(Topic ID: 181821)

$100 Stern Playboy "Fix It" Challenge - Experienced Tech Help Needed!

By xeneize

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

connector (resized).jpg
relay (resized).jpg
Cabinet (resized).jpg
J11 (resized).jpg
PS (resized).png
20170223_175252 (resized).jpg
20170223_175231 (resized).jpg
IMG_0674 (resized).JPG
20170220_124150 (resized).jpg
20170220_123028 (resized).jpg
20170220_131724 (resized).jpg
20170220_131700 (resized).jpg
20170220_131649_001 (resized).jpg
20170220_131601 (resized).jpg
20170220_131700 (resized).jpg
20170220_131724 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

the transistor had always tested "good"

You can't accurately test a mosfet in-circuit.

Quoted from xeneize:

A) if the coil I just pulled out was bad, is it normal that it would still fire at all?
B) if something somewhere either in the playfield wiring or on the board is destroying coils, what would that be?

We're really talking more about the diode than the coil. If the diode was shorted then the coil would still work but you would get high voltage feedback to the board, which could cause a reset or other problems. The most common reason for a diode getting blown on a coil is being installed backwards or the driver transistor locks on.

1 month later
#53 7 years ago

You really need to monitor the 5V while you're playing the game. If that's the problem it's likely only dropping under load. You will need a decent meter to catch any fluctuations since they'll be pretty fast.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Where do you recommend I clip my leads to get the most accurate reading during gameplay?

Should be a test point on the mpu.

1 month later
#62 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

pins 2& 3 should be 48VAC. When I test them, I am only getting about 26VAC. On pin 1, I am only seeing 3VAC, instead of 24VAC. Why would this be? A fault in the transformer?

Are you putting one lead on pin 2 and the other on pin 3?

To check the 24vac you want one lead on pin 1 and the other on pin 2. Then one lead on pin 1 and the other lead on pin 3.

Make sure all of the coils have diodes installed and the diodes test good.

1 week later
#66 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

always open to hear WHY that is the correct process

In a DC circuit you have a positive and ground so readings can always be referenced to ground. In an AC circuit you have hot, neutral and ground. To get a proper reading you want to check from hot to neutral. Just the way AC works vs DC, current flows in one direction in an DC circuit and is bi-directional in an AC circuit.

Quoted from xeneize:

On pin 1 (YEL-BLK), I still only get 3VAC instead of 24V - is there a secret to testing that one?

Not sure how you're taking this reading. If pin 1 to pin 2 is 24v and pin 1 to pin 3 is 24v they you're good. If you want to see the 48v then put one lead on pin 2 and one lead on pin 3.

4 weeks later
#79 6 years ago

It's extremely unlikely it's the transformer. Just like coils they work or they don't.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Richmond, KY
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100-stern-playboy-fix-it-challenge-experienced-tech-help-needed?tu=terryb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.