Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 646 posts
  • 213 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Medisinyl
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220705-095959_Chrome.jpg
    13b433e3b24b1456.jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    6B655CE5-0F16-4202-B770-7E780C0A6253 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220704-211946_Chrome (resized).jpg
    E295593C-3F31-423E-AD7E-B9C92D62B91A (resized).jpeg
    7459D351-E94A-40DA-AFCA-DCACCE0CB2B3.gif
    71098B3B-2EAE-49B6-B32D-D14FD853B9D4 (resized).jpeg
    E9FF6B02-2D45-4CF1-9308-A6623B7EC12E.jpeg
    f66efa18-b5dc-4796-b70f-c50718379fd4_500 (resized).png
    A845C7EC-63DF-4F83-8146-A6C4718C1A4B (resized).jpeg
    54137CDB-824A-4444-BF9B-BEA088DE3539 (resized).jpeg
    1B09B80E-7E8F-41CA-8952-83BCE9AC3409.gif
    DBE1D058-303C-4DB3-9D53-AAC9CACE432D (resized).png
    2836840c0a1c9a684ee5fab4b83947aacca4f154 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 646 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
    #51 1 year ago

For anyone reading who isnt afraid of loosing 100k don't be afraid to loose $$$ on me either. Pm me for PayPal. I may or may not produce something for you.

#52 1 year ago

For $100k there definitely will be a working pinball game. I guess people still think I did nothing the last 15 years while doing my regular 48 hour week job.

#53 1 year ago

Amazing all the sarcasm on here, rightfully so. but how many on here went for the ....
    Deeproot
    Zidware
    All those who still waiting after 10 years for Lebowski
    Highway
    and on and on ....

Robyn, just a suggestion ..... hook up a breathalyzer to greatwichjohn's devices so he cant post on Pinside after drinking!

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from meSz:

hook up a breathalyzer to greatwichjohn's devices so he cant post on Pinside after drinking!

#55 1 year ago

That was the part you were not supposed to laugh at!

#56 1 year ago

Im mostly confused as to why this needs a license. People do this all the time, we call it homebrew. Im working on one now. Not looking for investors though as I doubt anyone would make the game. I dont need a license to make a one-off that Im not selling. Good luck though!

#57 1 year ago

Well with that logic anyone in the pinball business should never have a beer (Jack & Steve). Guess people can go on about me being a alcoholic for drinking beer. Never had a DUI, gone to the drunk tank, emergency, or passed out in my life. I do not depend on beer everyday. I drink lots of diet pop (soda) also, which my area of the country is known as a leader for consumption in North America.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:I guess people still think I did nothing the last 15 years while doing my regular 48 hour week job.

well, everyone knows you went bankrupt.

#59 1 year ago

One Million $’s by Christmas!

#60 1 year ago

A licensed theme has a better chance at getting picked up for production, or to be a one of a kind trophy to a whale investor. Yes my personal bankruptcy is public knowledge, along with my pension of $23k US for my wife & I. Still enjoy working on many games, & I own none after having hundreds. My life is much better working less, & selling off my parts business.

#61 1 year ago
    sop (resized).jpgsop (resized).jpg
    #62 1 year ago

Congratulations greatwichjohn, I’ve got $100,000 for you!

Since you’re in NS you’ll just need to pay some customs duties before I can send the money on to you, which you can do either via wire transfer or by purchasing gift cards and sending me the card numbers. In the meantime, please send me all of your bank account information so I can be ready to deposit all of the money.

#63 1 year ago

I got 5 on it

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

[quoted image]

I was thinking... IF this is about my favorite whale... Fudgie the Whale.... we got a deal.

Fudgie the Whale (resized).pngFudgie the Whale (resized).png
    #65 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

I was thinking... IF this is about my favorite whale... Fudgie the Whale.... we got a deal.
    [quoted image]

Yummy

#66 1 year ago

I don’t think anyone named John should be allowed to make pinball machines. It’s just a bad pattern.

John Poopiedook
    John Trudeau
    Sandwich John

Yeah, nah - no one is giving you $100k. Byyeeeeeeee.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

any whale is not concerned about $100k if he is a multi millionaire

849333C1-B009-4E21-BF86-43B2F164D104.gif849333C1-B009-4E21-BF86-43B2F164D104.gif
    #68 1 year ago

I still don’t think this is real. Dude has to be trolling.

#69 1 year ago

Talk to Ballarama John

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from ticktockman:

I still don’t think this is real. Dude has to be trolling.

He is not. Have you read the deeproot thread?

Edited to add: Or Haggis Mermaid?

#71 1 year ago

Maybe try reaching out to this dude.

6435AD79-1198-47AD-B849-8E37D2015E7C (resized).jpeg6435AD79-1198-47AD-B849-8E37D2015E7C (resized).jpeg
    #72 1 year ago

This guy has a keg of pinball passion and will share it with anyone who will listen. His presentation can be straight down the middle though.

John it was nice to meet you at Pintastic and pick your brain. I wish I had more going on right now but sadly I am just like Ballarama with my box of parts.

I do have dreams of my own though…

#73 1 year ago

Why dont you throw a bit of a teaser here ? Doesn't mean you have to reveal secrets.

Like what stage you're at, if you have a whitewood, some pieces of code, the parts together, some plastics or wire forms.

And then a bit about what you want to do with the money, because rich or not 100k is a lot for a homebrew.

#74 1 year ago

Give me the name of the game or I'm out.

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Give me the name of the game or I'm out.

Taco Bell: The Pinball Adventure

#76 1 year ago

I agree, this doesn't sound like an investment opportunity at all. There doesn't seem to be a plan other than that it's your dream to design and build your own game.

Like TigerLaw said earlier, as your post reads, it's likely you're looking for a patron, not an investor. I'm not seeing how an investor could get their investment back, plus a significant return. If you build a prototype game and stop there, and then what--the investor funds are gone?

There have been too many manufacturing failures with people jumping into manufacturing with no solid product or detailed plan. You really need to think long and hard about a very specific business plan, crunch some numbers, and do market research.

Then on top of that, you would need to have something really special to overcome the issue of a past bankrupcy that nobody else could possibly offer.

Plus, this is probably absolutely the worst possible time to start up manufacturing something non-essential, considering supply chain disruptions, inflation, high shipping costs, and high supply costs.

Sure, I occasionally fantasize what it might be like to design and build my own game. But I'm also a realist--nothing is going to happen unless I knuckle down and do it on my own steam with my own funds (or with a loan that I would be on the hook for).

Then, if you do manage to build a workable game, you might have a chance at it getting built as a contract game. I would suggest reviewing the stories about Black Hole and the Critical Mass prototype from the Gottlieb days, as well as Scott Danesi's path with TNA. If you are not familiar with them, those are two good examples of the efforts it took to make a leap from a prototype to a game being put onto a manufacturing line.

http://www.theyorkshow.com/cm.html

If you want your pipe dream fantasy to come to life, you're probably going to have to put more work into attracting a potential investor/patron.

I can look at several of the homebrew threads and see a whole bunch of individuals doing really interesting things--a few of those projects might meet the threshold for some attention from a patron or pinball company. It's no secret that pinball companies have pulled individuals from the homebrew talent pool.

If you can prove that you can do something, you may get somewhere.

#77 1 year ago

If any regular sized person wants to blow $100K, bring it to me. I'll blow it and bring you with. And you'll have a lot of fun to show for it.

LTG : )

#78 1 year ago

Spending other peoples money is easy

#79 1 year ago

If anyone wants to invest 100k in a 1 of game they should give it to the pinball amigos or someone that has a documented portfolio of what they are working on.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

If anyone wants to invest 100k in a 1 of game they should give it to the pinball amigos or someone that has a documented portfolio of what they are working on.

Or better yet—- take LTG up on his offer.

#81 1 year ago

Is this coming from the Deeproot/Popadiuk apologist/supporter?!?

dumb-and-dumber-laughing.gifdumb-and-dumber-laughing.gif
    #82 1 year ago

I will do whatever the hell John is proposing for half his price…. Have you guys seen some of the absolute shit released in the last 5 years? This “any pinball” bar is low my friend.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I will do whatever the hell John is proposing for half his price…. Have you guys seen some of the absolute shit released in the last 5 years? This “any pinball” bar is low my friend.

I wouldn’t consider this offer until you’ve shown us proof you’ve spoken to at least one pinball industry insider AND have bankrupted at least one company. Ohh and I need to know that you like beer.. like REALLY like it. Then we can talk.

#84 1 year ago

Every time he mentions that either it moves into production or IT DIES doesn’t seem too promising. But he did talk to a pinball insider so he has that going for him.

I smell a best of pinside nomination brewing.

#85 1 year ago

Deeproot 2.0 has launched!

#86 1 year ago

Who gets to keep the game?

#87 1 year ago

Ok, let's ask some real burning questions:

Why would I trust you with my money when you said you have lost a ton? People without means tend not to be good stewards of money, especially when it is not there's.

I fund the prototype and it goes into production. What % royalties do I get? How do we structure this where I make money on my investment? I am not interested in paying 100K for a bespoke machine when I can get somebody to build it for much cheaper.

Am I the only investor?

What is in it for you? What skin are you putting in the game?

How much creative control do I have in the process?

What penalties exist if/when you miss performance milestones?

You need answers to these questions at a minimum. If you do not have this, you are just blowing hot air.

#88 1 year ago

The person is out there.

This is what JPop would always say…something along the lines of “if people will drop a quarter million on artwork or sculptures, there will always be people willing to support my work”.

JPop sold the sizzle, not the steak. He was able to do so due to his personal history of being affiliated with well regarded games from B/W. Not everyone has such credibility to trade for financial support to develop their dream.

100k is a ton of money for a home brew. Look at the Matt Hardy game, that one off was made to order by his wife for his birthday present for a fraction of 100k. Scott Danesi made TNA out of spare parts he had laying around…and a ton of sweat of tears.

#89 1 year ago

Have you reached out to any of these guys?

8A4EEE3D-99BB-4C45-919D-16699DC089FA (resized).jpeg8A4EEE3D-99BB-4C45-919D-16699DC089FA (resized).jpegA40365A9-48D9-4FB0-BE84-23ABA1D0FDAA (resized).jpegA40365A9-48D9-4FB0-BE84-23ABA1D0FDAA (resized).jpeg
    #90 1 year ago

Why don’t you spend your own money to make this amazing homebrew machine like everyone else does. If it really is going to as amazing as you say it’s going to be a known company will produce it…. or it will die.

#91 1 year ago
    download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
    #92 1 year ago

Yes I talked with a knowledgeable person at the show along with David Fix. Told me the way to go is the rich people that usually do not post here, but see what is going on. People know that I can get numerous pinball pieces done, & I can get a fully working game done. $100k US is a reasonable goal for a one of a kind licensed pinball machine. If it moves into production it will be a win for those involved.

yeah .. stock market is doing great
    Rich guys are looking for more risky investments

Feel free to research me personally, & my past pinball production the last 15 years. Lost a shit load of money doing stuff..... Who knows, but any whale is not concerned about $100k if he is a multi millionaire. .

Maybe leave "Lost a shit load of money" out of the pitch
    And $100k is still a lot of money for rich guys due to the high risk involved.

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

yeah .. stock market is doing great
    Rich guys looking for more risky investments

So, you're saying that this "opportunity" wouldn't be a great way to diversify your portfolio???

#94 1 year ago

"What would you say...you do here?"

-"I deal with the Goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to-I have people skills!"

#95 1 year ago

If you are doing a “One Off” you don’t need a license. Plenty of home brews (some good and some not) have been done for just a few thousand.

You only need the big money if you want to mass produce it and then will have to pay a license fee. It does not take $100K to make a prototype…..but it will take an already existing manufacturer to build it or more than $100K from an investor to start building them…pre-order sales is another option to get the money LOL!….I think most have learned that is a disaster and not gonna work for a startup company anymore.

Many others have called the same things out so there has to be more to this than you are telling.

#96 1 year ago

This thread is gold. I laughed more at this than anything on Pinside in a looooooong time.

Seriously though, I will put up $10. We only need 10,000 pinsiders to do the same.

We will have 15 years of entertainment on pinside. That, my friends, is a bargain!

#97 1 year ago

If you truly do have something on your hands may reach out to Spooky or American to see if they may have some interest. I have seen homebrews turned into successful production games so it is not that far off. That being said-it has to be a great design with innovative features to compete in today's market. Is 100K a lot for this project-depends on the layout and potential theme-most Stern titles cost a million plus to develop. If it is non licensed and a mediocre layout -good luck. If it is a art piece that does not play well and is essentially unplayable-good luck. You would think if you actually have something on your hands certain companies would have open ears. I would try and partner with a current manufacturer and not try to reinvent the wheel. If you were to get $500-$700 per machine royalties-that may be the better approach?

I want a game made that has a similar layout to Truckstop with 4 flippers and dual ramps across playfield-make it so

-Send me what you got-and I will get it in front of the right people

#98 1 year ago

Dudes just ahead of the game, way prices are going all games will be 100k each

#99 1 year ago

When John retired and shut down I wished he has a enjoyable retirment. Starting back into another pinball black hole would seem contrary to enjoying life.

To each their own .....

Shane

#100 1 year ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

Umm, call this guy.
    [quoted image]

Yeah, he meets the requirements for pinball startup involvement.

There are 646 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100k-whale-investor-for-licensed-game/page/2?hl=apinjunkie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.