Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinballManiac40
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I have a nice Willliams Jokerz and the bumper lights and the left side GI lights are out on the playfield. All under playfield feature lights work too. I do have a manual but I'm used to old school SS Ballys. Any thoughts what to check? All connections were tight. Maybe a ground issue?? Thanks for any help.........

#2 4 years ago

Check Fuses. Then inspect GI connector. Also I Can't remember but it may have an under playfield GI Relay. Those are prone to cold solder joints, if so just reflow some solder on the relay pots.

Good luck.

#3 4 years ago

I just had a similar issue with my Mousin Around machine except all the GI was out. The culprit was a Rottendog interconnect board... or actually my installation of it. One of the pins that supplies the GI was properly connected, when I fixed this, only half of the GI worked.

The issue similar to yours was fixed when I stumbled across this page:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Games_From_Taxi_to_Bugs_Bunny.27s_Birthday_Ball

If you look at the following image from that page:
image.jpg
"The GI circuits coming directly from the transformer enter the board on the right side at connector J6. The top 4 wires are yellow and the lower 4 wires are yellow with a white trace. In actuality, the GI wires are only 4 wires, instead of 8 wires. Once the upper 2 wires reach the board, each of them are daisy-chained through the insulation displacement connector (IDC)."

On my replacement board, it didn't have the daisy-chained wires that were soldered under the board. Once I replaced these wires, everything worked.

-Mike

#4 4 years ago

I will check those out. Thanks........

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Also I Can't remember but it may have an under playfield GI Relay.

Yes, I just worked on one last Saturday for this issue. Burnt connector on the relay board. With the playfield up, the relay GI board is at the bottom right corner.

#6 4 years ago

You do have to remember with System 11 games, you need to remove the fuses off the interconnect board to make sure they are good.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You do have to remember with System 11 games, you need to remove the fuses off the interconnect board to make sure they are good.

Yes. Make sure you take the fuses out before you check them or you won't get a correct reading. Fuses can look fine and still be bad. Same thing happened to my ES and it was a fuse.

#8 4 years ago

Just checked the relay GI board and there was a burnt connector. Pin came off in the female connection. The board is a little toasted to where there is little to no metal pad on the board the pin solders to. Do you think I need a new connector and header pin?? What caused the meltdown I wonder????????Whole new relay board??????? Could probably rig it but would rather not. Thanks again guys for any insight.

#9 4 years ago

If it's the little relay board, it's cheap to replace. Great Lakes Modular makes then for $25.

Marc

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Just checked the relay GI board and there was a burnt connector. Pin came off in the female connection. The board is a little toasted to where there is little to no metal pad on the board the pin solders to. Do you think I need a new connector and header pin?? What caused the meltdown I wonder????????Whole new relay board??????? Could probably rig it but would rather not. Thanks again guys for any insight.

I'm not sure where you are located but if you were close I'd fix it for you free. You could mail it to me and I can fix it, but you may be better off just buying a new one.

#11 4 years ago

Oh definitely you would want to replace the male connector on the board if you want to reuse it. You will have to add a wire to replace the burnt trace. The crappy IDC connectors were the cause of the problem. Generally this comes from vibration and loss of tension in the female pin. As the tension wears down, you start building up resistance and start getting arcing on the pins. Common thing. You may even want to check the far right connector on the interconnect board and make sure there are no burnt pins there either. Usually these are all yellow wires and come from the transformer for all the GI throughout the backbox and playfield.

Suggest using new Molext trifuricon female pins as replacements.

#12 4 years ago

Thanks for all the info guys. I can fix it myself. Any ideas what size pins these are. I've got .100 and .156 for my Bally machines already. Again thanks for steering me in the right direction....................

#13 4 years ago

.156 Happy to have helped.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside