(Topic ID: 306277)

$10k by Christmas - A Stroll Down Memory Lane

By mmuglia

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

A stroll down memory lane:

When I started in the this hobby almost 20 years ago, people would ask opinions on Rec.Games.Pinball (RGP) "what's my game worth" and someone would always chime in with "$10k by Christmas." I used to get a good laugh out of reading that back then. This is back when I bought a BSD for $1,200, a TZ for $3k, and an AFM for $2,800. I used to think I would never pay $10k+ for a game, and here I am, I just bought a JJP GnR LE. I guess the joke is on me.

This is not a rant on pinball prices, because honestly, I don't care how much you buy or sell a game for. This post was more about a stroll down memory lane when we all used to laugh when someone said "$10k by Christmas", because no games ever sold for that much, and now it's the norm.

Do we need to change it to "$20k by Christmas?"

Merry Christmas Pinside!

#2 2 years ago

My 1st game was an $800 F-14 Tomcat. Now it would be hard to find one for a couple grand. Maybe even 10k by Christmas.

The last game I bought was GoT NIB. That’s an easy 10k game and it’s not even Christmas

#3 2 years ago

Wonder who truly was the first person to say 10k by Christmas here...?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from mmuglia:

Do we need to change it to "$20k by Christmas?"
    Merry Christmas Pinside!

For the same impact it needs a whole order of magnitude.

$100k by Christmas.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

$100k by Christmas.

Haha...I think you're right!

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My 1st game was an $800 F-14 Tomcat. Now it would be hard to find one for a couple grand. Maybe even 10k by Christmas.
    The last game I bought was GoT NIB. That’s an easy 10k game and it’s not even Christmas

My first game was a $600 Jokerz! It was a really nice example. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen another one that nice. Probably a $3k game today.

#7 2 years ago

Yeah crazy how fast prices have jumped. I bought my first game back in 2007. NIB could be had for under $4k. I too can’t complain about pricing as ive paid $10k for a game and want some newer Stern Premiums. Wish I could of bought them a few years ago but went with the remakes instead. No regrets there. Just have a wife that doesn’t care at all about pinball and sees them as expensive things I barely play.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Wonder who truly was the first person to say 10k by Christmas here...?

Dont know if its first, but 9 years ago.....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #9 2 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

Yeah crazy how fast prices have jumped. I bought my first game back in 2007. NIB could be had for under $4k. I too can’t complain about pricing as ive paid $10k for a game and want some newer Stern Premiums. Wish I could of bought them a few years ago but went with the remakes instead. No regrets there. Just have a wife that doesn’t care at all about pinball and sees them as expensive things I barely play.

How much was a game in 1992 compared to 2007?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Dont know if its first, but 9 years ago.....[quoted image]

Thank you!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

$100k by Christmas.

Agree!

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Haha no idea i was in elementary school. I get what your saying though.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What game was this person talking about?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Well i almost bought a TZ for 1600 in 1996. Bought a FH for 800 in either 95 or 96.

I can say prices started going up around 2004 as that was when i stepped away from buying games.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Well i almost bought a TZ for 1600 in 1996. Bought a FH for 800 in either 95 or 96.
    I can say prices started going up around 2004 as that was when i stepped away from buying games.

From something Googled

$1,600 in 1996 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $2,834.40 today, an increase of $1,234.40 over 25 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 2.31% per year between 1996 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 77.15%.

This means that today's prices are 1.77 times higher than average prices since 1996, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. A dollar today only buys 56.45% of what it could buy back then.

The inflation rate in 1996 was 2.95%. The current year-over-year inflation rate (2020 to 2021) is now 6.81%.

$1,6000 invested in the S&P 500 with no other contributions would be worth $8,800 today.

I didn't have any money or tables in 1996

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

What game was this person talking about?

XMLE

#17 2 years ago

My first game that I bought was a used Addams Family,bought it from a pizza shop for $1000.00.
    Great shape,just took months to get the pizza shop smell out of it.

#18 2 years ago

10k by Christmas still applies…… for a topper

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

10k by Christmas still applies…… for a topper

No doubt there!!

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yep, that was the one!

A few months ago I went back and found it too.

In the X-Men thread. The first ever “10k by Xmas” mention!

It came on the back of the sudden rise of Tron LE machines. So XMen and Avengers Hulks were selling out day one as people got greedy, looking to make a few bucks.

Looking back - it was probably the beginning of the greed and flipping we see so much today in the hobby.

rd

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Yep, that was the one!
    A few months ago I went back and found it too.
    In the X-Men thread. The first ever “10k by Xmas” mention!
    It came on the back of the sudden rise of Tron LE machines. So XMen and Avengers Hulks were selling out day one as people got greedy, looking to make a few bucks.
    Looking back - it was probably the beginning of the greed and flipping we see so much today in the hobby.
    rd

I hate to tell you, but the "$10k by Christmas" goes back way further than that. Guys that have been in the hobby long enough know we've been saying it for at least 15-20 years.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from mmuglia:

I hate to tell you, but the "$10k by Christmas" goes back way further than that. Guys that have been in the hobby long enough know we've been saying it for at least 15-20 years.

Hey - no doubt.

I’ve been in the hobby 30 years plus, and it was the first time I’ve seen it.

rd

#24 2 years ago

All I know is Judge Dredd is a $1400 game folks.

#25 2 years ago

Somehow I knew you would end up chiming in on this one Lloyd. You helped me diagnose my first board problem back in the RGP days with a bad LM339 on a WhoDunnit. You're still the man with all your help in the pinball community!

Merry Christmas

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from mmuglia:

Somehow I knew you would end up chiming in on this one Lloyd. You helped me diagnose my first board problem back in the RGP days with a bad LM339 on a WhoDunnit. You're still the man with all your help in the pinball community!

Merry Christmas

Thank you my friend ! Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones too !

LTG : )

#27 2 years ago

I'd love to here Koz's comments on today's prices.
    Merry Christmas Lloyd!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I'd love to here Koz's comments on today's prices.

He left a wife and I believe two kids. I hope they are doing good this holiday season.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

Merry Christmas Lloyd!

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones my friend !
    LTG : )

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

He left a wife and I believe two kids. I hope they are doing good this holiday season.

Yes, it was a sad loss indeed. Way before his time.
    Take every day as a blessing. "There is no spoon"

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

All I know is Judge Dredd is a $1400 game folks.

My HUO Dredd will debate this highly .

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

My HUO Dredd will debate this highly .

Famous post from years ago quoted many times after it was posted. Wonder how many folks here remember. Yes. I am old.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Famous post from years ago quoted many times after it was posted. Wonder how many folks here remember. Yes. I am old.

I remember. In fact, wasn't it Judge Dredd is a $1300 game?

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from mmuglia:

I remember. In fact, wasn't it Judge Dredd is a $1300 game?

I wouldn’t pay $1200 for it but some “crazy folks” paid $1300 back years ago. How did that work out? Lol

Kidding but personally 10 years ago I thought pinball was undervalued due to how much fun it was, the limited amount of games out there and the value when you compared it to any other hobby, collectible or activity.

Even now I ask to folks who are selling out and leaving “what are you buying next that doesn’t cost significantly more then it did a few years ago?” Haven’t heard any replies, but I am curious.

I remember your avatar being Angus hairy chest for a long time mmuglia . I miss that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/10k-by-christmas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.