forever. Probably 30 new sterns, we have 200 pins in our collection
25 pitch n bats.He,s done 40 - playfield swaps but his down fall is he does not use a computer. After getting Dominos and Jetsons supporting spooky.no coin box, no manuel, no score cards ? There reply was go on line and print them. He even offered to buy them ? So next game will be another jjp, Houdini, sorry Spooky but you gotta take care of clients spending $12,500 and was hoping for a scooby doo

Well someone is here using a computer to bitch and complain about the situation. Can't you be part of the solution and use that computer to print some cards and a manual for your ancient old dad? Good grief.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I dont see a problem trying to accommodate a 83 yr man .If my customers are willing to pay for it and have the money I make sure they get it.Thats smart business.My dads old school , I put you under no scholl !

No scholl??! I wasn't going to say anything but you might want to back out of that one. Your grammar and spelling are so bad it's nearly unreadable.

Not really the point though so back to the discussion -- why should you or your dad get special treatment? 83 year old or not, it's not up to Spooky to go out of their way to accommodate you if something is readily available. Go print the (free) damn manuals, grab some (probably free) custom cards and call it a day. Coin boxes?? For home use??

#22 6 years ago

tenor (resized).pngtenor (resized).png

#23 6 years ago

None of us have any idea of the conversation and how it happened. I'm even guessing the Dad never talked to someone from Spooky directly, or didn't clearly state his age and lack of internet.

I find it very hard to believe all of it. If your dad had called them and explained his situation, I really cannot believe they would not have found some way to help.

Please confirm that your Dad did call them directly and whom he spoke with.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

They don't provide manuals or score cards for any of their games and it's not a secret. They market mostly to collectors so no need for coin boxes but they have always been helpful when someone let's them know before hand that the game will be used on route.

Why would you not just print the stuff your dad needs? Problem solved. If you have 200 games and do restores you have extra coin boxes laying around. Second problem solved.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

None of us have any idea of the conversation and how it happened.

Scusi Mista Spooky, my manuel is fawlty.

manuel fawlty towers (resized).jpgmanuel fawlty towers (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Something is missing here. I find it VERY hard to believe your father doesnt use a computer? 40 playfield swaps....and never referenced the internet once for research?

I guessing a decent percentage of people on this forum lived more than half their lives without internet. Brace yourself -you could actually do complex things with a paper manual before it existed.

#27 6 years ago

The point is that a guy bought a $6K game (x2) and didn't get the manual, score cards, and cash box that he was expecting. The same manual, score cards, and cash box that he got with the previous, other manufacturer's, new games that he's purchased.

Not unreasonable to expect at all. In fact, in my opinion, these things should absolutely be included with every Spooky game. I fully understand why they don't include them, but I don't agree...or like it.

It's not an uncommon want from Spooky pinball buyers. I hear the comment on at least one of these items on almost every new Spooky game I help set up or work on.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Maybe you could help him out? You clearly know how to use a computer.
And since you're not helping him, is he still playing all of his modern games with no code updates?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

2a0fa738f28e5d52157da4a6e9d88508--funny-star-trek-patrick-stewart (resized).jpg2a0fa738f28e5d52157da4a6e9d88508--funny-star-trek-patrick-stewart (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago

I'd be mad to if there was no manuel

#31 6 years ago

I think the whole point is customer service. Most people would be perfectly happy with a disk or a link to a page but if you spend that much money for a product and politely ask for a book it should be sent.
At work we replaced a million dollar system because they wouldn't answer a phone call for a simple question. Then the CEO stopped in and asked why we were taking it out and I told him. He tried to sell us a "service agreement " for the two questions a year that we might have. I said the 5 minutes you would have spent cost you a million dollars and more.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I think the whole point is customer service. Most people would be perfectly happy with a disk or a link to a page but if you spend that much money for a product and politely ask for a book it should be sent.
At work we replaced a million dollar system because they wouldn't answer a phone call for a simple question. Then the CEO stopped in and asked why we were taking it out and I told him. He tried to sell us a "service agreement " for the two questions a year that we might have. I said the 5 minutes you would have spent cost you a million dollars and more.

Hopefully not a TeleDirect International system....

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

At work we replaced a million dollar system...

1m not to happy

#34 6 years ago

Seems like it is okay to bash Stern for every little thing but not okay to say anything negative about Spooky. I think whitey has a legit complaint if Spooky does not help out a customer with these things if requested. I have no problems looking up materials online but I know my dad would have problems. Older gentlemen don't always have computers or internet and if they do, have little skills on how to use them. My dad uses the computer almost daily and I still don't think he knows you can google search just about anything. He even called me at work one day to ask if it was going to rain because I had a weather app thing on my phone.

However, I don't see how you as his son and computer competent enough to be posting in a forum cannot help me with it. I end up helping my dad with about everything computer related these days. It would be nice if everyone shipped out detailed printed manuals with games but you got to see the reason not to. Everyone is doing that these digitial days. Saves resources, energy, and most people who can afford pins probably have intenet.

#35 6 years ago

Now I'm pissed I have never received a manual for any of my NIB pins from Stern, or JJP and you are. Fu$k me. At least Spooky is treating everyone the same because I didn't get that stuff either. And I have spent way over 12k with those assholes.

#36 6 years ago

I'd be a little bit chapped, too. I find it tiresome when the computer industry tries to shove some of their computer mantra down my throat. Like when I bought my iMac in 1998. It came with no manual and I knew diddly about how to get around on the internet. I will allow that the iMac was a remove from box, plug it in, turn it on, and in minutes Apple had set up surfing the net. Still, it was a frustrating two or three weeks.

I get it. Companies are looking under every rock for one more way to cut costs. And the attitude is that "YOU" need to get with the times. Some companies have pulled it off with that kind of attitude. Other companies have tried that action and are no longer around.

I know if I had a customer who had spent several thousand with me and who offered to pay for physical copies of the manual, I'd be finding the time to head over to Kinko's and get a nicely printed copy to send out.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I walk away envious of a 83 year old who can see a damn score card.
I'm already blind as a friggin bat.
Lucky guy.

we're not talking batman returns here (callout)!

#38 6 years ago

How does someone even order from Spooky without using a computer? How do you even know about these pinballs and companies?

#39 6 years ago

Customer service is sooooo 1970's!

#40 6 years ago

This thread should really be renamed "12K not too happy with The Pinball Company and Domino's". Spooky is the contract design and manufacturer, but Spooky doesn't sell these games. Contact the person you bought it from. There, feed the troll, it should happily go back to sleep right?

#41 6 years ago

This world forced me to buy a computer, because apparently a chrome book that looked like a computer to me that my daughter does school work on is not a real computer. Do not try to update code with one of these. Even though it is a computer it is not a real computer. That's why I use good old fashioned legal pads.

#42 6 years ago

When I was working at a print shop they had machines that could spit out damn near finished manuals. Folded in schematic pages and everything. All you had to do was run a coil binding spine through it which took all of a few seconds. Could be done for under $10 a manual. Score cards.... pennies.

I like manuals and think they should be both included with games and free to download. It's not going to break the BOM.

#43 6 years ago

Manuals ,scorecard and key FOBS!!!!!

Its the right thing to do

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

It's not going to break the BOM.

But the trees barakandl...
What about the TREEEES?!?

IMG_6065 (resized).JPGIMG_6065 (resized).JPG

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Manuals ,scorecard and key FOBS!!!!!
Its the right thing to do

No Key Fobs! That's what he should be complaining about.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Renegade:

No Key Fobs! That's what he should be complaining about.

Its all about the key fobs!!!! Dude has 200 + games.Hows he gonna know which key for which game???!!???

#47 6 years ago

Exactly!

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

They don't provide manuals or score cards for any of their games and it's not a secret. They market mostly to collectors so no need for coin boxes but they have always been helpful when someone let's them know before hand that the game will be used on route.
Why would you not just print the stuff your dad needs? Problem solved. If you have 200 games and do restores you have extra coin boxes laying around. Second problem solved.

His dad is 83 and has bought many nib games in his life so I guess he is the most qualified to tell us pinball machine are more and more expensive and gets less and less stuff in the same time. Maybe he is fed up with that statement.

#49 6 years ago

Well whatever your dad thinks he should get or not he gets my vote for coolest dad with all those games. 200 is a very impressive number. You and your dad are very lucky people.

#50 6 years ago

first world problems!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
Tools
£ 60.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Other
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/12k-not-to-happy-spooky-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.