Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by leckmeck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5149.jpeg

#1 5 years ago

I found this on the 10k score reel of the Lucky Hand I'm rebuilding:

IMG_5149.jpeg

It's the decagon unit controlling the circuit for awarding an extra ball for high scores. As you can see, the common path in the middle is severely pitted in three places and slightly pitted in two others.

(the middle area appears glossier because I polished the finger path with a Dremel)

I swapped out this board with a spare one from a parts machine, but I'm concerned there is a short somewhere. Should I be worried?

#2 5 years ago

Wow! Those are some killer arc marks. I have not seen any appear that badly. Usually they are only near the transitions from pad to pad.

It certainly indicates a problem existed at least at one time. If the extra ball function (score portion) seems to be working properly now, it may have been from a problem long ago. Bare minimum, I would trace the path from the score selection jones plugs and visually inspect related switch stacks looking for missing fish paper or nylon spacers (those white barrels stamped into the switch blade to allow it to be pushed by another blade without shorting out).

I would also check the ohms value of any coils this path can energize. Compare the value to other like numbered coils and also check to make sure these coils are the proper number as spelled out in the schematic. Someone could have changed a relay coil for something stronger to overcome another issue. This would draw more power through the wiper contacts.

However, arc marks that bad would probably be due to a short and over fusing.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Cactus. When it comes time to fire up the game, I think I'll just make sure that correct fuses are in place and do some testing with high-score WOWs. If the solenoid fuse blows, I'll dig deeper.

#4 5 years ago

I've never seen burns through the copper like that either. Have you checked the Pinball Resource for a replacement or asked around for a used board yet? That board is repairable but a replacement would be better.

Steve

#5 5 years ago

I've already replaced this board with a decagon unit from a parts machine.

#6 5 years ago

Here's a link to a site that posted a hack I documented years ago for Lucky Hand, it may be an interesting read for you. I noticed that the pics aren't there for assistance though. They probably need to update the site or find a new server for their picture links. I have the pics still and can post them here maybe, if there is interest. Also the email link for me has been changed (for anyone reading that might try to use it to contact me).

Steve

http://www.team-em.com/LuckyHandHack.htm

#7 5 years ago

Hi Steve: I've read the documentation for your Lucky Hand hack a couple times. It's super cool and very impressive! I have been contemplating a slightly less ambitious hack for my Lucky Hand. I have a handful of extra score reels with decagon units. I could mount one on the side of the score reel cage and wire it up to function as a phantom 100k reel. The decagon unit could be used to light up the corresponding 100k+ score lights. Shouldn't be too hard to include this extra reel in the startup/reset sequence and step it up when the 10k reel rolls over.

2 weeks later
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Hi Steve: I've read the documentation for your Lucky Hand hack a couple times. It's super cool and very impressive! I have been contemplating a slightly less ambitious hack for my Lucky Hand. I have a handful of extra score reels with decagon units. I could mount one on the side of the score reel cage and wire it up to function as a phantom 100k reel. The decagon unit could be used to light up the corresponding 100k+ score lights. Shouldn't be too hard to include this extra reel in the startup/reset sequence and step it up when the 10k reel rolls over.

I couldn't help but notice that you said you have a handful of extra score reels with decagon units. I was wondering if you might consider selling one. I have very similar pitting on the first player 1000s score reel on my surfer.

If you have one to spare I would greatly appreciate it!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

If you have one to spare I would greatly appreciate it!

Sure, I'll PM you about it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 89.00
Boards
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 14.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 28.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Lighting - Interactive
TheDudeMods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 23.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside