Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_5961 (resized).JPG
IMG_5960 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

Hi! A bit new to pinball maintenance... basically, I have a Williams Space Odyssey (2-player version of Space Mission) that used to work perfectly for almost a year, but recently, the 10pt unit would sometimes fail to score (tested on all 3 10pt standups and 50pt targets).

The frequency of this failure kept increasing and my friends and I could not figure out exactly what's wrong. Eventually, we learned the 10pt relay was not releasing, indicating that the EOS switch on the player 1 10pt score reel might be the problem (mysterious because player 2 also had problems sometimes...). While looking at the 10pt score reel, we noticed that the solenoid would try to fire sometimes but not actually pull in the rod fully. So, we took the score reel apart and took out the plunger, cleaned off all parts using soapy water and soft cloth and put it back together, adjusting the EOS switch to be a tad further apart.

While this may have solved the problem with the 10pt relay not releasing, the 10pt score reel now only moves 15% of the time or so the other times, it tries but is unable to move. It's odd - you'd think cleaning off the gunk (there was lots of black) would help, not hurt...

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

(pictures are from before we took it apart to clean)

IMG_5960 (resized).JPGIMG_5960 (resized).JPGIMG_5961 (resized).JPGIMG_5961 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Might be this make/break on the Player relay.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#3 5 years ago

Possibly, but I am not sure what the solution would be. The EOS switch on the 10pt relay is the one in series with the hold switch on the relay

#4 5 years ago

Is the problem only happening with the player 1 score reel or both score reels now? Did you also clean all the contact switches on the score reel? You can use a Flexstone or paper fingernail file to clean the contacts. Make sure all the contacts are clean on the player relay switches. Other issues could be worn plastic gear parts, worn coil stop or a weak coil.

A better way to clean the score reel parts would be to use a biodegradable cleaner like Simple Green, Mean Green, Purple Power, etc. Or rubbing alcohol works well. Use a cotton swab to thoroughly clean all the grease off the score reel gear parts and the solenoid plunger. The plastic gear parts should have no grease on them and should be installed dry before reassembly...

#5 5 years ago

If the 10 Point relay releases before either 10 Point Drum Unit (score unit) solenoid completes its stroke, check these 3 switches for proper operation.

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#6 5 years ago
Quoted from lloprete:

Possibly, but I am not sure what the solution would be

Clean and ensure the sw. is making good contact. I think it's there because you're having occasional problems with the P2 reel.

#7 5 years ago

Hi Iloprete
I agree with HowardR (post-5). I look at his JPG - the rightmost arrow points to the so-called "Self-Hold-Switch on the relay". Please try: With a finger close one of the 10-points-standup-targets-on-the-playfield for about half to a full second. Question: Do You always get the 10 points ? Greetings Rolf

#8 5 years ago

Thank you all for your comments and posts. I finally solved the problem today (a good night's sleep always helps!) Originally, there were problems with both players not scoring 10pts sometimes.

This led me to believe it was a problem with either the in-hold switch on the 10pt relay or the one that connects to the player relay to actually move the score reel. So, I simply cleaned both switches as recommended, and adjusted them slightly to match the neighboring N.C. or N.O. switch's gap widths.

And somehow - this worked!! Space Odyssey is back up and running like normal! Both 50pt and 10pt targets score exactly as intended!

Thank you all for your wisdom. Now, to play a few games!

-lloprete

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/10pt-unit-no-longer-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.