(Topic ID: 160512)

10,000 games manufactured...could GB do it?

By Pinballer07

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fantasygoat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Can GB get to 10k units manufactured?”

• Yes 33 votes
    21%
  • No 126 votes
    79%

(159 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WOF_Alt_Trans.jpg
WOF_ALT_Trans..jpg
doh.jpg
evil_kool_aid_(resized).jpg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

It's been a long time since a pin sold 10,000 units. Williams IJ, STTNG, and TZ all topped the 10k mark in 1993 and I could be wrong, but I don't think a pin has done that since.

I guess we'll never know really because Stern doesn't release manufacturing numbers, but do you think GB could do it? Personally, I don't think the hobby is quite big enough to support that right now, but just curious to see what others think.

#2 3 years ago

No. Absolutely impossible. They can't possibly come close.

Anybody who thinks otherwise really doesn't understand anything about the industry or its history.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No. Absolutely impossible. They can't possibly come close.
Anybody who thinks otherwise really doesn't understand anything about the industry or its history.

agreed. not a chance in hell. It will do at best 10% better than other recnet titles.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

It's been a long time since a pin sold 10,000 units. Williams IJ, STTNG, and TZ all topped the 10k mark in 1993 and I could be wrong, but I don't think a pin has done that since.
I guess we'll never know really because Stern doesn't release manufacturing numbers, but do you think GB could do it? Personally, I don't think the hobby is quite big enough to support that right now, but just curious to see what others think.

Drinking the GB koolaid

#5 3 years ago

My guess is the large numbers you saw in the 90s were because of how big the operator market was. You don't have that kind of size in the huo marke right now. I'd think they might be able to do 4-6k units, thought that's about what they are rumored to have done with tspp and lotr.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

My guess is the large numbers you saw in the 90s were because of how big the operator market was. You don't have that kind of size in the huo marke right now. I'd think they might be able to do 4-6k units, thought that's about what they are rumored to have done with tspp and lotr.

Also AC/DC, right?

It's so easy to get caught up in the hype and think, "yeah, obviously GB will be Stern's best seller ever!!!" Yet they are STILL making and selling Metallicas...are they gonna be doing the same with GB in three years? I doubt it...it's not anywhere near as good to play as Metallica and at some point art/theme just isn't going to be enough to keep up with Stern's biggest hits. And there's gonna be another title being hyped in a few months...and then another after that...and more VEs. The stage just isn't set for GB to do any better than any of Stern's other successful titles with so many more options and newer games for home buyers to choose from.

Williams' crazy 10,000 + sales were the result of a robust arcade scene and pinball machines doing KILLER business on route. That's never going to happen again and neither are sales anywhere near that number. HUO sales will never come close to making up that difference.

#7 3 years ago

It would be awesome to see it happen, but sadly no the market is not there.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Also AC/DC, right?
It's so easy to get caught up in the hype and think, "yeah, obviously GB will be Stern's best seller ever!!!" Yet they are STILL making and selling Metallicas...are they gonna be doing the same with GB in three years? I doubt it...it's not anywhere near as good to play as Metallica and at some point art/theme just isn't going to be enough to keep up with Stern's biggest hits. And there's gonna be another title being hyped in a few months...and then another after that...and more VEs. The stage just isn't set for GB to do any better than any of Stern's other successful titles with so many more options and newer games for home buyers to choose from.
Williams' crazy 10,000 + sales were the result of a robust arcade scene and pinball machines doing KILLER business on route. That's never going to happen again and neither are sales anywhere near that number. HUO sales will never come close to making up that difference.

Perhaps code updates will help it. I thought the game was rather fun and the layout was good but I am biased as GB is probably my favorite movie of all time. My childhood was basically GB.
Having said that, no way in hell will it sell 10k units unless arcades and skating rinks start coming back. Also bowling alley's, granted they are still there but not really for the younger generation.

#9 3 years ago

Including the GB VE scheduled for 2017?

#10 3 years ago

Probably won't reach that number but I did buy one for my business and one for my house and I have never done that NIB before.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Probably won't reach that number but I did buy one for my business and one for my house and I have never done that NIB before.

All we need are 5,000 more people like you and this shit is a done a deal!

#12 3 years ago

It's not like we would know anyway, I don't recall Stern releasing any production numbers for their titles. I wish they would just because I find that type of information interesting.

#13 3 years ago

I think it will do really well initially. Reviews and coding after the initial wave of impulse purchasers will determine if it's a long term success. I think 6000 units could be in reach if everything comes together. Doesn't seem like at the moment stern could make 10K or them anyway.

#14 3 years ago

I know Stern doesn't release production numbers but what is an educated guess from those in the know on how many machines they average for a good title?

#15 3 years ago

Does each machine have a production number?

#16 3 years ago

Ghostbusters will outsell Metallica, that's for sure.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Does each machine have a production number?

Serial number

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Ghostbusters, like Metallica, is having great "pre-sale hype". People who want it due to theme, regardless of gameplay or long-term fun factor. Only when the game actually gets out there and gains a reputation will we know if it will be a long-term best seller.

AC/DC & Metallica have the Lyman factor. Never for get the importance of that. Both had great pre-sale hype. Both slowed down a bit...but when the code matured, world of mouth spread, sales steadily increased and the rest is history.

#19 3 years ago

I find, as a theme, Ghostbusters has broader appeal among us Gen X'ers than any one band. Especially Metallica, which while successful, was never really mainstream.

#20 3 years ago

I'm going to disagree. This is a home owners market. Playability has a lot to with how many machines will sell. GB has the hype now, but is it going to stick? Time will tell. For now MET is still selling, and has a large amount of people purchasing the machine who have no interest in the band.
To stay on topic, I don't think GB will reach that 10k mark.

#21 3 years ago

It's all academic unless Stern releases sales figures.

I don't think it will sell anywhere near 10,000, but it has potential, based on theme and early code, to be modern Stern's best.

#22 3 years ago

The most operator i know said that it's quite difficult to redeem the pinball price a that time.This is why you can still see a TAF or MB etc...on route.So for me it's impossible

#23 3 years ago

I find, as a theme, Ghostbusters has broader appeal among us Gen X'ers than any one band. Especially Metallica, which while successful, was never really mainstream.

People my age will always remember Metallica as the band that ruined napster.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

People my age will always remember Metallica as the band that ruined napster.

Great music is great music, and the Napster thing doesn't change the quality of the music.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All we need are 5,000 more people like you and this shit is a done a deal!

Our Distributor has sold all his GB, Even the ones that were to be sited around the country,

#27 3 years ago

Higher Price points don't = more sales. I bet it makes Stern a nice profit, but not thousands sold. If they lowered the price, more would sell, but at less profit.

#28 3 years ago

Steve Ritchie said at Expo that AC/DC was "the largest selling modern Stern".

We know the largest selling classic Stern was Meteor (with 8,000 units sold), so even the mighty AC/DC did not crack 8,000 units, otherwise Steve would have said "the largest selling Stern ever"

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ghostbusters, like Metallica, is having great "pre-sale hype". People who want it due to theme, regardless of gameplay or long-term fun factor. Only when the game actually gets out there and gains a reputation will we know if it will be a long-term best seller.
AC/DC & Metallica have the Lyman factor. Never for get the importance of that. Both had great pre-sale hype. Both slowed down a bit...but when the code matured, world of mouth spread, sales steadily increased and the rest is history.

That's my point. They are STILL making metallica three years later, and people are still buying them. Is that gonna be true of GB?

At this point in time it's not nearly as good a game, and it's simply not gonna achieve that "I gotta have this game even though I'm not a fan of the theme" factor that Metallica has in spades.

Discussion is moot anyway because it has as much chance of sniffing 10,000 units as I have of sniffing Kate Upton's underwear tonight.

#30 3 years ago

It's all academic unless Stern releases sales figures.
I don't think it will sell anywhere near 10,000, but it has potential, based on theme and early code, to be modern Stern's best.

No, it doesn't. Not with that playfield layout, sorry.

It has potential to be as good as say, 24 or X-Men.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Our Distributor has sold all his GB, Even the ones that were to be sited around the country,

Really?

How many HS2s or STTNGs did your distributor sell? Cause those are the last games to go over 10,000. Also, your distributor has no incentive to do anything than hype up GB, but I'm sure you already know that.

#32 3 years ago

Probably not 10,000 people left in the world that even care about the movie.

#33 3 years ago

evil_kool_aid_(resized).jpg

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Probably not 10,000 people left in the world that even care about the movie.

even I'm not gonna make that claim.

I have no idea why but the whole fucking 29-50 world seems to think this was their version of Citizen Kane.

Look, it's good for a laugh and I LOVED it when I was 10 but this freakin' film was no masterpiece.

#35 3 years ago

Gary Stern has most likely thought, "Thank God!", We did not make the GB pin on the 2016 remake!

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, it doesn't. Not with that playfield layout, sorry.
It has potential to be as good as say, 24 or X-Men.

The right "ramp" is starting to wear on me a bit. The bacon guesing game is REALLY starting to wear on me; and I'm not a 'videa mode' hater at all. I don't know if it has the chops to still be produced 3 years from now.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The right "ramp" is starting to wear on me a bit. The bacon guesing game is REALLY starting to wear on me; and I'm not a 'videa mode' hater at all.

Belongs in the awful video mode hall of fame with Tommy and the aborted CHicken fight from Family Guy.

#38 3 years ago

I think there's precious few themes that could sell 10,000 machines anymore.

Star Wars? Maybe.... if Stern does it right (thats a big "if"). But that'd be the what, 4th SW pin?

I think a Harry Potter pin could come close, but not if JJP does it. NOT a slam on JJP, but they don't do "pro-priced" machines and, as such, probably could match the volume Stern does.

#39 3 years ago

After everything is said and done maybe a couple thousand including LE, Premiums and Pros. I think if you add up all the machines that Stern has made in the last couple of years it would not even be 10,000 units manufactured.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really?
How many HS2s or STTNGs did your distributor sell? Cause those are the last games to go over 10,000. Also, your distributor has no incentive to do anything than hype up GB, but I'm sure you already know that.

Alot less than GB
No one was buying for game rooms back then
Most of our old games got sent off shore in container loads at $800 for dmd games

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

After everything is said and done maybe a couple thousand including LE, Premiums and Pros. I think if you add up all the machines that Stern has made in the last couple of years it would not even be 10,000 units manufactured.

They've certainly sold a couple thousand already.

10k is a bit optimistic...but, I can see GB hitting 5k+

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think if you add up all the machines that Stern has made in the last couple of years it would not even be 10,000 units manufactured.

Keefer said that Stern even made 2000 WOFs, so your estimate might be **a little** low.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They've certainly sold a couple thousand already.

My guess for total production for next couple years:
500-LE
1000-Premium
1500-Pros

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

500-LE
1000-Premium
1500-Pros

Any inside information I've heard would show these numbers to all be way too low.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Keefer said that Stern even made 2000 WOFs, so your estimate might be **a little** low.

Sorry but I call BS on 2000 WOFs. They simply are not out there I would guess maybe 300-700 if that?

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

500-LE
1000-Premium
1500-Pros

Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Any inside information I've heard would show these numbers to all be way too low.

Agreed. From what I have heard about past games, I think GB could do around 6k...maybe better depending on code and its perception long term.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Sorry but I call BS on 2000 WOFs. They simply are not out there I would guess maybe 300-700 if that?

Send him a PM and ask him yourself.

He says that it was 2000.

Who would know better, Keef, who worked there at the time, or you?

I know of 2 senior centers that have them in the rec-rooms, so it's probably a big thing with the gray panthers.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

If they sold 2000 WOFs they sold 4000 CSIs.

Stern is just an unstoppable sales juggernaut.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sorry but I think good old keefer was smoking some good ass reefer

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Send him a PM and ask him yourself.
He says that it was 2000.
I know of 2 senior centers that have them in the rec-rooms, so it's probably a big thing with the gray panthers.

WOF is less than 1000 according to Keefer:

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Here's my educated guesses. And WOF isn't even in the running compared to most of these.
Lowest is very likely between CSI and NBA. 24 was a much better game than either and for that reason alone had to be higher. I have NFI about BBH, and that's despite working at Play Mechanix at the time. My guess is that did kinda well in the northern midwest. BBH COULD be above WOF even, which was just under 1000 if I had to guess.
I would guess 24 in the 800ish range and CSI and NBA 500 or lower.
I have no actual info.
Oh NFL was certainly multiple hundreds, almost certainly more than CSI/NBA. But as stated it was to use parts up, so that would've been a limiting factor without compelling amounts of orders.
SX would shock you with how many were made; most of them are probably in German landfills if I had to guess (or incinerators? I dunno what they do there).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Boonsboro, MD
11,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woodbine, DELAWARE
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside