7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by FirstPinGLin2011
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I have a 120 to 12 volt converter from a previous job that I would like to reduce further to 6.3 to check some faulty light sockets.
    Is it possible and if so how do you do it. In real lame terms please.
    Thanks

#3 7 years ago

Depending on what you're trying to test, you might be better off using a cheap continuity tester rather than trying to improvise a voltage source.

That linear voltage regulator could work if the current you're driving is small (less than 160mA). However, it could still get very hot since you need to drop 5.7V across it and would be burning about 1W.

If you're not that familiar with electronics and really need a voltage supply, you can get an AC/DC switching transformer from Radio Shack that puts our the correct voltage.

EDIT: A single #44 bulb pulls 250mA. The LDO would be burning 1.4W, get very hot, and probably not last all that long without a heat sink. I'd recommend just putting a bulb in the socket and running a continuity test, or using a AC/DC supply rated to drive the current you need to supply.

#4 7 years ago

A better method would be to check for old wall plug-in transformers around your house that you no longer use, like from old cell phones. They might be 5-7 volts.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies.
    I have checked continuity and it says fine but when you play a game they will go in and out.

So when you grab hold of a light socket and spin it a little the light will come back on.

Has me thinking that some corrosion is between the mounting leg and the socket.

So I wanted to pull them and clean somehow then test before putting back in the machine.
    As in test with a light in them needing a good proper voltage.
    One thing I thought is to solder a wire from the mounting leg to the socket.
    I already moved the wire from the terminal on the socket to the center pin and this did not fix it.

I will check at radio shack to see what they offer and look for a charger here at home.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 29.95
    $ 11.95
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 299.00
    $ 20.00
    $ 218.00
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 32.00
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 149.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside