0127170632 (resized).jpg
0127170648 (resized).jpg
DMD Power (resized).jpg
0124172012 (resized).jpg
Left Cannon (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #61 Very useful tech iinformation Posted by Pin_Guy (7 years ago)

Post #126 VUK opto test suggestions. Posted by Pin_Guy (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 7 years ago

As usual Zaza is giving sound advice. Since you are blowing the 18V fuse, you are not only missing the 18V for the lamps (LED6), you are also missing your regulated 12V DC (LED 1) to the MPU since it is developed from the 18V DC; because of this it's pointless to do any work on the lamp or switch matrix. Additionally, the missing 12VR is needed by the MPU for your dedicated ground switches on the coin door, and would be why they are not working.

Edit: Circuit added so you can see where this information comes from.

18V (resized).png18V (resized).png

#8 7 years ago

Ok, I'll say it "I'll take a stab at it" ... I'm confident that you will get it fully operational. If you have to have order a a new BR1, take advantage of this time to evaluate the condition of your cannons and your three diverters; 2 are in the subway and one for the Delta ramp. All 5 of these parts were greased when the game was first assembled and this grease is likely hardened, you will want to remove all of the old grease from these parts and apply a thin coat of grease to them, I use Super Lube on mine. https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000XBH9HI

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I don't have a 32v, will this be an issue?

This is NOT an issue.

The checks Zaza had you do is to look for shorted bridge rectifier diodes, it seems you are reading 0.00V to ground on two readings, this is what you would also read if you put your meter leads together. I personally prefer to take resistance measurements but either way you check them gets you to the same place, you have confirmed that BR1 has two shorted bridge diodes and needs to be replace.

IMG_1889 (resized).JPGIMG_1889 (resized).JPG
IMG_1891 (resized).JPGIMG_1891 (resized).JPG

Depending on your soldering skills and equipment you can opt to replace it yourself, or have someone else replace it for you. Fair warning...things can go South really fast if the board is damaged when replacing this component, let me know how you handle the board repair. This bridge rectifier is going to be difficult to do since you basically have to remove both BR1 and BR2 at the same time by desoldering all 8 leads in order to remove the heatsink, and you would replace both of them at the same time.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

This won't be a problem for me. I'll get on it and report back. Do you think this would cause those close ground error messages? The game is just full on spazing out.

I believe that is the case, without having a working 12V to the processor, it is likely reading a low on all switches and has no idea where any any of the balls are.

I the more I thought about your OEM power board, the more I felt I needed to add more information on this...it's very unlikely that BR1 and BR2 can be successfully replaced without a desoldering station, attempting to replace these with a hand operated extractor will likely result in board damage. You have several options available to you, there is likely going to be repair facilities in your area where you can get this board repaired, there are also several reputable people on this site that do fantastic work.

#16 7 years ago

Let me see what happens when I pull that fuse from my machine...

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I successfully change the bridges and caps on my buddies sttng. I should be okay.

Awesome! You should do fine then.

Quoted from Djshakes:

I resoldered the slingshot coil, I mirrored the one on the other side. Does it matter if those are flipped?

I don't believe any of these coils (other than flippers) have diodes on them so it should not matter.

#24 7 years ago

Ok so on your game spazing out ... This is hard to define, without knowing exactly what the machine is doing, like I mentioned before, it will be looking for balls since you essentially have no switch matrix; it will go through a ball locate program and fire coils turn on the cannons ... etc.

Quoted from LTG:

No, because all the rows would be showing up in error.

Very true, the software should be smart enough to realize that all the rows are bad and give you the "check F114 and F115 message"

As a rule of thumb, the first priority in any troubleshooting is to get your power supply voltages taken care of first, and then look into any other alarms. Since you know your BR1 is bad, let's get it squared away before delving in too deep on any other issues.

#26 7 years ago

I hate seeing stuff like that, It's hard to tell with all the flux residue but it doesn't look like they pulled off any of the pads. They should have did BR1 at the same time, if they did you probably wouldn't be where you are now

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I'm half tempted to shotgun this thing and do the caps as well.

I don't recommend that as you could end up inducing new problems into the mix. If you really want to do that I would suggest waiting until the machine is fully working, that way should there be a new problem introduced, you can limit it to what was just touched instead of not knowing if it existed before you messed with it.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I'll replace both even though one is new.

Good call, the concern here is you have no idea how hot the heat sink got before BR1 failed and this heat could have degraded BR2 since they share the same heatsink.

#30 7 years ago

While you are away replacing your BR's I did a little testing for you (this is one of my favorite things to do) I simulated a blown F114 as well as row 1 ground short. While F114 was removed, I was not able to see the ground short on row 1, as soon as the processor 12VR was restored by replacing F114 the ground short showed up.
IMG_1892 (resized).JPGIMG_1892 (resized).JPG
This ground short will prevent any further diagnostics but also makes me curious as to why you are not seeing the blown F114 F115 fuse message; after restoring your 12VR, please post a good picture of the bottom half of your MPU board, so I can see the board and connectors, then I'd like you to remove the row and column connectors to the playfield and turn the machine on, with no information coming back to the processor, it should tell you to check fuse F114 and F115 since it will not be receiving any information back from the switches, you may want to keep the coin door open so you dont have to listen to the continuous firing of coils.

#32 7 years ago

ohhhh....I just watched the video. I now know what you man by freaking out, the missing 12VR will not cause the problems from your video.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Note that the ROM (OS part of the ROM image, specifically) will ALSO give this message if it does not see the 'Always Closed' switch closed.
Not having your coin door interface board connected will cause this, since the 'Always Closed' switch (24, I believe?) is on the CDI.

The thing I'm not seeing here is as far as I can tell there is no message to check F114 and F115 even with a blown F114 ... maybe I'm just assuming that this message didn't show up and reading too much into whats not there...

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

If the caps have a slight bulge on top, very slight, should I replace while board is out.

If you are concerned with it, then go for it, since you have done this to your friends without any problems I have to assume you are technically competent to do so.

After you get this put back in, can you post pictures of the connections for your MPU, aux driver, and fliptronics boards?

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Hoping to get over to my buddies tonight

Any chance you can toss your MPU in his machine to verify its operating properly?

#51 7 years ago

I'm curious and have to ask, have you already tried swapping your STTNG MPU with your IJ? The reason I'm asking is that the MPU in your picture is from an IJ, not that this is going to matter.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I have not tried yet. Should I send you a picture of the one from my IJ? I bought the machines from the same individual.

not necessary ... purely curiosity on my part. Both of the MPU's (STTNG & IJ) are electronically the same, the only difference is U6, the game specific EPROM, and the Williams Part number decal.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Hope to have board back tomorrow.

Great, I'm look forward to helping you get this beast working!

Quoted from Djshakes:

I found these two switches disconnected. Anyone have a picture of what wires go to correct post?

Telling you what wires go on these will get these working; however, I rather show you how to figure out what wires go on these switches as you may run into several more of these questions as you work on this machine.

First, It helps if we know what the numbers of these two switches are, a lot of times you can tell by what they are named in your matrix; if this doesn't work, or you are not quite sure, then you turn to your SWITCH LOCATOR

switch location (resized).jpgswitch location (resized).jpg

The Switch locator page shows the switch in your first image as being switch #23 and the switch in the second picture as switch #83. This makes sense since they would close after successfully completing the middle and left ramp shots respectively.

Ok great, but this tells really doesn't tell you what the wires are; for that, we are going to look at the switch matrix. The one thing that you have to know about the matrix is that each switch in both the rows and columns are daisy chained to the next, this is how the computer can read 64 switches with just 16 wires (8 green, and 8 white). Lets take a look...

The Matrix (resized).jpgThe Matrix (resized).jpg

I highlighted row 3 in orange since this wire will be white with an orange stripe as shown in the matrix diagram. Column 2 is highlighted red since its wire is Green-Red. Hence the switch in column 2, row 3 (23) has a white-orange row wire, and a Green-Red column wire. These are your two wires for the switch.

Now that you know what wires should be on the switch, where do they go? Well the switch matrix diagram above also shows us this information at the very top of the image. The one thing thats taken for granted it it assumes you know the that a diode has a stripe on it to signify the cathode, which is the vertical line (stripe) on the schematic symbol for a diode. It shows the stripped (cathode) side of diode connected to a spot on the switch that is the same regardless of the switches position. This is called the Common side of the switch and will be identified by a "C" on most switches. What this tells us is that the stripped side of your diode should be connected to the switch Common as shown in the switch image, and this connection has no wires directly attached to it. The next thing this image shows us is that the green wire is connected to the normally open (NO) contact of the switch, this is determined since the switch is drawn open and the lead is connected to one of the 2 changing points. The image also shows that the white wires are connected to the anode side of the diode, although is doesn't specifically show that the white wires and diode connect to the normally closed (NC) side of the switch, its assumed since these must connect together at some point.

Switch (resized).jpgSwitch (resized).jpg

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

NO!! A bulge in the top of can type electros is perfectly OK. I would avoid needlessly replacing these as it is VERY VERY easy to pull the through hole vias - even for experienced techs.
The caps WILL NOT be your problem.

Again, this is hard to answer and is dependent on the skill and equipment of the tech. Would I replace a 20 year old buldging electrolytic? Sure I would, but I have the right equipment to pull the caps and while the part was out, if I had even the slightest concern about the board, I would install a solid copper eyelet in the thru-holes making this connection virtually unbreakable down the road

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I agree but my point to the OP was that the bulging is NOT a sign of the caps being faulty and that this will not be his problem in this instance.
Far too many of these have been "shotgun replaced" and caused too much damage.

I do agree with this and cautioned the OP that I would be hesitant to replace these until I knew I had a working machine as you could insert additional problems into the mix.

I try not to be directive in my assistance and prefer to simply provide advice and guidance towards the repair and leave the final decisions to the OPs, after all it's their machine and ultimately their decision to make.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Can someone verify that the yellow wire goes to the two greens on the other switch.

Yes.

1021 (resized).JPG1021 (resized).JPG

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Can someone verify that the yellow wire goes to the two greens on the other switch.

Yes, but, and it's a big butt. The switch on the right is not the correct switch, the switch should have three connections and a diode; if you simply connect the yellow wire to that switch itself will work fine, BUT you will induce a switch matrix problem in the game.

The switch matrix can be difficult to explain, this article does a good job of explaining it:
http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

Essentially what will end up happening is that when the any other column with a closed switch in row 1 (White-Brown) is pulsed by the MPU (driven low) AND your time switch is closed, you will also drive column 8 low, this low going signal will then pull all other rows with a closed switch in Column 8 low and be read as a closure of the corresponding switch in the active row.

Ok, I don't even understand what I just wrote.

I'm going to give a slightly different example using your matrix, and change the switch without the diode from the Time Switch to the RIFT Switch; what will happen is that whenever column 2 is pulsed (solid green line in diagram), row 2 will be pulled low since the coin door is closed (green dashed line); now lets say your ball hits both the time and rift targets at the same time (this happens a lot) the missing diode will allow the low row signal at switch 82 to drive column 8 low and pull row 1 low due to the closed Time Switch 81. Since row 1 is now low during column 2 time, the MPU reads this as closure of the Slam Tilt switch 21 and your game resets.

STTNG Switch Matrix error (resized).jpgSTTNG Switch Matrix error (resized).jpg

#78 7 years ago

I like seeing things are progressing well, I was actually wondering if your ground shorts were attributed to broken wires or bent switch contacts, looks like a couple of them probably were.

While you have the upper playfield taken apart, I like to suggest you give a little TLC to your Left Outer Loop optos (switch 44), It's likely these have never been cleaned due to their inaccessibility. I like to recommend just replacing this set since they are very important to the game (WARP ADVANCE) and the last thing you want is to have to rip half the game apart to replace them later.

375 (resized).JPG375 (resized).JPG

#80 7 years ago

Since I know there are several folks following this thread, and with how confusing the switch matrix can be I'm going to add some images to show what would happens with no diode in your TIME switch.

For the test setup I went ahead and jumpered out the TIME switch diode with a pair of mini grabbers. IMO, everyone should have these https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electronics-TL-21-Minigrabber-Test/dp/B0002JJU50/ref=sr_1_1

IMG_1895 (resized).JPGIMG_1895 (resized).JPG

Next I broke out my oscilloscope and set it up to monitor:
CH1 - Column 1
CH2 - Column 8
CH3 - Row 1
Ch4 - Row 2

This monitoring was done on my STTNG with all balls removed, in this state ALL optical switches will read as closed.

IMG_1898a (resized).jpgIMG_1898a (resized).jpg

Now lets take a peek at what the matrix looks like...In the image below you can see the timing pulse of both columns 1 (yellow) and 8 (teal) this is what a your normal column pulses should look like; these are normally a high going signals (10-12V) and get pulled low when the column is active, during this short period of time (<.000050 seconds) the CPU is reading all 8 rows and looking for low going signals, any low seen on the rows will signify a switch closure of the switch in the active column. As you can see in the image below, both rows 1 and 2 are high during both column 1 and column 8 times since there are no switches closed in either column. The numbers you see in the circles represent the switch numbers the CPU will read as active.

Normal (resized).pngNormal (resized).png

Now, let's see what happens when I hit the TIME switch on the playfield!

Bad Diode (resized).pngBad Diode (resized).png

WHOA! You can see the closure of TIME switch #81 on row 1, but look what just happened to our column 2 trigger pulses, we essentially enabled all the switches in columns 3, 4, and 6 to pull their corresponding row low at the wrong time! The reason for this is because every closed switch in row 1 will now drive its corresponding column low due to the failure of the diode in column 8, but only when the switch with the failed blocking diode is closed, this is what can make diagnosis of this problem so hard to troubleshoot.

#82 7 years ago

Yep, that's the one right there

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I noticed my subway has tape for repairs. I might buy a fiberglass kit to fix. That thing looks like a pain to get out.

Its not to bad, the worst part is you have to pull the three Vuk's as they sit on top of it, they all have thier own molex connector, so they should come right off, getting at the screws can be the toughest part. The entire subway assembly will then come out as one assembly, it also has its own molex connectors so no soldering involved. My subway had a fiberglass repair done to it when I purchased the game, and it seemed solid enough.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Are you sure these aren't the right targets? Better pic last one was deceiving.

oh, yeah those are the right switches, all you have to do is solder the yellow wire onto the Green-Grey pair, this will bring over the column signal to the other switch. WPC used solid yellow wires as jumpers all over, you will see lots of them on the GI circuits.

Quoted from Coyote:

Looking at the wire colors, White/Red, White/Brown and Green/Violet

I think that's just the lighting or the flash making the stripes look violet in color, wire colors can be difficult to read in pictures.

#92 7 years ago

Thanks Dj, much appreciated. I plan to continue the assistance until your game 100%

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I thought I would enter switch edge tests to see if they were flipped. None of the Cannon switches, right or left, register in switch edge test? Okay, strange

A little strange yes, what is happening here is that Williams didn't rewrite the diagnostic code for the switch matrix to include a ninth column of switches in the matrix, the switch column to the right of the 8th column are actually your flipper grounded switches (switch optos, E.O.S) just like they would be for any other game of this generation. This is all fine as they added the game specific menus to test these switches.

Quoted from Djshakes:

However, when the Cannon is in the home position (after I adjusted) the mark switch is activated. When swinging out the home switch is activated. My assumption is the previous owners "tech" didn't know what he was doing and swapped the wires.

Quoted from Djshakes:

I feel like the switch matrix shows different colors completely.

This would also be my assumption; however, the switches on the wires here are a little odd. In your second picture (home Switch) you show the row is white-black, this actually corresponds to none of the row wires, but is correct.

What was done here is the cannons were built as assemblies with meaning they they have a molex connector to disconnect them from the switch and solenoid harnesses, even though there is a left and right cannon assembly, the actual wiring harness for both assemblies is exactly the same, this makes them interchangeable.

Speculation: I imagine its also cheaper to purchase 30,000 of harness X then it would 15,000 harness X and 15,000 harness Y.

Where you will be able to tell if its wired properly is at the connector for the switch harness, you have one pin for the column and 1 for each of the 2 rows.

Cannon Connector 2 (resized).jpgCannon Connector 2 (resized).jpg

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

When you test your right cannon does the home switch trigger when the cannon is aligned with the wire ramp, or does the mark switch trigger?

Kind of a trick question ... keep in mind that both the left and right cannons work exactly the same.

When the cannon is aligned with wire ramp both switches should read closed, the home because this is its home point, and the mark because the cannon is in a non-firing position.

The Home switch has a very narrow close range which should be very close to top-of-stroke for the actuator arm, but not so close as the momentum will carry it past home when the motor drive is turned off. Should you align this dead perfect to top of stroke, the cannon will park perfectly, but during play it will always cycle out and back before the cannon will load.

The Mark switch has a broad range and should be open whenever the cannon has rotated into a safe firing position, alignment of this switch (or a small bend in the bracket that holds it) can cause issues by enabling the cannon to late to make your shot. So if you pull your trigger in the perfect spot and it doesn't fire, this is a possible issue.

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

My home switch triggers first on the return, then the Mark switch closes as it is aligned with the wire form when in cannon test mode.

That sure sounds backwards to me...they may have replaced the wire harness connector and reversed the pins. If this is the case, and if you have a pin extractor, it's a very easy fix. According to the matrix, the center connector wires for the switch harness side should be white-red (Left) and White-Blue (Right), while the end wires will be White-Violet (Left) and White-Green (Right).

Left Connector:

Left Cannon (resized).jpgLeft Cannon (resized).jpg

#102 7 years ago

Yikes, these are high voltage connectors >170VDC anode to cathode and are NOT interlocked by the coin door ... you really should never touch them with the power on.

That being said $#!+ happens ... let's just call it a learning experience. This is usually not a hard repair, but depends on what actually blew; the first thing that comes to mind is blown rectifier which is an easy fix. Fortunately there is an outstanding article on PinWIKI for troubleshooting this problem if you want to tackle it yourself. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Display_problems. You can probably just hop to the power issues section if you want to make some quick checks. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Testing_DMD_Controller_Power so we can see whats missing.

Optional: So the high voltage section of your Display Board is shot? Just pull out both the fuses and toss them in the box with your old plasma display and install the ColorDMD! This is the single best upgrade you can make to your STTNG, and since its powered by 12VDC you wont need that power sucking, heat generating section of the display board any longer. Please see http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-star-trek-the-next-generation-pinball-machine/ for more information

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Hoping it is the BRs.

Please take a look at the Can you see any physical damage to the board around the lower right side? you are going to test these similar to the way you checked the power board BR.

All checks with power off. You can limit your checks if you know what voltage you are missing; BR1 for +62V or BR2 for -125V

BR1
J605-1 to ground, J605-1 to C4 +
J605-2 to ground, J605-2 to C4 +

BR2
J605-3 to ground, J605-3 to C7 -
J605-5 to ground, J605-5 to C7 -

DMD Power (resized).jpgDMD Power (resized).jpg

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I'm thinking maybe the R11 resistor?

does it, or anything else looked burned? If not, I would measure the voltage on both sides of the resistor as a starting point.

#108 7 years ago

$5 for the repair kit, it pains me to say it but at that cost it's not a bad way to go for the price. I've actually done this before, since the machine was down anyway, I figured what the hell, I'll just replace it all and troubleshoot it later if it doesn't work...it worked. I would stick to the 62V side only though since the other voltages look good.

#119 7 years ago

It's coming along nice! I see you got your delta ramp protector, bumper caps, and new bands installed; your playfield appears to be in really nice shape, this could be a side benefit of buying a non-operational machine I'm sure you you cant wait to play it, and I'm looking forward to hear how that goes.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Having a couple issues. Sometimes when left Cannon is loaded ball completely jumps the wire form.

Quoted from Djshakes:

The solenoid seems powerful.

Things to check:
1: Make sure the play field slope isn't too steep and that it's level side to side.
2: Measure the coil resistance, this coil should be an AE-800 and measure 4.2 ohms (you never know if someone removed a few layers of windings or installed the wrong coil. I found one like this in my machine, the tech made it stronger by removing coil winding rather than fixing the actual problem
3: Check that the popper housing is tightly secured to the playfield

Quoted from Djshakes:

I may have to pull subway and clean all the optos. However, all worked properly in single switch test.

Fortunately you wont have to do this, you can remove all three pairs of optos without removing the subway. If you think it would be easier, you can remove the entire subway wiring harness fairly easily, there is one coil connector and one switch connector; if you do this, the only spot you will have difficulty is the coil wires, probably easiest to just remove the coil brackets and pull the harness with the two coils attached.

Subway (resized).jpgSubway (resized).jpg

The ball search you describe shouldn't occur with just a failed/intermittent subway opto alone, as the ball should be seen by optos in the VUK that its fed to, the problem you are describing sounds more like a VUK opto problem. A good check to do is to remove all the balls from the game, with no balls installed, all 23 of the optical switches should read closed, if one doesn't its not working.

Another good check you can do for the VUK's is to load 4 balls, one at a time, into any of the subway holes while monitoring your switch edge test. Since the subway coils will be de-energised all the balls will lead to the Left lock, this VUK has four optos and you should see them sequentially close as the balls pass by the optos, then read open where each ball is sitting. So after loading all 4 balls, switches 35, 41, 42, and 43 should have all changed from closed to open.

A working STTNG matrix with no balls installed should look like image below, the light green switches may or may not be closed depending on the drop target position and the if the coin door is open, but you are primarily concerned with status of the optical switches in columns 3, 4, and 6.

STTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpgSTTNG Switch Matrix-no balls (resized).jpg

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The ball search you describe shouldn't occur with just a failed/intermittent subway opto alone, as the ball should be seen by optos in the VUK that its fed to, the problem you are describing sounds more like a VUK opto problem.

There is another possibility I touched on near the start of this topic that can also cause this issue, although the problem I'm about to describe normally shows up as a continuous cycling of balls at the end of a game.

If the subway diverters still have the original factory grease on them, this grease will now be hardened and applying additional friction to the diverter shaft, rather than reducing it. If this happens, the spring release may not have the required energy needed to fully operate the diverter and leave it in a position that will actually catch a ball between the diverter arm and subway side wall causing you to have a lost ball. Later during your play, another ball comes down the subway striking the first and forcing the diverter open enough to allow both balls to pass to the VUK, the VUK would then send not one, but both balls back into play as the game knows how many balls should be in the lock.

This is easy enough to check for, just manually turn the subway diverters and then leg go, if they don't snap right back to their full de-energized positions, then you will need to address this.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from Tripin:

Quoted from wxforecaster:
FYI, both cannons do not necessarily cycle in boot up. Had mine for years with no issues and had this behavior.
I've noticed the same with mine. Interestingly, both cannons used to cycle at startup, but at some point the right stopped and hasn't for quite some time. Still works fine, though.

Interestingly enough, when I power on my game both cannons cycle; however on a game reset, like leaving the maintenance menus, only the left cannon cycles; but, on a slam tilt reset, only the right cannon cycles.

#135 7 years ago

Try not to beat yourself up to bad over it, the game is looking great!

There could be a loose connection causing issues with the optos; intermittent problems can be tough to lock down, but one thing you can try for the mission start/ball search problem is to open the door when the ball search happens, read all the Switches from switch test to try and figure out which one is having the issue.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Should I be concerned I got different numbers than you on the four ball subway test?

Nope, yours are correct, I had one of the switch numbers listed wrong and went back and corrected it

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Trigger is really mushy, might be missing a spring.

All I did to mine was took it apart and cleaned it real good and it was much happier after that. It seems like there was some kind of greasy gunk in mine, all I did was clean it real good and put it back. I have no pictures of it apart

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Need to add rubber behind targets next to ramps to cut out airballs.

I also get a lot of air balls off mine as well, but as I recall this title was known for that, especially on the Beta Ramp targets, couple that with having a clean and waxed play field, and it's even harder to avoid, I just decided to accept it.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Figured it would cost me a minimum of $50 to repair plus $20 in shipping both ways.

That's a fairly close estimate, I would charge $50 just to look at it plus parts/labor to fix it, my guess is you would be in for more than the cost of the Rottendog board no matter who fixes it. Just the nature of the beast these days.

#152 7 years ago

Glad to hear you are nearly 100%. It will be nice to have a spare when you get you get your original board back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
$ 85.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
$ 63.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 64.99
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100-sttng-fix-me-challenge-experienced-techs-only?tu=pin_guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.