Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

witch_flies_4.gif
wizardhouse.jpg
423527_3094067225587_1081238173_329877.jpg
dancing_fruit.gif
felix.gif
jscrow.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Regarding the theme. I have spoke with many folks outside the pinball world about WOZ. It is pretty amazing how many of them could care less about pinball until I say WOZ is coming and it has never been done before. They typically light up bit and say I want to come see it when you get it. Ladies and kids typically and some men but interested in the least. Good for pinball. I do believe that Jack picked a good starter theme. I really do.

Just about anybody that is over the age of 38 remembers when there were only 3 major channels on TV (not counting PBS the 3 were ABC, NBC, and CBS). Also, the Wizard of Oz movie was only broadcasted once a year and was not available on VHS, etc. like it is now, thus for many it was an annual family event to watch the movie. I have nothing but great memories from each year, popping some popcorn and watching the movie with my brother and parents.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from GoBlue:

coasterguy said:

Regarding the theme. I have spoke with many folks outside the pinball world about WOZ. It is pretty amazing how many of them could care less about pinball until I say WOZ is coming and it has never been done before. They typically light up bit and say I want to come see it when you get it. Ladies and kids typically and some men but interested in the least. Good for pinball. I do believe that Jack picked a good starter theme. I really do.
WOZ isn't an appealing theme for most of us on this site, but it is a good theme (good vs. evil, timeless story, etc.). Compare WOZ to all the crappy movie theme pins in the 90s and 2000s...

It is funny how generational themes can be. I am 43 and was 16 when Transformers was invented so I have absolutely no interest in that theme. It came after I was too old to play with toys anymore. That theme has a very limited age group to appeal to (basically 40 and under, and normally people that are under 25 years old don't have money to buy NIB pinball machines).

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

jalpert said:

If Wizard Of Oz is your bag it looks like fun. For the rest of us it doesn't look like it's anything special. It's got a bunch of toys, and a couple mini play fields to break up the flow nicely, but besides an LCD how is this a next generation pinball?
*insert Debbie Downer .gif here

I am not sure Jalpert wants pinball to be pinball anymore. What is supposed to change to make it next generation? JJP is making new toys, new lighting systems, LCD instead of antiquated DMD and new improved playfield and cabinet printing. If you change it in more drastic ways it probably becomes something other than pinball like video games or redemption games.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from SecretSaver:

From the videos, this game has tons of cool toys, but terrible and I mean Champion Pub terrible flow, or lack of flow. Remember that game had lots of cool toys too, but man was it a dog to play. I hope my initial impressions are wrong, but right now I am really hoping the rumor is true that Lawlor is on oars for game two.

I would like to see a better player like Keith Johnson playing it with concentration. It is hard to tell what the flow is like. Those videos looked like average players not really even trying very hard because they were busy talking while playing.

#51 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

hawkeye11 said:

I'm a player, I'm interested in gameplay. I'm really not seeing anything that groundbreaking. Looking forward to seeing the actual ruleset.
The mini-playfield looks like a snooze fest; never really like them.
Robert

The nice thing about these mini-playfields in WOZ is that they feed quickly back to the flippers when they exit. I think a lot of mini-playfields have a lag when putting the ball back to the main playield, but the wireforms in WOZ will have the action never really lagging (especially the witch's castle does not appear to have any ball locks, I am not sure about the spinning house playfield and whether there is a ball lock there).

#53 11 years ago

Not every pin should be a fan pattern. That would just be boring.

Also, most said that SM was not a great game until the code was updated.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

That's my whole point. Lots of people saying this is the second coming of pinball, but it just looks like a standard pinball to me. I'm not saying it's a bad thing either (except for the theme), but it's not revolutionary.

Exactly! We don't want revolutionary pinball, we want high quality pinball with many complex features. That is what JJP is striving for and looks like they will attain.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I was talking with Gary one day about 1.5 years ago with 2 or 3 other local pinheads. One of them asked Gary what would happen if another pinball manufacturer came onto the scene, is there enough room in the market for two. He said literally, either they will close or we will.
Granted things have changed, B/W stuff is harder to find and going through the roof freeing up more money for NIB purchases etc. But what if things haven't changed that much?
Let's not forget that for a lot of years, Stern was the only company in town making pinball machines. love them or hate them, they are the ones that kept it alive.
DCFAN said:

Exactly! We don't want revolutionary pinball, we want high quality pinball with many complex features. That is what JJP is striving for and looks like they will attain.

I see what you are saying, and if you look at my collection I have LOTR LE and SM that are keepers. I don't want either company to fail. I think pinball is growing because there is new blood filtering in mainly because of Farsight's console pinball games (The Williams Collection and Pinball Arcade) bringing new interest to pinball or rekindling old pinball interests. I just would like to see Stern start evolving and they look like they have started with the AC/DC design and the rumors that they are working on an LCD system. I also think they need to continue to make more complex toys and definitely need to integrate a stereo sound system in all pins like Bally and Williams slot machines are now doing.
Additionally, I agree that theme is also important. AC/DC was a big band until about 1981, but their time was long gone by the time I was a teenager and they were not even getting the radio play that other groups such as Led Zeppelin were getting. Transformers was after my childhood since it was invented when I was 16 years old and past the age of toys. Somehow I have not watched the XMen movies and they did not have any XMen cartoons when I was a kid, but I am interested in watching the XMen movies now since the Avengers and the other movies associated such as Iron man were enjoyable. The lack of an LCD is a no-go for me for any pins right now. I will wait and see how the LCD in WOZ is before buying another pin. The evolution to LCD is happening whether you resist it or not.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

DCFAN said:

AC/DC was a big band until about 1981
WOZ was a huge movie in 1939. What was the point again ?
Jim

AC/DC is very heavy metal that only has a small demographic of fans that happen to be very loyal/avid. WOZ is a family movie that is all encompassing demographically. That is the point. I listened to AC/DC when I was 12 years old and then grew up and AC/DC did not make much music at that point that was memorable. TNT and Dirty Deeds were memorable for their catchy sounds/phrases. After that, bands that had more harmony, melody and deepness such as Led Zep, U2, The Who, The Police, REM, etc. dominated the airwaves.

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from Kevgascan:

<P>I just think it looks cheesy in the video. The house would look better without the giant feet popping out the side. Maybe it looks better in person. </P>

I am sure you could disable the feet if you do not like them just like you could probably disable that game slowing view blocking moving ramp in XMen LE.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Is AC/DC in stereo ?

I would guess that Stern will switch to a Stereo sound bar when they start making the LCD pins. Williams and Bally are using them in many of their slot machines, and JJP is using them a as well (it appears).
Stern probably wants to redesign just about everything about their system all at once to incorporate the new boards, LCD, cabinets, sound systems. It is easier than having to modify things structurally each time you add an individual element.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 24.50
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1080-woz-videos-from-e3-flipping-witch-melt-spinning-house-witches-castle?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.