Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by SunKing
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glilly-BOA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 13 years ago

Personally, I think it depends on the value you place on the machine. If you really want it, and plan to keep it, $1000 may be okay because you know you can get it working. If you plan to sell it later on, you will likely never get your investment out of it.

I agree, with the others in that a non-working Paragon should never be worth $1000. But, if it's a machine I really want, I might pay more for it.

On the other hand, if you hold out, the guy will likely lower the price eventually because there aren't many (if any) who would pay $1k for a non-working machine that old.

If you really wanted to push, you could respond that you agree that it is worth $1000, but that's only a "working, very good condition" machine.

I love it when people see an 'antique' machine go for a certain price and they automatically assume that their non-working POS is worth the same as a working (good - very good) machine.

G

#14 13 years ago

If he lets you take a look inside the head and you can see what the diagnostic LED is doing, and it confirms that the CPU is DOA, you can just drop him a hint that a relay isn't going to fix it and it's going to cost at least $200 - $500 to fix it (may be less, but hey, if he's going to high ball, so can you) and let him chew on that a little.

G

#24 13 years ago

"I bought myself a small stock of them a long time ago."

Ditto here. Especially since 5 of my Pins use them.

They are also currently available at Marco starting at $6.95 (who knows how long they'll be in stock?)
http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=5101

G

#32 13 years ago

Stangbat is dead on. And if you're not sure which is which, when you're looking at your outlet, the opening on the left (larger of the two) is neutral and the one on the right (smaller) is Hot. Make sure the wire that plugs into the right outlet opening is the one that's wired to your On/Off switch.

As for your random power issue, it sounds like you may have a cold (cracked) solder joint on a power supply connector or component. You would be best advised to touch up all solder joints, especially in high power areas.

but inside I knew that I was going to have a hard time walking away from it.

Yeah. I'm the same way. That's why I said earlier it depends on the value "You" put on the machine and if you plan on keeping it. If I'm looking at a machine that I'm just buying for an investment, I pay closer attention to the book value.

G

#36 13 years ago

If I were you and have ANY machines with 5101 RAM's I'd buy some now. These aren't going to be around forever. And you may get more machines that use them in the future.

Right on BD. They aren't going to last forever. I've already checked into alternatives myself. There is not direct replacement memory available, but I did find a suitable chip that I plan to make an interface board for that will be a direct plugin to the 5101 socket when they eventually run out.

G

#40 13 years ago

BD, what generation of games use these chips

Sorry for stepping in BD... feel free to add to this.

All of the early Bally SS machines and the Sterns of the same era. These were the book-keeping / high score memory chips that are battery backed up. I'm planning to build a circuit board with a suitable replacement chip that will plug directly into the socket if / when I run out.

Some example machines are KISS, Eight Ball, Centaur, Fathom... and any Bally / Stern that use that series of CPU.

Bally MPU AS-2518-17, Bally MPU AS-2518-35, Stern M-100 MPU, Stern M-200 MPU
(Note the Stern M-200 uses 2 5101 Chips with a 100ns access time).

G

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glilly-BOA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1000-for-non-working-paragon?tu=glilly-BOA and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.