You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tron_display_difference_(1024x683)_(80.jpg
IMG_0468_(800x533).jpg
IMG_0560_(800x533).jpg
quorra.jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

12 reasons why Stern’s TRON: Legacy PRO pinball is the best Stern pinball in recent years.

12. It has a nice translite. (unlike World Poker Tour)
11. It has two ramps, not just one. (unlike Avatar)
10. It is not based on a TV Show which will soon be off the air. (Sopranos, CSI and 24)
9. You can buy the PRO version and not feel like you are missing out. (AC DC)
8. Its code is mostly complete. (unlike X-Men)
7. The modes and multi-balls are actually fun. (unlike Transformers)
6. It has a cool toy (the spinning disk) that actually enhances gameplay, not worsens it. (unlike the Rolling Stones and Mick on a stick).
5. Ball times are not too long, like Spider-man.
4. Or too short, like Ironman.
3. And the sub-wizard mode is attainable for intermediate players. (unlike Simpsons Pinball Party)
2. It has 3 flippers. Lord of the Rings only has 2. Everyone knows 3 is better than 2.

But the #1 reason is…
It is not Big Buck Hunter. This pinball has theme and styling in spades!

Sorry, I have been bitten by the TRON pinball bug. When I am not playing TRON, I am compelled to post in forums about how great it is. This post is tongue-in-cheek. I have some love left for other Stern creations. My other pinballs, however, are collecting dust and will be up for sale soon so I can buy more TRON mods.

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from steely_menace:

3. And the sub-wizard mode is attainable for intermediate players. (unlike Simpsons Pinball Party)

Even casual players can get to some of the mini-wizard modes on TSPP without too much trouble.

But hey, other than that, I agree that Tron is a fantastic pinball machine and worthy of the praise it gets.

#3 11 years ago

How about:

#13: Amazing sound.
#14: Amazing light show.

Can't argue at all with your list, Tron definitely has it all!

#4 11 years ago

Sure, but it's no Roller Coaster Tycoon

#5 11 years ago

The only two things which I find lacking in Tron are:

1) Find Flynn mode is useless. You can completely ignore it and just play the game and you'll complete it 100% of the time if you have the mode running.
2) No video mode. Come on, it's a pinball machine about being in the grid with programs and there's an actual arcade toy in there yet you're telling me there isn't a video game to play?

Hopefully both those things will be addressed in the rumoured update. Still, the game is amazing!

#6 11 years ago

For me, I'd rank the Sterns like this:

1. Lord of the Rings
2. The Simpsons Pinball Party
3. Spider-Man
4. Tron
5. Family Guy/Shrek
6. X-Men
7. Avengers
8. Transformers

I could keep going, but the difference between them becomes more and more minimal. I have NOT played AC/DC, so it's exempt, but it could fit in there anywhere, I guess.

#7 11 years ago

Fun game. 2nd best Stern released In last couple years.

#8 11 years ago

and no trolls with coloured hair to be seen.

#9 11 years ago

9. You can buy the PRO version and not feel like you are missing out

I feel like i'm missin out on the 'tron' drop targets for sure. I hate the cheapo standups the pro has.

but you are correct, fun game. I actually prefer SM ball time to tron, you can have your A game on tron, and still not play a 13 minute game. plus I love me some doc oc modes

#10 11 years ago

You forgot - Quorra multiball.

quorra.jpgquorra.jpg

#11 11 years ago

and 1 BIG reason why Stern’s TRON: Legacy PRO pinball is not the best: The GEM shot.

#12 11 years ago

Quorra multiball is so awesome to start and play. Very good stuff there.

#13 11 years ago

agreed, that gem shot is a little too much. I actually prefer disc mb over quorra though, just because every shot is a jackpot, and that super jackpot in disc mb is the highest you can post out of the 3 mb.

#14 11 years ago

BBH is god.

#15 11 years ago

Relevant to all of our interests. This guy rocks.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Mateui:

The only two things which I find lacking in Tron are:
1) Find Flynn mode is useless. You can completely ignore it and just play the game and you'll complete it 100% of the time if you have the mode running.

Yes Find Flynn is easy to complete, but I still think it is a worthwhile mode: hit the red flashing arrow. A simple shot that rewards a bonus. I am glad it is the first rung on progress ladder.

Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

I feel like i'm missin out on the 'tron' drop targets for sure. I hate the cheapo standups the pro has.

Drop targets would be cool because you can easily tell what targets are left to complete the feature, but the advantage of stand-ups is that you can more easily bank shots into the GEM loop off of them.

Quoted from Pimp77:

and 1 BIG reason why Stern’s TRON: Legacy PRO pinball is not the best: The GEM shot.

GEM shot. A lot of people hate it because it is a very difficult shot, but take it out (or make it easier) and you eliminate the only really hard shot in the game. Could you imagine how many points you could rack up in the "Follow GEM" mode?

Quoted from jar155:

Quorra multiball is so awesome to start and play. Very good stuff there.

I love Quorra multi-ball, mostly for its easy add-a-ball feature. Compare it to Soprano’s add-a-ball (the FISH hole in the far lower left) or to POTC’s Tortuga multi-ball and you realize the add-a-ball in TRON is just much better implemented. Also, stacking Light Cycle with Quorra MB is CRAZY fun!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Relevant to all of our interests. This guy rocks.

Yes that is my cell phone ring.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

For me, I'd rank the Sterns like this:
1. Lord of the Rings
2. The Simpsons Pinball Party
3. Spider-Man
4. Tron
5. Family Guy/Shrek
6. X-Men
7. Avengers
8. Transformers
I could keep going, but the difference between them becomes more and more minimal. I have NOT played AC/DC, so it's exempt, but it could fit in there anywhere, I guess.

Here is mine:

1. Tron
2. AC/DC
3. Avengers
4. LOTR
5. SM
6. IM
7. Transformers
8. X-Men
9. Family Guy
10.TSPP

#19 11 years ago

mine;

1 acdc
2 sm
3 lotr
4 im
5 tron
6 family guy
7 transformers
8 rs
9 avatar
10 bbh

#20 11 years ago

>>4. Or too short, like Ironman.

I disagree. The last time I checked the ball times on my games, Tron had a slightly shorter time than Ironman......maybe because I was playing IM a ton and started to have some decent games on it

#21 11 years ago

Funny..
I played a Tron PRO for the first time last weekend (we own an LE). I was blown away by how little there is to do in the game.
The ramps don't even count for DAFT PUNK. weird. What's the point?
If I had ever played a PRO instead of an LE, we would have never bought the game, just my opinion after owning the game for over a year.

Posts like this from the op make me wonder how far Tron mania has really gone.. seems more hype than anything at this point.

#22 11 years ago

9. You can buy the PRO version and not feel like you are missing out. (AC DC)

^^^ see above. You're definitely missing out imo.

#23 11 years ago

My top Sterns:

1.TSPP
2. LOTR
3. Tron
4. AC/DC
5. BDK
6. SM
7. IM
8. RBION
9. TF
10. FGY

#24 11 years ago

1. TSPP (depends on the day, sometimes it's #2 trading places with LOTR)
2. LOTR
3. Avengers... I "think" but need more time & tweaks on this title
4. FGY
5. RBION
6. ACDC
7. SM

To me Tron is cool but I'd rather own BBH or Avatar unless it were a TronLE which I enjoy via theme & light show alone.

#25 11 years ago

Funny..
I played a Tron PRO for the first time last weekend (we own an LE). I was blown away by how little there is to do in the game.
If I had ever played a PRO instead of an LE, we would have never bought the game, just my opinion after owning the game for over a year.
Posts like this from the op make me wonder how far Tron mania has really gone.. seems more hype than anything at this point.

I made the mistake and sold Tron LE thinking the Pro was nearly the same. I so regretted the decision to sell especially as NAVL missed the first pickup window and I had to still see it and compare it sitting beside the Pro. I could not tell if it was not having the drop targets or moving recognizer or different lit ramps, even the shaker felt different.
I made a trade to get one back within 2 weeks of selling. I wil not make that mistake again.
I do like the Pro sticker decal cabinet better as resolution finer and red LED dmd vs older orange but even the apron and pegs bothers me on the newer Tron pro and 2d backglass. Still either is a good pin and way better than many others even several Bally/Williams

IMG_0560_(800x533).jpgIMG_0560_(800x533).jpg IMG_0468_(800x533).jpgIMG_0468_(800x533).jpg Tron_display_difference_(1024x683)_(80.jpgTron_display_difference_(1024x683)_(80.jpg

#26 11 years ago

No need for a split screen on games. And yes add video modes to all games. They are fun and different and break things up. Still want to play Tron someday to see what it is all about.

#27 11 years ago

So I have a question for people that groove on Tron. I have only played it at the local Denver barcade but what do you shoot for on the lower left flipper?

I find that I have trapped the ball there many times and don't have an appealing shot from that point. I usually have to flipper pass and go from there.

I am not trying to dig here, but what do you guys shoot for at that point if the scoop is not lit?

Please enlighten a guy who can't remove the glass to get a feel..

Take care,

#28 11 years ago

If there ever was a video mode for Tron, it would have to do with Light Cycles!!!

#29 11 years ago

I like the game too but I don't know if its the best stern ever. I definately enjoy lotr and sm way more.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

So I have a question for people that groove on Tron. I have only played it at the local Denver barcade but what do you shoot for on the lower left flipper?
I find that I have trapped the ball there many times and don't have an appealing shot from that point. I usually have to flipper pass and go from there.

Yes, you do have a better shot selection from the right flipper. If the scoop is not lit, the main shot is the lane between the bumpers. This feeds the upper flipper and also re-lights the scoop. The spinner is worth points and the spinner also extends the Follow GEM mode. If your 3-bank recognizer targets are down, a shot into the spinning disk is easier from the left flipper.

#31 11 years ago

1(a). ACDC Prem > Tron LE/Pro

#32 11 years ago
#34 11 years ago

Tron is cool, but I couldn't talk myself into pulling the trigger on a rerelease (mainly because I am cheap).

I looked at adding things like less crappy side rails, slide rails, Arcade Cabinet mod, + LED's, plus ramp mod, shaker motor, and with shipping and taxes I was looking at basically a $7K game.

Not saying it is not worth that much, but I was just not willing to take the plunge just yet. Someday, maybe I can get a used one when the cult of tron has moved onto some new hotness...

Or I will just pay through the nose for one in 15 years

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I looked at adding things like less crappy side rails, slide rails, Arcade Cabinet mod, + LED's, plus ramp mod, shaker motor, and with shipping and taxes I was looking at basically a $7K game.

Well if this were the showcase showdown on the Price is Right I'd say your $7,000 bid would be bang on and you just might go home a winner. Bought a Tron Pro 2D a few months back and here is my overall tally (bought the game in the US and had to pay taxes at the border to get it into Canada):

decal 8
light cycles 60
mini cabinet 235
FF speakers 150
white rubber 20
lit recognizer 60
flynn sign 75
cliffy ramps 105
3D translite trim glass 230
support brackets 55
leds 150
EL wire kit 110
splitter 50
pinbits 30
balsa box 30
great plains 25
LE style apron 300

total of all mods 1693

machine with taxes 5223

total Tron cost 6916

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Fun game. 2nd best Stern released In last couple years.

I love my Tron LE, but even I agree with this statement!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Funny, I'd say that one of the main reasons that I sold my Tron LE the first time around was because of the stupid GEM shot.

Second time around, the GEM shot doesn't even give me that much grief anymore. Spent a good amount of time doing NOTHING but trying to master that shot. Oh, I still don't have it mastered, but I can definitely hit it enough now that it is rare that GEM is the only mode that I don't have completed to get to Portal like it used to be. It is far more likely that I won't have Lightcycle or Disc lit than it is GEM.

Still get the SDTM drains from GEM on occasion and that blows, but I've lessened that too (with a good nudge)

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Funny, I'd say that one of the main reasons that I sold my TRON LE the first time around was because of the stupid GEM shot.
Second time around, the GEM shot doesn't even give me that much grief anymore. Spent a good amount of time doing NOTHING but trying to master that shot.

The Gem shot isn't as tough once the 3-target bank goes down. You get a lot more clearance with it out of the way.

#40 11 years ago

(joke inside) was just thinking of seeling my LE... but after reading this topic, i can't !!!

let's be honest (& serious), not saying that pin is n°1, but it's part of the best so far

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

I do like the Pro sticker decal cabinet better as resolution finer and red LED dmd vs older orange but even the apron and pegs bothers me on the newer Tron pro and 2d backglass. Still either is a good pin and way better than many others even several Bally/Williams

Cool shot LE and pro together. Add Eli’s fiber optic ramp lights and chrome rails and you could not tell them apart. The play almost exactly the same. Man I wish Stern would make all Le, pro’s with just bling changes look how well Tron pro has sold because of this.

#42 11 years ago

You nailed it OP. Tron is a home run in everyway. Its too bad the follow up games havent even been close to the quality of Tron. Tron even shipped with working SW on day 1!!!

#43 11 years ago

I can give you 12 reasons why it's not even in the TOP 5 of the newer sterns that are out. LOTR is still champion on that one. TF, AC/DC, TSPP, are up there as well. Even BDK I like better than Tron. It's a top 10 for sure, best...not at all. LE or Pro, doesn't matter.

#44 11 years ago

Agree with neo. Good game but definately not sterns best.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Agree with neo. Good game but definately not sterns best.

I wasn't going to comment on this, but it's so rare that I agree with Neo or Trevor, I just had too!!

1 month later
#46 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Funny..

I disagree, I think of the recent pro vs Le models tron le/pro play the most similar. With the latest software upgrade tron pro plays even better. Also when the lighted ramp mod by Eli is released this will be mitigated even more. Now do not get me wrong, like everyone else I would absolutely rather have the LE, I just do not think it makes as much a difference as say ACDC for example. And now that the LE is about what 3-5 k more then a pro (if you can even find one), I do not think the LE is a 4k better machine. Much rather have the tron pro and another 3-4 k machine beside it.

As for the reaction to tron being hype, only time will tell. But I just do not see the popularity of tron dropping as it ages, especially once they stop releasing NIB trons. Its hard for me to explain to people why I like tron so much....it's just a feeling I get while playing the pin....for me this pin is much greater then the sum of its parts. I think some might agree....

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I can give you 12 reasons why it's not even in the TOP 5 of the newer sterns that are out. LOTR is still champion on that one. TF, AC/DC, TSPP, are up there as well. Even BDK I like better than Tron. It's a top 10 for sure, best...not at all. LE or Pro, doesn't matter.

I would not trade my tron for anyone of those machines listed.....

#48 11 years ago

put the star posts under the sling plastics looks great, but tightens up the left drain, a real challenger.

#49 11 years ago

For me it's fun and I can totally see why people dig it, but the art is horrid, the movie it was based on is a terrible film and the music sucks. Give me a LOTR any day of the week over this.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

For me it's fun and I can totally see why people dig it, but the art is horrid, the movie it was based on is a terrible film and the music sucks. Give me a LOTR any day of the week over this.

See for me the music is one of the reasons I love it....to each is own though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/12-reasons-why-stern%E2%80%99s-tron-legacy-pro-pinball-is-the-best/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.