You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rose bowl back box (resized).jpg
stepper no bell (resized).jpg
IMG_3366.jpg
IMG_7299.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timme.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 7 years ago

That is not the 10K stepper unit. I can tell that because of the limit switch in the path of the pin on the gear, the return torsion spring, and the tooth filed off the gear wheel to stop it from stepping when it reaches the maximum forward position. If this were the 10K stepper, it would be a continuous forward stepper and those three items would not be there.

This stepper is probably for points, or some other step-up & reset feature on your game. The reason there is no screw hole for the bell mount on the coil case is because this stepper is not supposed to have a bell. During this era of game, GTB typically used the same drive arm - one that had a bell arm attached - on all their small steppers, even when there was no bell. That's why you are seeing a bell arm on this one.

There should be another small stepper mounted on the head insert. That will be your 10K stepper unit, and it definitely should have a bell on it.

- TimMe

#10 7 years ago

Rose Bowl is a cool game, I recently had the opportunity to rebuild one. This game has no traditional scoring at all! The only other GTB woodrail I know of without scoring is All-Star Basketball (1952). These games were before my time, so I sometimes wonder if the players of the day were put-off by the absence of traditional scoring.

Also I agree Shapeshifter - from what I've seen, by 1952 all GTBs with a 10K stepper unit had a stepper-mounted bell.

- TimMe

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As far as I know, the knocker was introduced in 1948 as I have had two from that year that have one.

I recall seeing a small knocker unit in the head of a late 1930s pre-flipper machine. It sounded for scoring (not replays) and was positioned so that the plunger would strike directly against the inside wall of the cabinet.

Even in the late 1940s, the knocker had not yet become the "replay" sound. I've worked on several of the late 1940s Gottliebs - Barnacle Bill comes to mind, for example - where the knocker was used for the bonus count. On these machines, replays are added without any accompanying sounding device.

- TimMe

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timme.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/10000-bell-chime-for-early-gtb-woodrails?tu=timme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.