(Topic ID: 181821)

$100 Stern Playboy "Fix It" Challenge - Experienced Tech Help Needed!

By xeneize

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

connector (resized).jpg
relay (resized).jpg
Cabinet (resized).jpg
J11 (resized).jpg
PS (resized).png
20170223_175252 (resized).jpg
20170223_175231 (resized).jpg
IMG_0674 (resized).JPG
20170220_124150 (resized).jpg
20170220_123028 (resized).jpg
20170220_131724 (resized).jpg
20170220_131700 (resized).jpg
20170220_131649_001 (resized).jpg
20170220_131601 (resized).jpg
20170220_131700 (resized).jpg
20170220_131724 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Insane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Finally figured out the left curtain issue!
After verifying power to the coil, verfiying connectivity to the header pin, checking both the coil and the diode for power and orientation, then swapping them out, and then disassembling the mech and reassembling, I was still stumped. The right hand side had always worked and would pull back "most" of the bead strands on the right, but not all of them. I chalked it up to being a poorly designed gimmick.
After exhausting all other ideas, I just held a magnet up to the beads - and guess what - 7 of the 10 of them didn't budge. For whatever reason, the majority of the beads weren't ferrous. I had a fresh set on hand to install once everything was cleaned up - purely for cosmetic purposes. Set a magnet next to those, and they all respond. So, there you have it - sometimes the answer is a simple one and the least likely to be suspected.
Now, if I can manage to conquer the reset issue - once and for all - this game will actually be 100% again.

congrats on that fix, and fingers crossed that you have the other one fixed as well.

1 month later
#57 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

cadillacmusic

I concur. Last night I did more testing and it definitely only happens when more than one coil is activated. The factory spec autolaunch coil was most likely triggering it by itself as it is the most powerful coil in the machine.

Game had been in a fire, but the boards were replaced with new, factory boards by the previous owner. All of the female connector pins have been replaced. I can measure the voltage at the chip in question - are you referring to U-218? Is there a leg in particular where I should measure, or just put one lead to ground and use the other to probe all legs.
terryb

I do have a Fluke DMM so I should have an adequate tool. Where do you recommend I clip my leads to get the most accurate reading during gameplay?
Thanks, guys!

I have a similar issue on my Rocky and Bullwinkle when I get multiball, or a bunch of stuff happening, I lose my DMD animations. I know that the DE boardset is similar to the Williams. Maybe that is my issue as well. Good luck.

3 months later
#85 6 years ago

Congrats on getting it stable, I wish i could have offered advice on the fix, unfortunately, i didn't have anything useful to contribute.

#87 6 years ago

I know it will. Just make sure you post some pics when you get it done. I've been following this machine for a while, I also thought seriously about buying it when it came up for sale when you bought it, but decided at the time I didn't need another project.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Insane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100-stern-playboy-fix-it-challenge-experienced-tech-help-needed?tu=Insane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.