(Topic ID: 160512)

10,000 games manufactured...could GB do it?

By Pinballer07

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fantasygoat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Can GB get to 10k units manufactured?”

• Yes 33 votes
    21%
  • No 126 votes
    79%

(159 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WOF_Alt_Trans.jpg
WOF_ALT_Trans..jpg
doh.jpg
evil_kool_aid_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Ghostbusters will outsell Metallica, that's for sure.

Ghostbusters, like Metallica, is having great "pre-sale hype". People who want it due to theme, regardless of gameplay or long-term fun factor. Only when the game actually gets out there and gains a reputation will we know if it will be a long-term best seller.

AC/DC & Metallica have the Lyman factor. Never for get the importance of that. Both had great pre-sale hype. Both slowed down a bit...but when the code matured, world of mouth spread, sales steadily increased and the rest is history.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

People my age will always remember Metallica as the band that ruined napster.

Great music is great music, and the Napster thing doesn't change the quality of the music.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

After everything is said and done maybe a couple thousand including LE, Premiums and Pros. I think if you add up all the machines that Stern has made in the last couple of years it would not even be 10,000 units manufactured.

They've certainly sold a couple thousand already.

10k is a bit optimistic...but, I can see GB hitting 5k+

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody wants to admit a game they worked on was a disastrous flop. I think KJ might be misremembering those numbers slightly...unless Vid's intriguing "there's a WOF at every nursing home" theory is correct.

1000 is still a "flop" for Stern. NBA is the biggest flop with about 300 produced. CSI was about 500. WOF came out in 2007 right before the bottom kinda fell out. Stern was having a good year with FGY and SM (before anyone recounts Ritchie's FG story, remember - that story was from the Spring...by Fall'07, FGY was selling very well). Distributors ordered a decent amount of WOF. Unfortunately, they then had inventory just sitting there when no one wanted them...but when Starburst in Canada was selling them for $2400 NIB, even WOF-cynics (including myself) said "hey why not" and bought one.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

had no idea they blew out NIB Sterns.

Yup. Starburst blew out NIB WPT & WOF for about $2400 USD. WOF was my first NIB purchase. Part of me wonders if that event helped to lower NIB sales over the next year. I'm sure a lot of collectors were thinking "Why buy full price NIB when I can get the clearance deal later". No clearance of that magnitude ever happened again.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I also thought Family Guy didn't sell so well which is why they did Shrek.

I've posted this story a 1000 times, thought you would have seen it already. One more time.....

FGY didn't do well *AT FIRST*...foreign sales were low, and family establishments didn't want it. So - in order to use the remaining parts, the Shrek "conversion" plan started. However, word of mouth about the game spread & it did well in adult/college locations....home & location sales picked up, and it started to sell well. FGY remained in production for 3 years...the final games being produced at the end of '09 (a few might have been made at the beginning of '10). They never had to use FGY parts for Shrek...they made Shreks, too...but more parts had to be ordered to build both titles.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside