(Topic ID: 204949)

12" 150W MonoPrice Sub $79 + Free Shipping!

By vid1900

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5788 (resized).jpeg
    Pinsider Monoprice Hookup Detailed (resized).jpg
    Two RCA Setup.pdf (PDF preview)
    Single RCA Try #2.pdf (PDF preview)
    Single RCA Try #1.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_5790 (resized).jpeg
    previexxw (resized).jpg
    97233 (resized).jpg
    97231 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

Is the bass on the 10” not enough?

1 year later
    #42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Scored the Sub yesterday. $84 with tax, guess we are starting to pay tax nation wide now. Come January the party is over, Tax for all no matter what website we use. Going to be hard, never ever paid tax on Marco's.
    Thanks for the tip on sub.

Fine, I'll buy one. I've been looking for another one and your comment about the tax put me over the edge. I forgot that was changing soon.

1 week later
    #46 5 years ago

I got mine today and it turns on, but it doesn’t do much if anything. I can hear a slight sound of bass when it is turned all the way up, but the cabinet speakers are way louder.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I had to use the below fix, although it was a slight pain that it didn't work as intended out of the box it now sounds great.

I’ll try this today and report back

#51 5 years ago

Alright. I soldered the rca cable to the speaker wire. Using alligator clips, I clipped the silver speaker cable to the yellow black wire and the red speaker cable to the yellow wire at the cabinet speaker. I then soldered the suppled RCA cable to the speaker wires. The RCA cable attached to the silver speaker wire went in the red sub rca in and the red speaker wire with the red rca went into the white sub rca in.

The first time I plug the rca into the sub it did not work. After testing I found when the out side clips of the rca touched the sub inputs the sound kicked out. I then removed the outside clips/tabs from the rca cables and it worked fine. I’m not sure what this all means, but it has plenty of bass now.

#54 5 years ago

So you solder both speaker wires to one rca cable? Either the red or white rca cable? I guess that makes sense.

1 week later
    #58 5 years ago

I hate to keep asking this question, but I can't seem to get my sub connected like the rest of you have. I'm sure its a complete failure of understanding on my part, so I am attaching sketches of what works for me and what has not worked. One of my biggest questions is, will my current working setup harm anything on the pinball machine if I leave it that way?

Not Working
    Single RCA Try #1.pdfSingle RCA Try #1.pdf

Not Working
    Single RCA Try #2.pdfSingle RCA Try #2.pdf

Working
    Two RCA Setup.pdfTwo RCA Setup.pdf

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I just wire regular old speaker wire from the tabs on the cabinet speaker (using alligator clips) to the speaker inputs on the back of the powered subwoofer. Have done it for Sterns, Segas, DE, JJP, basically every game I have ever had. Works perfect EVERY TIME, is simple and easy to reverse. I just make sure + goes to + and - goes to -. People go in with RCA cables, wire directly to soundboards, utilize pinnovators etc etc. Unnecessary. I tap two machines to each powered subwoofer, one machine for each input.

This is typically the way I wire them and have two of my games wired this way to a PSW10 sub. The problem is the Monoprice sub does not work by simply inserting the speaker wires in the + - input.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:You only need one RCA cable (one RCA connector) per speaker as each has two wires. Connect the wrapper wire to - and the inner jacketed wire to +.

This is what I thought and tried with Single RCA Try #2, but it didn't work.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Monk,
    A little hard to understand your drawing, but we'll work thru it. A few questions:
    1) The outside of the RCA connector is ground. The center is the signal. Which speaker wire did you attach to the RCA ground in your 3 drawings?
    2) What game is this for? (Sorry if you mentioned, didn't search thru the thread). I'd like to look at the schematics.
    3) Got a DMM (multi-meter)?

1) The RCA cable has 2 wires inside the black coating. Once the black coating is peeled off it exposes copper wire and another red coated copper wire. I have attached both speaker wires to both rca wires in the one rca connector by soldering them together (Single RCA Try #1). I have attached one speaker wire to the each of the 2 wires in the one rca plug individually (Single RCA Try #2). Which one of the wires in the RCA plug is the ground?

2) I have tested it on Met, GoT, and TWD. All of these games work as they should with the Polk Sub in high-level inputs.

3)Yes

4)I do have a receiver and have not tried the Monoprice sub.

#68 5 years ago

I am wondering the details of the connection point in the circled area. All of what you guys are saying makes sense and I think I have done what other have done, but to little success. Like I said in the previous posts, it does work now with the 2 RCA cables, but I know it's wrong. I don't like to give up, but I might have to buy the pinnovator kit or another PSW10.

Pinsider Monoprice Hookup Detailed (resized).jpgPinsider Monoprice Hookup Detailed (resized).jpg
    #69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Based on last couple weeks of posts...
    Im considering returning mine unopened. I am lucky and can drive by factory and save shipping.

It seems as though it is just me that can't figure this out.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Have you tried the way I described and just putting the wires from your circled area into the hi-level in?
    Also, I noticed the manual suggests for mono signal to use both inputs so I did that: split each wire to go to both sets of hi-level tabs, or run small jumpers black-black and red-red on the inputs.

I have tried to put the speaker wires directly into one set of hi-level inputs. I have not tried to split them to use both sets of inputs.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Monk,
    So the yellow/black on the speaker. That's the ground. That will go to to the copper 'shield' of the wire (ends up going to the outer part of the RCA connector). This is the 'exposed' wire you mentioned when you stripped off the outer jacket.
    The yellow wire on the speaker. That's the hot side. That goes to the red center wire you described above (ends up going to the center pin of the RCA connector).
    I've quickly skimmed thru the thread to try to catch up, but it sort of bounces around. Maybe you already did what I mentioned above. But those are the correct connections. Next step we will unhook you wire use to connect the sub and verify you have it wired correctly. I think you are using alligator clips on the cab speaker end?
    Keep in mind, the line-in inputs are low level. There's a chance you could damage the sub if the cabinet sub setting is too high. Turn the Sub volume control almost all the way down. On a scale of 0 to 10, set it to 1 or 2. And turn down the cabinet volume too. I added resistors to my setup to keep the line level low and and to create a high impedance. More on that later, if needed.
    Hang in there!

Thank you for the response. I did try the connection you described, but I may not have done it well enough as I was trying a few different setups. Also the wires inside the RCA jacket seem very small/not a lot of them. I will try it once again, maybe this weekend.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Monk,
    No kidding on the wires. I saw the same thing when I modified mine. It was like working with thread. LOL.
    No reason you can't use some speaker wire. The shielding helps prevent noise from getting picked on the center lead. But the levels you are working with are plenty high enough to not be an issue. Plus I think you likely would have a short distance to run anyways, so not important. Speaker wire will work fine, and be easier to work with.
    Any chance you can round up some small speaker wire? Not the 12 or 14ga fat stuff, but something more reasonable to deal with, like 18-20 ga? Solder some clips on one end, you can get some RCA connectors (no wire), and just solder the wires on. Then use that to hook it up, after we use the multi-meter to make sure it is OK. Like this:
    I'll see if I can find one on Amazon or eBay if you don't want to make.
    [quoted image]

That might just be the ticket. I'll see what I can find at the local stores. I am using 18 gauge speaker wire now for the reason it is a lot easier to work with and it doesn't look as bad under the machine.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

When you cut the RCA wire were are two conductors - a central one and outer one. You have to be careful not to short them and connect the outer one to the ground (-) and the inner to (+). If you are having problems it might be better to buy a ready made connector or just return the sub and get another one that works with the wire inputs.
    [quoted image]

I will try this again. This is what I wanted to make sure was correct. Thank you for the picture.

#87 5 years ago

So I wired the speaker cables up to the RCA and it works good. I don’t think it’s as loud as the wrong way I had it wired, but plenty loud enough. Thank you to all that helped. It’s much appreciated.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Monk - I'm reposting boust's comment as a reminder. I still think it would be prudent to purchase the Amazon product. A safer and more appropriate way to hook it up.

I will look into it, but I do not plan on putting any more pins on this sub. In fact when the psw10 comes back up for sale at a discount I will probably buy it and replace this one. Maybe put this one in my garage or camp.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/12-150w-monoprice-sub-79-free-shipping?tu=monk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.