New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 50840)

100 pins setup in downtown Toronto today May 16

By cdnpinballer

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pin1.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    20130516-Tommy-Pinball-at-First-Canadi.jpg
    20130516-Tommy-Pinball-at-First-Canadi.jpg
    chrisrobin.jpeg
    fcp3.png
    FCP2.JPG
    FCP1.JPG

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

To promote a new "Tommy" play at the Stratford Festival in Stratford, Ontario.

These pins are setup in the First Canadian Place (Bank of Montreal tower) in Downtown Toronto. A buddy of mine was there this morning and snapped these couple pics.

FCP1.JPG

#2 7 years ago

Another pic. Lots of Metallica pro's

FCP2.JPG

#3 7 years ago

Why did I have to move to BC?! Damn it!!

#4 7 years ago

that is a lot of metallicas to update. looks awesome though.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

wow. Nice to see the pins out in force and especially newer games being marketed. Impressive seeing that row of Metallica's.

#6 7 years ago

where are all the players?

#7 7 years ago

I never even got a set of steak knives from my bank.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

I never even got a set of steak knives from my bank.

you get a pin for signing up for a checking account!

where is the row of WOZ?

#9 7 years ago

These pics were taken first thing this morning when they were still setting up. Evidently there are all kinds of people playing the pins now.

#10 7 years ago

The pins have nothing to do with Bank of Montreal. Their office tower main floor is being used as the venue for this marketing promo event for the Stratford Festival.

#11 7 years ago

That is awesome! Love it, is there a news article somewhere about this, I'd love to send it out to some friends.

#12 7 years ago

Where the players at?

#13 7 years ago

Look 3 posts above, kwiki

#14 7 years ago

Who owns all these games?

#15 7 years ago

I believe it's a Canadian distributer who has some insane majority of all the pinball business in Canada.

#16 7 years ago

Out west it would be SML, not sure about back east.

#17 7 years ago

Are they going to be there next week? I'm in Toronto for a few days

#18 7 years ago

It's gotta be Playdium/Starburst. Couldn't imagine anyone else having a dozen or more Metallica's. Even Jim Pattison isn't that insane.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

I believe it's a Canadian distributer who has some insane majority of all the pinball business in Canada.

It would have to be. That many nice looking expensive pins don't just "appear" without a lot of coordination and $$$$

#20 7 years ago

wtf would they want so many metallica's set up?

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

36 of them.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from kungfucop:

It's gotta be Playdium/Starburst. Couldn't imagine anyone else having a dozen or more Metallica's. Even Jim Pattison isn't that insane.

36 of them.. 2 rows of 12 forward facing and then another row of 12 rear facing of the first row.

#24 7 years ago

The pins all come from Cineplex Starburst.

They control all new sales of Stern pins in Canada. There are other 'distributors' in Canada but those distributors have to buy the pins from Cineplex Starburst.

From what I understand this is only a one day event.

This is really huge for pinball exposure in Canada in general (IMO) because having 100 pins setup to play in arguably the country's most desirable piece of commercial real estate is astounding.

The building is a 70+ story landmark structure.

fcp3.png

#25 7 years ago

My wife and I went, representing the pinside!

it got packed shoulder to shoulder. a great piece of PR for the show producers and a huge accomplishment for Starburst. I don't think there's another distributor that could do something like this.

Tons of women and children playing, way more women than you would see at any normal pinball show. So it was a great success.

chrisrobin.jpeg

#26 7 years ago

Awesome job Starburst! I'm sure a sale or two will come out of this

#27 7 years ago

found a couple more pics. there should be plenty to come.

20130516-Tommy-Pinball-at-First-Canadi.jpg 20130516-Tommy-Pinball-at-First-Canadi.jpg

They kept saying they were going to set some Guinness World Record.... I'm thinking "Most Women Playing Pinball" .

#28 7 years ago

The ultimate free play. Great photos. I wanted to go, but had to work.
    Nice to see a picture of Chris to put a face to a name.

#29 7 years ago

Are these for sale there? Odd they have the many metallicas for play? Will they all be resold as new or what?

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

Are these for sale there? Odd they have the many metallicas for play? Will they all be resold as new or what?

I sure hope they aren't sold as new. I question why so many? Taking depreciation from nib to open on 36 pins seems odd? Even if its only 200 a game that's 7200 bucks.

#31 7 years ago

36? That's more than WOZ has shipped in 2+ weeks. I kid I kid.

#32 7 years ago

HOLY #@%&! I would love to stumble across something like this!

Great pics

#33 7 years ago

Look at all the women playing Metallica ! Must be a chick pin.

#34 7 years ago

HOLY #@%&! I would love to stumble across something like this!

Great pics

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Look at all the women playing Metallica ! Must be a chick pin.

Guess it's one I should get for my collection

#36 7 years ago

Looks like standing room only

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I sure hope they aren't sold as new. I question why so many? Taking depreciation from nib to open on 36 pins seems odd? Even if its only 200 a game that's 7200 bucks.

Apparently the promoter for the show paid for it. They must have paid a lot of money because I heard starburst was taking games from all over the place to get them there. A couple of hundred off each game is probably about right. In the end it will be all over the local and perhaps national news broadcasts and all over the newspapers I will bet. If they paid $30,000 to do this it would be the cheapest advertising they could get. A 30 second spot on all the TV stations around news hour...priceless.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hitch9:

Apparently the promoter for the show paid for it. They must have paid a lot of money because I heard starburst was taking games from all over the place to get them there. A couple of hundred off each game is probably about right. In the end it will be all over the local and perhaps national news broadcasts and all over the newspapers I will bet. If they paid $30,000 to do this it would be the cheapest advertising they could get. A 30 second spot on all the TV stations around news hour...priceless.

Suppose so still seems odd to me they needed that many metallicas, couldn't they just have 5 or so and have 30 other pins rounded up that won't immediately lose value being used on a location and still get coverage for so many pins?
    I guess if it's a big company throwing this doo their not fussed and don't think like that. I'd love for this to be in my home town

#39 7 years ago

I snapped a couple pics from the 2nd floor on my way home from work.
    Great turnout in my opinion.
    Starburst is owned by Cineplex so I suspect they opened the Metallica pins that will be in theatres on route anyway. Still, the effort required must have been nuts.
    It's gonna be sad getting to work tomorrow and seeing the empty lobby!
    : )

Well done Starburst!

IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0070.jpg

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Starburst is owned by Cineplex so I suspect they opened the Metallica pins that will be in theatres on route anyway

Good call. Why was it roped off?

#41 7 years ago

does this mean metallica doesn't have as many issues out of the box?

#42 7 years ago

Bah I hope this is more than one day so I can get down there this weekend. I mean common it's the long weekend!

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

....I'm thinking "Most Women Playing Pinball" .

or the most metallica pins in one place.

#45 7 years ago

Is this why my Pro hasn't shown up yet? These guys have all of them...

#46 7 years ago

Video from today:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2013/05/16/pinball_world_record.html

This was in every local paper and tv news, so a huge PR day for pinball (promoting the play). Considering most people are surprised they still make pinball. Hats off to the organizers that made it happen.

#47 7 years ago

Quite bummed I was out of town for this! Thx for the photos and vid!

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from brad808:

Bah I hope this is more than one day so I can get down there this weekend. I mean common it's the long weekend!

1 day only my friend -sorry.
    They would never hold this through a weekend as the downtown financial area is pretty dead. At least the buildings are. Most of the stores are closed on the weekend in that complex/building as well. When the workers go home, the place is dead.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from DEWSHO:

Good call. Why was it roped off?

The only reason that comes to mind is that you enter on one end, then they're at the desk at the other end, trying to sell you tickets for the musical Tommy.

#50 7 years ago

I don't know who paid for what or how much this costs but from what I can tell this is a great PR move for the Stratford Festival putting on the Tommy production and for Cineplex Starburst. This also gets a lot of exposure for pinball in general and we can all appreciate that.

Apparently all the pins were on free play and the area was roped off because you had to 'sign up' to play. Likely to consent to your e-mail being added to the festival and or starburst e-mail newsletters / direct marketing efforts but I don't know for sure since I was not there in person. Wish I was!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 6,295.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 55.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    $ 76.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside