Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211220_173202 (resized).jpg
Sub1 (resized).jpg
Sub3 (resized).jpg
Sub2 (resized).jpg
sub4 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I picked up a black Friday special 10” Sony Subwoofer from my local bestbuy on sale for $114.99 and have been pleased by the results. Hooking it up to pin required no tools and just a little electrical tape. I know people swear by the polk version, but I have not seen it at that price in years. They may be available local at your Best Buy https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-10-115w-active-subwoofer-black/5721005.p?skuId=5721005 or you can get on Amazon here https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SACS9-10-Inch-Active-Subwoofer/dp/B00O8YLIY6/ref=sr_1_1 As of this writting (December 20, 2021) they are $113 - $115 online.
In any case I just installed this last night and the results are pretty darn good. I am not an audiophile but I immediately had to turn it down after setting it up and still got complaints from the family across the house (great success!).

These are plug and play with a power switch and volume knob on the back. They have the old fashioned inputs for “Speaker in” which allow you to plug in two wires to get your signal.

In order to hook this up with almost no tools, all I used was speaker wire, electrical tape, and some of the alligator connector pins from some extra COMET LED lighting parts I had.

I simply cut speaker wire to length and ran it through the grill in the back of my pinball machine. I had to loosen one screw and remove one staple to get it to fit through. After running the speaker wire through the back of the machine, I cut the ends and spliced the alligator clips from the comet parts into the end of the speaker wire. From here I simply attached those clips to the speaker terminals in the bottom of the machine. Once this was done I simply plugged the other end into the speaker inputs for the left channel in the subwoofer. Since there are two channels for input, I was able to hook up a second pin to the right channel. Two speakers hooked up to a powered subwoofer that you have to turn down.

10/10 would recommend and I will likely get some more subs down the line to hook up the other machines and you can keep the price down by hooking up 2 to each subwoofer (or check facebook marketplace for local cheap subs). Attack From Mars and LOTR sound AMAZING with this. This foe is beyond any of you... run! Additionally, this is a mod that you can keep and easily swap between pins when you rotate your collection.
Sub1 (resized).jpgSub1 (resized).jpgSub2 (resized).jpgSub2 (resized).jpgSub3 (resized).jpgSub3 (resized).jpgsub4 (resized).jpgsub4 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Great writeup! Thanks for sharing. In case anyone is interested, I sell 10 foot cables that I make specifically for this purpose ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1176-gweem-s-mods/02289-10-ft-external-subwoofer-cable

#3 2 years ago

Here is what they look like hooked up. Scored a couple of open box for under $100 from local Best Buy to hook up all my pins.

6 pins on powered woofers for less than the price of a color DMD.

20211220_173202 (resized).jpg20211220_173202 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

I installed a second subwoofer last night, this time hooking up my Rick and Morty and Godzilla. I played Godzilla and adjusted turned the sub way down to just under movie theater sound commercial level. Sounded awesome! Then I played Rick and Morty and the sub was louder than a Metallica concert in the front row. Immediately had to turn the sub almost all the way down. In other words, the volume coming from the two machines through the same sub is vastly different. I think I have an old potentiometer I might add to the line from the Rick and Morty or turn down the bass through the machine. Anyone have any easy solutions for this one?

The initial install of the Attack From Mars and Lord of the Rings yielded roughly equal volume levels...

Last sub gets hooked up to Star Trek TNG and Torpedo Alley.

Thanks!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I installed a second subwoofer last night, this time hooking up my Rick and Morty and Godzilla. I played Godzilla and adjusted turned the sub way down to just under movie theater sound commercial level. Sounded awesome! Then I played Rick and Morty and the sub was louder than a Metallica concert in the front row. Immediately had to turn the sub almost all the way down. In other words, the volume coming from the two machines through the same sub is vastly different. I think I have an old potentiometer I might add to the line from the Rick and Morty or turn down the bass through the machine. Anyone have any easy solutions for this one?
The initial install of the Attack From Mars and Lord of the Rings yielded roughly equal volume levels...
Last sub gets hooked up to Star Trek TNG and Torpedo Alley.
Thanks!

Rick and Morty has an amp installed before the sub in the cab.....

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Yep. On my ACNC I completely bypassed the internal amp when I hooked up the external sub. Sounded awesome! This is also why I generally recommend that if you are hooking two games up to one sub that they be games from the same brand/era? This increases the chances that they will have similar output levels and you won't have to keep adjusting the sub's volume.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Quoted from gweempose:

Yep. On my ACNC I completely bypassed the internal amp when I hooked up the external sub. Sounded awesome! This is also why I generally recommend that if you are hooking two games up to one sub that they be games from the same brand/era? This increases the chances that they will have similar output levels and you won't have to keep adjusting the sub's volume.

I'll have to see if I can get the aligator clips into the machine before the amplifier. I also ordered a cheap headphone extender with volume control knob. I figure I could splice the wires and have a cheap adjustable potentiometer to tune the volume exactly where I want it.

Thanks!

1 week later
#8 2 years ago

Great price! I have that sub hooked up to my Star Wars Premium. I opted for the Pinnovaters direct tap module. I had it hooked to the terminals originally but was getting feedback... Could be machine or home location specific on grounding loops.

Very impressed with this sub... Nice and tight and not boomy

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Great price! I have that sub hooked up to my Star Wars Premium. I opted for the Pinnovaters direct tap module. I had it hooked to the terminals originally but was getting feedback... Could be machine or home location specific on grounding loops.
Very impressed with this sub... Nice and tight and not boomy

I have a sub on my SW premium as well. It sounds amazing on that game!

4 months later
#10 1 year ago

For what its worth, the ever popular Polk 10watt subwoofer just went on sale on amazon for 129.99. They've been cheaper, but not since pre covid.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KVQBA

#11 1 year ago

For what its worth, the ever popular Polk 10watt subwoofer just went on sale on amazon for 129.99. They've been cheaper, but not since pre covid.
amazon.com link »

Missing a zero 100 watt - Polk PSW 10 Best price that I think we'll see for a long while.

#12 1 year ago

amazon.com link »

Quoted from DeathHimself:

Missing a zero 100 watt - Polk PSW 10 Best price that I think we'll see for a long while.

I have 4 of these and couldnt be happier,you can can wire directly to your cabinet sub,hook into pinnovators or go all in and add to pinwoofer.Either way best sound upgrade for your bucks.

1 year later
#13 6 months ago

I got 6 or 7 of those Polk subs way back when they were $59 w free shipping. I moved one upstairs to the living room when my larger home theater Polk sub died a couple years ago, and then moved a 2nd one upstairs too. The remaining ones in the game room are doubled up.

ToTAN, when multiball starts - favorite subwoofer moment!

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I got 6 or 7 of those Polk subs way back when they were $59 w free shipping. I moved one upstairs to the living room when my larger home theater Polk sub died a couple years ago, and then moved a 2nd one upstairs too. The remaining ones in the game room are doubled up.
ToTAN, when multiball starts - favorite subwoofer moment!

Lets see:

DE JP T-Rex Roar
Whirlwind: "Feel the power of the wind".
LOTR, "To War!"
Rick and Morty/TNA: Danesi knows how to drop the bass canon continuously.
Torpedo Alley: Lots of great bass

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/115-easy-sony-subwoofer-installation-on-2-pins-and-review and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.