(Topic ID: 181821)

$100 Stern Playboy "Fix It" Challenge - Experienced Tech Help Needed!

By xeneize

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

connector (resized).jpg
relay (resized).jpg
Cabinet (resized).jpg
J11 (resized).jpg
PS (resized).png
20170223_175252 (resized).jpg
20170223_175231 (resized).jpg
IMG_0674 (resized).JPG
20170220_124150 (resized).jpg
20170220_123028 (resized).jpg
20170220_131724 (resized).jpg
20170220_131700 (resized).jpg
20170220_131649_001 (resized).jpg
20170220_131601 (resized).jpg
20170220_131700 (resized).jpg
20170220_131724 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CadillacMusic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago

Yeah, clearly a power board issue. Could even be an mpu issue. But it's head trouble in any case. The question is, is it resetting due to voltage drop, or noise on the reset line? There's an alteration made on most whitestar CPU boards, but not all. What's your u413 look like? There's a leg you can cut for a higher power variation tolerance. Picture in a minute...

For the curtain, it's probably pretty simple. Just a blown transistor, happens all the time.

#17 7 years ago

Whoops, wrong location. It's U218 on the early style. But see how this leg is cut? Check and see if yours is.

IMG_0674 (resized).JPGIMG_0674 (resized).JPG

#18 7 years ago

That being said, I don't think it's a voltage thing, looking at the schematics. The drop target is driven by a different, lower power line. So we've narrowed it to something on the reset line. And wouldn't you know it, u1 on the power board has access to the reset line. It's not a huge deal to socket that, so replacing that chip would be my first line of attack.

#21 7 years ago

Ah, you are correct. I misread them as the drop target being on the brown line. It's still pointing towards the chip in my view, as the drop target only triggers it when hooked to that line.

2 weeks later
#29 7 years ago

I'm still with replacing u1. If it was a power issue, it'd be doing it with other coils.

#31 7 years ago

Well, I'd see if the reset line, pin 1, changes when you fire the auto launch. But to be honest, that would happen no matter what. Because either the reset line is getting bad feedback from that chip (it should just be reading that line, not outputting to it), or the voltage is dropping low enough to make the watchdog send a reset signal. The issue is that a whole bunch of chips touch the reset line. But only that chip touches the reset line and specifically deals with firing that solenoid. I just think it's the best choice. Here's my process of thoughts:

Okay, game resets when a coil is fired. But it's not that coil, because it does it when any coil is hooked to the line. No other coils on that power source trigger it. That means 99% it's not wiring and it's not the coil. That leaves the head. You've tested the transistors and they're fine. What is behind those in the schematic? Small caps and resistors. Unlikely to fail, and even more unlikely to fail in a way that causes resets. So what's behind that? U1, and it has direct access to the reset line. It's where I would look next. But there's no way to really tell. I guess you could cut pin 1, and see what happens, as you're gonna change it anyways. But it might kill the firing of all those solenoids. I don't know why it reads the reset line in the first place.

1 week later
#34 7 years ago

What's the drop target status when you switch with the auto launch? Up or down? Because if it's down, it may be trying to pop up the drop target at startup, and thus firing the autolaunch over and over.

#38 7 years ago

I was under the impression that you changed the transistor and the coil at the same time. If not, you may have fried the diode on your current coil. Try putting on a new one. Remember, banded side goes toward the power source.

Edit: and yes, you may have fried your coil. http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html has a list of proper ohms, I think. If not, it may be on the page for that coil at marcospecialties.

1 month later
#52 6 years ago

Now that more than one coil triggers it, and ball search always does, that really points to a low 5 volts. I know you're measuring it on the power board, but it's the CPU board voltage that's the problem. Either something is wrong with the plug/pins that power the CPU, or there's a bad component on the sound and CPU board. I'm guessing the plug myself, as the game had been in a fire, correct? It's the voltage that is getting to that little chip I had you look at earlier that's important. It can be fine on the power board but very low by the time it makes it to that chip. Are the plugs corroded or brown in any way?

#56 6 years ago

Yes, u218. Pin 8 is vcc. I'd measure there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CadillacMusic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100-stern-playboy-fix-it-challenge-experienced-tech-help-needed?tu=CadillacMusic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.