New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 97907)

128x16 LED DMD replacement. No response from PinLED?

By jdevowe

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I placed an order on June 10th with PinLED for a 128 x 16 LED dot matrix display replacement and received an order confirmation via email as well as having the funds go through PayPal OK. Since, I have not heard anything or received the display. I emailed PinLED using the contact form on their site, the address the order confirmation was sent from, and the support email address listed with PayPal about 4 times now, but haven't received any response. I even used Google translate to send both English and German in case it was a language problem (though the translation might have been less understandable than the English). I opened a dispute ticket with PayPal, hoping it would prod them in to action to respond, send me the product, or give me a refund. It has been over a week now with no response to the dispute.

Has anyone else had a problem with them recently? I see past posts where it seems people have had success ordering from them. Are they on a vacation or just out of stock, but not advertising it or letting me know?

I'd really like to get the display, since they appear to be the only place to get them right now and other vendors that carry their displays showing out of stock. Hoping someone here could shed some light on what may be going on.

#2 6 years ago

I'm curious to see what you find out.

#3 6 years ago

I'm curious too...
    Don't forget to escalate the dispute

#4 6 years ago

Very curious about this too. Fingers crossed for you.

#5 6 years ago

I thought on his Facebook page he said something about going on holiday? Let me check... Hmm, not for a few more weeks.

"Dr Pinball
    NEWS FLASH... I'll be taking a break from Dr Pinball during the whole of August. I won't be taking any orders, so please get in touch before August if you need a DMD Extender or any help. Cheers."

#6 6 years ago

I've got a PinLed 128 x 16 display with a few LED's out and need two 16 x 16 modules. Does anyone know if these are available anywhere other than PinLed?

#7 6 years ago

I have a recent rather unfortunate tale of dealing with PinLED.

The screen on my TMNT went out, so I sent it to a local tech to take care of that as well as some other issues, and what happened was this:

PinLED ordered. Took many weeks to get delivered. Turned out to be a problem with the German postoffice. Screen finally arrives and gets installed, problem was it wasn't working correctly. It would display correctly most of the time, but at times would cut out completely and at other times display garbled pictures. The tech did some troubleshooting, and after some back and forth with the company, PinLED said they were seeing the same issues on their end and it was a result of a manufacturing defect. They had planned on correcting the defect and producing more screens. They offered a refund if the screen was sent back. Screen gets sent back, and unfortunately the last I heard the tech has still not received a refund.

#8 6 years ago

Thought I would let everyone know what I heard back.

The PayPal dispute was responded to and I was informed that Jurgen, of PinLED, was unavailable as he was helping his mother through lymph cancer treatment and has only returned to working recently. He also mentioned the problems in production of the 20001 displays, which is probably the problem ectobar had mentioned, and that more displays should be ready to ship soon. He was very apologetic and asked if I would be willing to wait or want to continue with a refund. I am going to go ahead with getting the display and will update this thread when it arrives.

Hopefully this means that he will be catching up with any other people waiting for responses as well.

#9 6 years ago

Thank you for posting an update.

1 week later
    #10 6 years ago

I ordered one 22may only to find out they were out of stock and were making more, on that they have been very good with communication and mine got shipped this week can wait to get this thing as it has been a long wait with no display fingers crossed all is good with the display

#11 6 years ago

@ jdevowe & newy16216 I didn't realize non-Germans/Europeans could order directly from PinLED! I've been waiting for over two years for Bay Area Amusements to get the 20001 back in stock.
    How was the ordering process? I'm guessing you'd endorse buying from PinLED directly. Anyway, I really appreciate you two providing the information you have. I'd nearly given up hope of ever knowing my score again!

#12 6 years ago

After PinLED responded to me, I responded asking how long it might be for the display to ship and have yet to receive a response. The PayPal window for escalating the dispute was going to expire, so I escalated it to make sure that option wasn't closed to me. It was escalated on July 30th and I nor PayPal have received a response yet from what I can see after just checking. I was really hoping to avoid that.

@Berq The order process was easy, outside of some translation issues on the web site itself, and I received a confirmation right away. Everything else has not been as good for me as newy16216's experience though. I'd really like to get this resolved in a friendly and quick manner and I still hope everything will work out.

I will be updating this thread as the situation develops.

#13 6 years ago

just letting you guys know received my display today only 6days to reach Australia no bad I reckon. happy to receive it even though it took nearly 3 months, these displays are hard to find .I took a risk not disputing through PayPal lucky this time .So overall I would deal with pinled again maybe if they don't have something in stock they shouldn't take your money or state its out of stock anyway get them while you can I say

#14 6 years ago

It seems there have been a few people posting about issues with pinLED about these screens lately, and not getting them and no response from them.

They are a great replacement though, I installed one a few years ago in a Hook, and it looked great. I hope everything works out.

#15 6 years ago

I still have not received any kind of communication from PinLED. I have even checked my spam folder to make sure messages were not being missed. It appears PayPal has not received a response to the escalated claim as well. This Saturday is the last day before PayPal makes a decision on the claim.

#16 6 years ago

That PinLED guy in Germany is terrible to do business with. Bought a display for my Checkpoint with no problems but he should stick to displays though. I bought a fliptronics and driver board from them off ebay and they did not work. put stock boards back in and game worked fine.

Guy gave me the run around , would not respond to emails, have fun sending your board back to Germany. Shipping is pricey. I will not do business with him again.

1 week later
    #17 6 years ago

Desperate times call for desperate purchases from Germans. Here goes nothing. Or, more accurately, here goes $290...

2 weeks later
    #18 6 years ago

Oh my. Oh my. Heart is racing. I just got an email that my order shipped.

1 week later
    #19 6 years ago

Got it. Took just under a month. Nicely packaged, too. It'll be a few days before I can hook it up, though, as its host is currently in a moderate state of disassembly.

Did you ever get yours, jdevowe?

1 month later
    #20 6 years ago

Just ordered a F14 tomcat display a few days ago on PinLED, without checking recent reviews/posts. I'll let you know how it goes

#21 6 years ago

Bought a Mousin' Around with PinLED displays... they look really nice when comparing to original and Rottendog displays. They are actually my favorite looking. Good luck.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

Bought a Mousin' Around with PinLED displays... they look really nice when comparing to original and Rottendog displays. They are actually my favorite looking. Good luck.

When did you order/receive it?

#23 6 years ago

They were already in the machine when I bought it. Seller didn't even know they weren't original and neither did I until I went through the machine after purchase. Was a great surprise.

#24 6 years ago

Thats an awesome surprise indeed!

Anyway, just got confirmation that my display was shipped. Can't wait!

#25 6 years ago

Got mine yesterday, works perfectly.

1 week later
    #26 5 years ago

I ordered a DMD, and since then 3 weeks of silence. No DMD, no response to emails. Bummer.

#27 5 years ago

I ordered a SSFB from them on ebay and got it today, 13 days from the date of order. That's fast for free shipping from Germany to Texas!

#28 5 years ago

There's no US distributor? :/

#29 5 years ago

I ordered their flipper board and DMD board off of eBay. No response for a few weeks. Then a response that the boards were in production. Then nothing for 3 more weeks. So eBay refunded my money in the end. Horrible customer service and communication. It a shame as I do like some of their products. Oh well.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

There's no US distributor? :/

Sadly no, but they really need one. They should consider a mass shipment to some place like K's Arcade or Marco.

1 week later
    #31 5 years ago

wish i had read these posts earlier too
    ordered mine in july i think, or maybe june
    out of paypal dispute times too
    bloody data east making the small dmd!
    why has no one else tried making them?

update, after much waiting the unit turned up 6 months later, such an odd business model
    but i must say the units arent perfect , i had to fix a ground rail problem to the eprom
    it still takes 30 seconds to work correctly, sometimes glitches
    but it works

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwgent:

wish i had read these posts earlier too
    ordered mine in july i think, or maybe june
    out of paypal dispute times too
    bloody data east making the small dmd!
    why has no one else tried making them?

Maybe not enough demand? But I was hoping some dmd manufacture would make a replacement, or lcd.

3 weeks later
    #35 5 years ago

Yesterday I ordered a pinled 128x16 display. A few ours after I placed my order I received an e-mail that my goods are shipped... Did that happen to anyone? Or am I lucky?

In meanwhile has everybody received its display?

1 week later
    #36 5 years ago

I've received my pinled display. Exactly one week later...
    FYI the website was still saying that the display was no longer in stock.

1 month later
    #37 5 years ago

My Checkpoint DMD started blanking out last week so I ordered a PinLED 6 days ago and have had no communication from them apart from the order confirmation. I've contacted them to check on the status but no reply. From the comments here it seems the guys technical skills are inversely proportional to his business skills... Fingers crossed...

#38 5 years ago

I ordered one two weeks ago
    And 14 days later it was delivered

Works great. !!

#39 5 years ago

Finally got a response that he hasn't been working the last few days. A few orders are backed up because of this...

4 months later
    #40 5 years ago

My order was place about 3 weeks and I received my display a couple days ago. Very little communication but display looks great!!

#41 5 years ago

post a pic of it running!

1 month later
    #42 5 years ago

Placed an order for two of the 128x16 displays on July 12 and got them today.
    (Star Trek 25 & Checkpoint)

Other than the Paypal confirmation of the money transaction, I did not receive any other communication.
    But... packaged fine & arrived within 11 days from Germany to Wisconsin... can't complain.
    Looks great in Star Trek. (need to update the display ROM that was in the old, dead plasma)

Ended up being about $231.50 per display, with shipping included. $463 total after Euro conversion. (again, for 2 displays)

#43 5 years ago

$231 a display? not too bad for a new one. Almost want to have one on hand just incase the need arises....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 244.99
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 209.99
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 55.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 33.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    £ 20.00
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside