Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 646 posts
  • 213 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Medisinyl
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220705-095959_Chrome.jpg
    13b433e3b24b1456.jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    6B655CE5-0F16-4202-B770-7E780C0A6253 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220704-211946_Chrome (resized).jpg
    E295593C-3F31-423E-AD7E-B9C92D62B91A (resized).jpeg
    7459D351-E94A-40DA-AFCA-DCACCE0CB2B3.gif
    71098B3B-2EAE-49B6-B32D-D14FD853B9D4 (resized).jpeg
    E9FF6B02-2D45-4CF1-9308-A6623B7EC12E.jpeg
    f66efa18-b5dc-4796-b70f-c50718379fd4_500 (resized).png
    A845C7EC-63DF-4F83-8146-A6C4718C1A4B (resized).jpeg
    54137CDB-824A-4444-BF9B-BEA088DE3539 (resized).jpeg
    1B09B80E-7E8F-41CA-8952-83BCE9AC3409.gif
    DBE1D058-303C-4DB3-9D53-AAC9CACE432D (resized).png
    2836840c0a1c9a684ee5fab4b83947aacca4f154 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 646 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Watch at the 26 minute mark.

Watched at the 26 min mark, Didn’t see anything pertaining to this thread. What are we supposed to see?

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from Charliew65:

Watched at the 26 min mark, Didn’t see anything pertaining to this thread. What are we supposed to see?

I saw some empty boxes... is that a sign of things to come?

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I saw some empty boxes... is that a sign of things to come?

I think it means the theme is pizza related.

#104 1 year ago

Love this hobby. Just when you thought you’d seen it all, the ridiculous becomes real.

You all whinge about NIB prices, but for the price of admission you get so much more than a pinball machine. You get endless hours of entertainment.

#105 1 year ago

John, may I suggest an idea?

Like you, I enjoy my occasional carbonated barley swill. Make a pin that has a tap above the drink holder. When you complete a mode or get a special, it adds beer to your glass. Follow your passion and good things will happen.

Pure gold, my friend!

#106 1 year ago

Thanks for this gift of content for our upcoming podcast!

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from Charliew65:

He was talking with Steve Ritchie.

#108 1 year ago

Is that $100k Canadian? If so it can be paid in Loonies.... just kidding. TNA, Archer, Sonic Spinball...they started as dreams too. Good luck!

#109 1 year ago

Learn how to code and create games in Visual Pinball (VPX), build your custom game in VPX, test it like crazy and then try to setup a meeting with Spooky and or American Pinball to present the table with a professional presentation.

Also, Kaneda is offering to build a custom pin for only $19k, seems like a steal.

Screenshot 2022-07-01 092845 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-07-01 092845 (resized).jpg

#110 1 year ago

There hasn’t been much fun to follow here since the Creature hologram mod thread got quiet. Thanks!

#111 1 year ago

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

I think it means the theme is pizza related.

I saw a Mtn Dew bottle there so could it be a “Do the Dew”?

#113 1 year ago

Steve Martin...

How to be a millionaire and never pay taxes.

Step one, get yourself a million dollars.

#114 1 year ago

Granted, I've never built a pinball machine but I'm not sure how the calculations work out to how 100k could build only a single machine, but say 110k could not build 5 machines, in which case you'd just need five "investors" to give you 22k each. or 120k to build 10 machines, 12k each from 10 people.

all that said, if you have the know how and the time, why not put together the prototype sans license in the meantime...

#115 1 year ago

Amazing balls if this isn’t a joke considering the disaster his basic playfield production was: horrendous time management, constant excuses for literally years of delays (some medical, many questionable, but always something), poor planning and overall execution. Past performance suggests further train wrecks.

#116 1 year ago

Think your aiming to low. What you need is 1 Million Dollars. Isn't Elon Musk a fellow Canadian.
    Sure Canada will fund your dream but you need to earmarc more.

#117 1 year ago

Pinball is easy. Just add money rinse and repeat. I recommend getting an empty cab with some bright artwork on it and some blinky lights. That's how you show you are serious. Probably a good time to announce the 15 or so other games you have planned. First 100 people that order get a free tshirt, topper, or something cool. Pinheads love all that crap.

#118 1 year ago

If you get 100k, I’ll throw in 5k for you to re-engineer the tilt bob.

It’s cheating
    It’s slop
    and it’s high time it stopped!

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

John, may I suggest an idea?
    Like you, I enjoy my occasional carbonated barley swill. Make a pin that has a tap above the drink holder. When you complete a mode or get a special, it adds beer to your glass. Follow your passion and good things will happen.
    Pure gold, my friend!

Been done already:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/117014

#120 1 year ago

I’ll just call the the Lamberger Effect;

While some think this stuff is funny, I find it kind of sad and don’t want to participate in the pointing and laughing.

There’s lots of people out there who really need help (and in pinball, a lot of them seem to reside in Canada) and I hope they get it.

#121 1 year ago

I too am looking for a wealthy investor. For $100,009.00 you may get your dream licensed theme and a fillet of fish combo from McDonald’s* or you may lose your money. Let’s be honest you will most defiantly loose your money, but at least you get the sandwich!

*medium, there will be an additional charge for large.

#122 1 year ago

I’m going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt for now. One of my rules of thumb in life is - You don’t get, if you don’t ask. There’s nothing wrong with him asking because the worst answer he can get is - No. Is it a good investment? Who knows? However, there is no harm in him asking. No reason to pile on someone you likely don’t know.

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

That explains the avatar!

But How can MaxAmillion be a multimillionaire? His max is a million!

#124 1 year ago

2 more weeks

#126 1 year ago
    giphy-downsized-large.gifgiphy-downsized-large.gif
    #127 1 year ago

Thar she blows!

#128 1 year ago

Give me money......money me......money now.....me a money needing a lot now.

#129 1 year ago
    Money-Whale-APK-Pro-MOD-for-android-Download (resized).pngMoney-Whale-APK-Pro-MOD-for-android-Download (resized).png
    #130 1 year ago

I need 100,000 dollars to make the best soundtrack for a modern pinball machine. Mad money

#132 1 year ago

I'm seeking $100k for a 0% share in a Ferrari 355 for myself.

This is a Killer proposition for the Right whale. Hell, throw in some Beluga and a Minke for yourself.

#133 1 year ago

Why not go on sharktank?

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Amazing balls if this isn’t a joke considering the disaster his basic playfield production was: horrendous time management, constant excuses for literally years of delays (some medical, many questionable, but always something), poor planning and overall execution. Past performance suggests further train wrecks.

Boy if this statement isn't the truth!

If I had $100K to invest, I'd rather give it to Wile E Coyote to startup a Road Runner catching business. It would have a better chance of success than this!

But I'll be enjoying all the upcoming posts

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #135 1 year ago

John, it's time to set down that beer and pick up a job application.

You have a pulse, you're hired. Get out there before recession hits.

#136 1 year ago

The bar is set high for a single whale investor at $100k US. Licensed theme, & it might be the only one if it does not go into production. I have all the things lined up for production here in Halifax. If not people will likely be interested at the $10k US mini whale pinball game. I have learned a lot the past 25 years, failures too! My company did not go bankrupt, I did personally after retiring from my job.

So I will be talking with those interested in Plan B, starting August 1 if the big whale is not found. There is already 1 mini whale who reached out last night. With all the shit here you will likely not see them post.

Ben I enjoy pinball, & working on games. No need to look any further for employment outside of my passion. Been waiting all my life to make a game(s) before I drop dead. If anyone has learned anything about pinball failures you better start small & slowly go from there. I am not Jpop, & know how to keep work space to a minimum.

#137 1 year ago

If this is going to be a one off machine there is no reason to pay for the license ahead of time. Make the machine with your own money, put your cool theme on it and if someone wants to take it into full production they can figure out how to obtain the license. I know nothing about making a game or the licensing of IPs but I think your going through this process out of order.

#138 1 year ago

Wait...you've never passed out before?
    RETURN TO BATTLE SOLDIER!

#139 1 year ago

i'm officially changing my username to MiniWhale. I feel it accurately reflects my life. If anyone's looking for me, you know what to search. Thanks, John!

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Granted, I've never built a pinball machine but I'm not sure how the calculations work out to how 100k could build only a single machine, but say 110k could not build 5 machines, in which case you'd just need five "investors" to give you 22k each. or 120k to build 10 machines, 12k each from 10 people.
    all that said, if you have the know how and the time, why not put together the prototype sans license in the meantime...

I think that is a far better target and is the model I would be choosing if I wanted to enter the arena. It could be pulled off in a garage and pre purchasing much of the material could be done beforehand.

Worst case 5 rare and unique $20k pins hit the streets and best case the interest and deposits pour in to do another run of 5-10 machines… Rinse and repeat.

#141 1 year ago

Whales are OK... I like turtles.

#143 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampshroom:

If this is going to be a one off machine there is no reason to pay for the license ahead of time. Make the machine with your own money, put your cool theme on it and if someone wants to take it into full production they can figure out how to obtain the license. I know nothing about making a game or the licensing of IPs but I think your going through this process out of order.

^^this sums it up^^ If this is actually a serious endeavor and you can do what you claim you can do, roll with this and show what someone is investing in, show off your talents. An old post eludes you have a workshop and are moving toward your own projects, put it to use: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/build-contractor-for-shows#post-6625261

No one is banging down your door for a one off using a license. Elwin did it with his Archer and it became Maiden. Others had created one offs as well, on their own.

This forum is the wrong place to ask for money and comes off in extremely bad taste, especially after what has occurred the past few years. Best of luck in creating your machine

#144 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i'm officially changing my username to MiniWhale. I

Don’t forget to change your avatar

EDEE1785-C6E3-468C-9A87-9C3A046680A2 (resized).jpegEDEE1785-C6E3-468C-9A87-9C3A046680A2 (resized).jpeg
    #145 1 year ago

Now we are talking. A hundred grand and some really good soup.

LTG : )

#146 1 year ago

This hobby is still clown world. I will see you all next month when I check back in....

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I think that is a far better target and is the model I would be choosing if I wanted to enter the arena. It could be pulled off in a garage and pre purchasing much of the material could be done beforehand.
    Worst case 5 rare and unique $20k pins hit the streets and best case the interest and deposits pour in to do another run of 5-10 machines… Rinse and repeat.

Little experience in this field but the numbers don’t really add up at those prices.

136E7BBE-F5A1-4504-A4C5-FE0A4D3CD537 (resized).png136E7BBE-F5A1-4504-A4C5-FE0A4D3CD537 (resized).png
    #148 1 year ago

I love pinball. I get it… I’d love to make a living on pinball but relegate it to a hobby as I can do better elsewhere. However, your pitch is, “I’ve given my pitch to an expert at a real manufacturing company (David Fix at American)… if he passes on it you can invest!”. You are asking for money only if an expert in the field passes on your pitch…. That is not a good way to start off. Having followed the Deeproot thread for months, you have mentioned multiple bankruptcies and how you are trying to get back into the business by working with the folks who bought some of the Deeproot assets... is this a pitch to further fund development of some of those games… like the Who? Is this another attempt to finish RAZA… for the third time?

It’s hard to get into pinball… especially design/manufacturing as a business… but it can be done. Scott Danesi built a homebrew pinball machine, took it to shows, got support and demand behind it and got it published by Spooks (525 copies sold… great game). The Iron Maiden game so many know and love started out as Archer in Keith Elwin’s garage. He made a game, proved it was awesome, and it was picked up for manufacture by the world’s biggest pinball company. Heck… Ryan Mcquaid just got hired by American Pinball after homebrewing this awesome Sonic pinball machine.

These folks transitioning from pinball hobbiests to pinball professionals all had one thing in common… a proven track record. What game do you have completed you can show us that would warrant investment? Even JPOP had his RAZA (mostly) at the start of Deeproot. I’ve played a handful of home brew pinball machines at shows. All are impressive labors of love, but most pale in comparison to what Stern, JJP, Spooky, and American Pinball can do.
    As I understand it, Spooky will design/make custom games for you (Dominos/The Jetsons), American Pinball has made small runs, and Stern will make a small run custom theme for you for a fee. Most recently Stern made the NFT themed Escape from the Megaverse for someone

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-stern-nft-title-escape-from-the-megaverse. These companies all have proven track records of making and delivering machines. If you have a theme you want there are places where you can pay money and know you are getting a fully functional game. If you are on a budget… CPR can make you a custom art package complete with plastics, playfield, and backglass to retheme most any classic pinball machine. Reprogramming the sounds with a custom chip is something there are guides to here or you could throw someone a few hundred bucks to have done for you. You can have a one off of pretty much any pinball machine you want… withstanding restrictions to copyright.

All of these options are substantially cheaper than what you are asking, and all have a better track record (any record) of delivering as advertised. Do you have a whitewood? Do you have a flipping white wood? Do you have art, video assets, a supplier? Wait… looking at your latest post it looks like you are not looking to pitch a game to an existing manufacturer but to start up a new manufacturing effort… in Canada… on Nova Scotia? Why $100,000 and not $50,000 or $200,000?

We can all clearly tell you are passionate about pinball. I would encourage you to make a homebrew. What you are pitching is setting off every alarm bell possible from a potential investor…

If you are passionate about pinball and are seriously considering this, can I suggest spreading the joy of pinball in other ways? Open a non-profit pinball center to help autistic kids like Spinners in Frederick Maryland… use it as a tax write off https://www.spinnerspinball.org/. Project pinball is another great organization that puts pinball machines in children’s hospitals https://projectpinball.org/ If you don’t want to be out $100,000 but have the space, put a large collection in public like the owner of the Mom’s Organic Market grocery chain did near his house in his local grocery store https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/pinball-parlor-at-moms-organic-market. At the rate pinball machine prices are going up you’d actually do better with this than the stock market. If you want to spread the love of pinball you can always route a machine or three in your local pizza shop. If you really want to invest you can always call the existing manufacturers and ask what kind of return they’d give you on a $100,000 check over 7 years. You might get a guaranteed LE spot if you did that.

What I am saying is that you can absolutely “make an impact” in pinball without requiring outside investment and if you do have investment dollars and you really want to spend it on pinball there are other things you can do that are more likely to spread the love of your hobby.

Dang... that turned into an essay real quick... I really do try to stay positive on this site.

#149 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

This would be the big concern for me.

#150 1 year ago

Satan is right.

Make a game in your garage with a box of scraps like everyone else has to. Then if people like it? You're in business.

There are 646 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100k-whale-investor-for-licensed-game/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.