(Topic ID: 160512)

10,000 games manufactured...could GB do it?

By Pinballer07

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fantasygoat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Can GB get to 10k units manufactured?”

• Yes 33 votes
    21%
  • No 126 votes
    79%

(159 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WOF_Alt_Trans.jpg
WOF_ALT_Trans..jpg
doh.jpg
evil_kool_aid_(resized).jpg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Nobody wants to admit a game they worked on was a disastrous flop. I think KJ might be misremembering those numbers slightly...unless Vid's intriguing "there's a WOF at every nursing home" theory is correct.

#52 3 years ago

Heck, they sold 2,065 Bally El Toros in 1972. And 7,303 Williams Jubilees in 1973. A couple games with terrible reputations. Of course back then you couldn't walk into a gas station, restaurant or grocery store without seeing a pin.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Heck, they sold 2,065 Bally El Toros in 1972. And 7,303 Williams Jubilees in 1973. A couple games with terrible reputations. Of course back then you couldn't walk into a gas station, restaurant or grocery store without seeing a pin.

Yeah I'm gonna say those sales figures are pretty much moot.

#54 3 years ago

I have no idea how many numbers of this game Stern will sell but I played the pro yesterday for a hour and a half and I really enjoyed it.

#55 3 years ago

I've seen way too many wof's in my area alone for there to only be 700 of them.
I don't think ghost busters will ever touch the number of TSPP and pirates out there.
Those were two games that chuck e cheese bought along with alot of operators in my area.
AC/DC may have gotten close because everyone loves the rules. I can think of a few on route near me.
Maybe it's a combination of on route and in collections but I see way more pirates and simpsons than any new stern game.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody wants to admit a game they worked on was a disastrous flop. I think KJ might be misremembering those numbers slightly...unless Vid's intriguing "there's a WOF at every nursing home" theory is correct.

Well there are fewer WOF in Pinsider collections (77) than Shrek (96), and Shrek supposedly only had a run of 600 so you could be right that he is miss-remembering high. And my if my family forces me to go to a nursing home someday, I hope that nursing home has a gameroom full of pinball machines

#57 3 years ago

If you read his quoted post he also says " If I had to guess." Nobody really knows its all hearsay.

#58 3 years ago

I'm guessing we may never see the kind of numbers like Bally's Ballyhoo put up ever again-

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4817

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

And my if my family forces me to go to a nursing home someday, I hope that nursing home has a gameroom full of pinball machines

Your family will just TELL you there are pinball machines and you'll be none the wiser most likely.

#60 3 years ago

They are already shipping Ghostbusters to the nursing homes.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm guessing we may never see the kind of numbers like Bally's Ballyhoo put up ever again-
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4817

Only $19?

How much was the Premium?

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Your family will just TELL you there are pinball machines and you'll be none the wiser most likely.

" You can't go play WOF until you finish all of your applesauce....."

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

1000 is still a "flop" for Stern. NBA is the biggest flop with about 300 produced. CSI was about 500. WOF came out in 2007 right before the bottom kinda fell out. Stern was having a good year with FGY and SM (before anyone recounts Ritchie's FG story, remember - that story was from the Spring...by Fall'07, FGY was selling very well). Distributors ordered a decent amount of WOF. Unfortunately, they then had inventory just sitting there when no one wanted them...but when Starburst in Canada was selling them for $2400 NIB, even WOF-cynics (including myself) said "hey why not" and bought one.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Only $19?
How much was the Premium?

$20

#65 3 years ago

The premium had the stand with wooden legs.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

1000 is still a "flop" for Stern. NBA is the biggest flop with about 300 produced. CSI was about 500. WOF came out in 2007 right before the bottom kinda fell out. Stern was having a good year with FGY and SM (before anyone recounts Ritchie's FG story, remember - that story was from the Spring...by Fall'07, FGY was selling very well). Distributors ordered a decent amount of WOF. Unfortunately, they then had inventory just sitting there when no one wanted them...but when Starburst in Canada was selling them for $2400 NIB, even WOF-cynics (including myself) said "hey why not" and bought one.

had no idea they blew out NIB Sterns. I also thought Family Guy didn't sell so well which is why they did Shrek.

#67 3 years ago

How much percent of something produced can it actually be before you have to do some internal justification on the term "Limited Edition"..

if its 500 LE GB pins

and 1000 Premium

and 2000 Pro's

then that is 14.285% so you are at about 15% for a Limited Edition.

of course anything sold beyond those over the next couple of years would push it toward the %10 Limited edition level.

If you never reveal how many are sold you never have to say what "limited" means.. Yes they of course only make so many and then stop but overall I think there is a consensus on what range Limited is from 10% to even 25% but if 40% or half were limited edition of total produced then it losses its value from a marketing and product standpoint. IMO of course.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My guess for total production for next couple years:
500-LE
1000-Premium
1500-Pros

And a run of 500 GB VE's

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

And a run of 500 GB VE's

Doh -I forgot about the 2018 VE Run

doh.jpg

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

The premium had the stand with wooden legs

And the LE was signed by MrBally himself.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from Jtslade:

How much percent of something produced can it actually be before you have to do some internal justification on the term "Limited Edition"..
if its 500 LE GB pins
and 1000 Premium
and 2000 Pro's
then that is 14.285% so you are at about 15% for a Limited Edition.
of course anything sold beyond those over the next couple of years would push it toward the %10 Limited edition level.
If you never reveal how many are sold you never have to say what "limited" means.. Yes they of course only make so many and then stop but overall I think there is a consensus on what range Limited is from 10% to even 25% but if 40% or half were limited edition of total produced then it losses its value from a marketing and product standpoint. IMO of course.

In the case of WOZ, Hobbit, and X-men, I think there are way more LEs than standard models.

#72 3 years ago

Was it 60 machines per day that can be assembled in the Stern plant? I remember seeing that somewhere.

If you 80/20 split your operation from new / currently produced machines then you can make

48 GB Pro's per day = a little over 41 days to produce the 2K Gb pro machines. Not sure if they work on Sundays?

was it 50% or more that go overseas for all Stern pins? If so then the 1000 pros that were made would of been about a month to produce last after the overseas ones are made.

My numbers need fixing as Im off.. I think they do a different split of new to current title manufacturing.

#73 3 years ago

They just have to guess at how many will be sold, because the number of LE's is fixed. They underestimated the demand for LE's for GB and maybe overestimated the demand for Xmen.

Do they say how many LE's were sold for all the other Pins Stern has released. Has it changed? You could maybe use a formula to determine how much they change the LE production number based on the sales of the prior pin.

#74 3 years ago

Don't forget all the WOF they sent to Romania and Croatia.

If the whitebread American WOF was anything like the Romanian one, I'd actually might watch it:

Live band, hostess under 70, way more upbeat....

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

had no idea they blew out NIB Sterns.

Yup. Starburst blew out NIB WPT & WOF for about $2400 USD. WOF was my first NIB purchase. Part of me wonders if that event helped to lower NIB sales over the next year. I'm sure a lot of collectors were thinking "Why buy full price NIB when I can get the clearance deal later". No clearance of that magnitude ever happened again.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I also thought Family Guy didn't sell so well which is why they did Shrek.

I've posted this story a 1000 times, thought you would have seen it already. One more time.....

FGY didn't do well *AT FIRST*...foreign sales were low, and family establishments didn't want it. So - in order to use the remaining parts, the Shrek "conversion" plan started. However, word of mouth about the game spread & it did well in adult/college locations....home & location sales picked up, and it started to sell well. FGY remained in production for 3 years...the final games being produced at the end of '09 (a few might have been made at the beginning of '10). They never had to use FGY parts for Shrek...they made Shreks, too...but more parts had to be ordered to build both titles.

#76 3 years ago

I wonder if any of the retirement homes have the alternate translights for their WOF's?

WOF_ALT_Trans..jpg
WOF_Alt_Trans.jpg

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I wonder if any of the retirement homes have the alternate translights for their WOF's?

That looks like Vid's Romanian translite to me.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Starburst blew out NIB WPT & WOF for about $2400 USD. WOF was my first NIB purchase. Part of me wonders if that event helped to lower NIB sales over the next year. I'm sure a lot of collectors were thinking "Why buy full price NIB when I can get the clearance deal later". No clearance of that magnitude ever happened again.

I think you are 100% right that that hurt future sales for awhile. Once you buy something for $2,400 who would come out of pocket later that same year to buy basically the same thing (but different theme) for $4,000...

I wish I would have jumped at one of those deals (particularly WPT).

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Doh -I forgot about the 2018 VE Run

Supposed to be 2017 but no way they make it... agree on 2018

#80 3 years ago

Ghostbusters VE with the hot chicks translite.

#81 3 years ago

That would be high. Anyone know what Metallic is up to now?

#83 3 years ago

What was Williams production capacity in the 90s? I was under the impression that they didn't make a certain machine for as long as Stern does today. That makes 10,000 even more impressive because they made double the machines it takes Stern to make in three years.
If Stern had a machine become their best seller, I would say there's a good chance they would recognize that. I just remembered though that they recognize DE and Sega as part of their history and DE had one or two 10k sellers.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What was Williams production capacity in the 90s?

They had union workers, so their production line ran in increments of 4,000 units, and if sales didn't take off immediately, that's all you got. The lack of flexibility for when you had a dog, plus the close-out sales, killed them. I'm told by former WMS people that their production numbers were about 300/day.

If you want to talk about crazy production numbers, look at Midway in the 80's - they were pumping out Ms. Pac-Man by at least double that number.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
11,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woodbine, DELAWARE
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside