Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hey gang, I am trying to stock back up on my Bally Repin supplies and I am having a hard time locating the following .100 connectors.
    28 pin
    25 pin
    23 pin
    19 pin
    17 pin
    15 pin

Since GPE closed up, they are difficult to find. I have spent a while digging through Mouser and DigiKey. Even thought I had everything ordered. Until it got here as was not for the style crimp connectors we use.

Does anyone have links to those connectors or a source for them?

Thanks!

#3 1 year ago

For anything Molex, I lookup the exact part number on the Molex site, which is incredibly comprehensive, including detailed drawings, specs, etc. even for their obsolete parts.

https://www.molex.com/molex/product-search/products.action

Once I have the correct Molex part number, it's a simple Google search for suppliers. Otherwise, if you already have a favorite electronics supplier, just punch the Molex number into their search box.

#5 1 year ago

You can get the cut to size long mating length headers pins at LCSC.

For the obsolete housings I will super glue two smaller ones together. Rough up the edges and then clamp overnight. I've got some with many miles that didn't break apart yet.

TTI almost always has the best price on molex branded stuff like the crimps. Might be a high MOQ for something like a housing, but best place to get the crimps.
    These are the better tin plated phosphorous bronze ones.
    https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-detail.html?partsNumber=08-52-0123&mfgShortname=MOL&customerPartNumber=&minQty=100&customerId=

#6 1 year ago

You can get 28 pin housings from PBR. Cut to size as needed

#7 1 year ago

Pinball Resource has 12 and 28 housings cheap.

Bob Roberts has a variety of sizes but they’re expensive.
    http://www.therealbobroberts.net/conectas.html

Try Ebay?

I’m interested in answers as well as I have several Bally and Classic Sterns i’d Like to upgrade the old components on.

#8 1 year ago

rockwell Any suggestions?

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Can you provide a link? Thanks.

#10 1 year ago

You can order the 28 position .100" housings from LCSC for $0.6285 each, or $0.2371 each if you buy 250+. Check to make sure that I selected the correct item, 254 series molex kk housings.
    https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Rectangular-Connectors-Housings_MOLEX-22012185_C586967.html

You can order 2-16, 20 and 28 position housings.
    https://www.lcsc.com/products/Rectangular-Connectors-Housings_11067.html?keyword=Connectors%7CRectangular%20Connectors%20Housings

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

You can order the 28 position .100" housings from LCSC for $0.6285 each, or $0.2371 each if you buy 250+.

Zero currently in stock but interesting that they list them.

Quoted from barakandl:

For the obsolete housings I will super glue two smaller ones together. Rough up the edges and then clamp overnight. I've got some with many miles that didn't break apart yet.

I've had great success doing this aswell, only my small housings need the be filed down a bit on the mating edges to reduce the gap spacing between those two pin holes.

Quoted from barakandl:

I also use the LCSC 40 pin headers and cut to size, they're so damn cheap

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Quench:

I also use the LCSC 40 pin headers and cut to size, they're so damn cheap

Do you happen to have a link? I am not finding the 40 pin.

Thanks for these, this is great!

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

Do you happen to have a link? I am not finding the 40 pin.

See post #11 above.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Quench:

See post #11 above.

Yea, I was seeing header, but thinking connector housing.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

Yea, I was seeing header, but thinking connector housing.

I’m looking for the same thing, the .100 plastic housings in stock somewhere in multiple sizes.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Any chance you can add the link for the .156" header pins from the same site?

Can't find them on LCSC. I pay too damn much for the cut to size headers Molex ones. If anyone knows, provide a link. I feel like I've seen cut to size 1.56" headers on a board that where not molex.

ADAM TECH sometimes has no locking headers for cheap on Arrow. You can cut them up, even though they are not intended to be . I can never find much stock of them. I usually empty out arrow whenever I see some I commonly use.

Here are the molex ones on TTI
    https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-detail.html?partsNumber=26-48-1241

Tayda has housings, but not bigger than 14P. The same housings are probably cheaper on LCSC but I don't feel like sorting categories to find them right now.
    https://www.taydaelectronics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=housing+2.54mm

#19 1 year ago

In the past, I have purchased 0.100" housings up to 20 pins from the below AliExpress seller.
    However I did contact them first about buying the housings in bulk for better pricing which they did but they still weren't particularly cheap. My last order was four years ago.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012084519.html

#20 1 year ago

What is the correct height pins for .100 molex headers for bally / stern boards? I picked some up from tayda a while back and the acutal pins are a little short in height. They still work but I would like to find the longer ones.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

What is the correct height pins for .100 molex headers for bally / stern boards? I picked some up from tayda a while back and the acutal pins are a little short in height. They still work but I would like to find the longer ones.

The original height of the Molex 0.100" exposed pins are about 7.5mm
    The Molex breakaway pin headers you buy nowadays are about 8.13mm height.
    The very common 'gold' plated Dupont style pin headers you find on ebay - etc, are about 6.1mm in height and don't provide much grab length.
    The ones we've mentioned above from LCSC are about 9.5mm and work fine - extra height is no issue.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Quench:

In the past, I have purchased 0.100" housings up to 20 pins from the below AliExpress seller.
    However I did contact them first about buying the housings in bulk for better pricing which they did but they still weren't particularly cheap. My last order was four years ago.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012084519.html

Man, at those prices... It might be time to buy a 3D printer and start printing my own housings!

#24 1 year ago

I found those. I didn’t see any 1.56” (3.96mm) housings. This forum is a good example of how we all miss the one stop shopping at Great Plains.

#25 1 year ago

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/wafer-housing-crimp-terminal/serie-2400-3-96mm.html

Only up to size 10. I previously had tried the trim, glue, and marry method to make bigger ones and it’s doable with these but it’s quite a bit of work for an ugly connector.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

Man, at those prices... It might be time to buy a 3D printer and start printing my own housings!

Indeed, not cheap (especially considering it's AliExpress) but I needed them. My last order in 2019 I roughly paid:
    60x 19 pin 0.100" housing = $24.50
    35x 17 pin 0.100" housing = $10.60
    40x 16 pin 0.100" housing = $15.60
    40x 15 pin 0.100" housing = $14.75

#27 1 year ago

For locking headers in 1.56". These are good, and what is used boards I make. I prefer this style much over some of the other locking ones.

https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Wire-To-Board-Wire-To-Wire-Connector_BOOMELE-Boom-Precision-Elec-CH3-96-9A_C10586.html

The part number is CH3.96-XA

Where x = pin count (2-12). CH3.96-9A for nine pin

For matching housing change the A suffix letter to a Y. Search LCSC CH3.96-8Y for eight pin housing.

I usually go with Molex brand crimps, but same company makes them.
    https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Line-Pressing-Terminals_BOOMELE-Boom-Precision-Elec-CH3-96-T_C16992.html

For locking headers in 0.100"
    https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Wire-To-Board-Wire-To-Wire-Connector_BOOMELE-Boom-Precision-Elec-2510-10A_C30169.html

2510-XA is the part number where X = pin count.

I've used thousands and thousands of these. Good parts.

*edit* this datasheet has part numbers for 0.100" housing in them you can search for on LCSC. Says they make up to 20pin. They say they crimps are tin plated phosphorus bronze which is the same material the molex ones are made from.
    https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/1810312320_BOOMELE-Boom-Precision-Elec-2510-10A_C30169.pdf

#28 1 year ago

This is all awesome info! thank you all!

#29 1 year ago

For plugs -- the generic "2500 Series" connectors (2.54mm / 0.1") only goes up to 25 pins. Most sources have the tooling but don't stock 21 through 25-pin versions, these are usually special ordered.
    For 28-pin connectors - myself and another seller paid to have custom tooling created to make the 28-pin plugs. The fee for custom tooling is why the 28-pin plugs cost considerably more than the smaller sizes. PBR has a huge quantity of 28-pin plugs so he's a good source for them. I still have about 9000 of them left but these are destined to be sold with the rest of the business.

For these plugs as genuine Molex parts - the part number is 22-01-2xxy
    "xx" = number of pins. 02 = 2-pin, 03 = 3-pin.... 28 = 28-pin.
    But Molex now only makes 2 thru 16-pin plugs.
    "y" = lock/polarization style
    1 = No locking Ramp, No polarizing ribs
    5 = Has both locking ramp and polarizing ribs
    7 = Has locking ramp, no polarizing ribs
    For pinball - the optimum style is "7". Can be used with or without a locking type header.

So a 16-pin Molex = 22-01-2167 but a 22-01-2165 or 22-01-2161 would also work.
    There is a similar part series from Molex -- 22-01-3xxy. Essentially the same connector but the last digit for lock/polarization style is different.

The LCSC connector link posted above does not go to a 28-pin plug but goes to an 18-pin plug instead.

Swinks mentioned the way to go for many of the obsolete connectors -- 3D printed. There was somebody (maybe Swinks?) that recreated the nearly impossible to find edge connectors for Gottliebs.

Header lengths -- Molex plugs were intended to work with 0.320" (8.13mm) mating post length IF you are not using a locking header. An example of this would be Molex 22-28-4361. There are many pin lengths out there (e.g. Molex 22-28-4360 with pin length of 0.24") they will work but are a bit too short and the connector doesn't fit real solid. If you are using a locking type header with friction lock plugs then you can go down to the 0.240" mating post length.
    i used to sell custom made 0.320"/8.13mm headers but the 9.5mm headers mentioned above would work just fine. If possible, should order them with tin plating and not gold flashed.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

For plugs --

This is a goldmine of information! Thank you good sir! We sure all miss you and your site!

#31 1 year ago

I have found that in most cases the original housings are perfectly fine it’s the pins that are the issue. I simply remove the pin with an extractor replace the pin reinsert done.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

I have found that in most cases the original housings are perfectly fine it’s the pins that are the issue. I simply remove the pin with an extractor replace the pin reinsert done.

A LOT of Bally's had the punchdown style connectors. On those, you need new connectors.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

For plugs -- the generic "2500 Series" connectors (2.54mm / 0.1") only goes up to 25 pins. Most sources have the tooling but don't stock 21 through 25-pin versions, these are usually special ordered.
    For 28-pin connectors - myself and another seller paid to have custom tooling created to make the 28-pin plugs. The fee for custom tooling is why the 28-pin plugs cost considerably more than the smaller sizes. PBR has a huge quantity of 28-pin plugs so he's a good source for them. I still have about 9000 of them left but these are destined to be sold with the rest of the business.
    For these plugs as genuine Molex parts - the part number is 22-01-2xxy
    "xx" = number of pins. 02 = 2-pin, 03 = 3-pin.... 28 = 28-pin.
    But Molex now only makes 2 thru 16-pin plugs.
    "y" = lock/polarization style
    1 = No locking Ramp, No polarizing ribs
    5 = Has both locking ramp and polarizing ribs
    7 = Has locking ramp, no polarizing ribs
    For pinball - the optimum style is "7". Can be used with or without a locking type header.
    So a 16-pin Molex = 22-01-2167 but a 22-01-2165 or 22-01-2161 would also work.
    There is a similar part series from Molex -- 22-01-3xxy. Essentially the same connector but the last digit for lock/polarization style is different.
    The LCSC connector link posted above does not go to a 28-pin plug but goes to an 18-pin plug instead.
    Swinks mentioned the way to go for many of the obsolete connectors -- 3D printed. There was somebody (maybe Swinks?) that recreated the nearly impossible to find edge connectors for Gottliebs.
    Header lengths -- Molex plugs were intended to work with 0.320" (8.13mm) mating post length IF you are not using a locking header. An example of this would be Molex 22-28-4361. There are many pin lengths out there (e.g. Molex 22-28-4360 with pin length of 0.24") they will work but are a bit too short and the connector doesn't fit real solid. If you are using a locking type header with friction lock plugs then you can go down to the 0.240" mating post length.
    i used to sell custom made 0.320"/8.13mm headers but the 9.5mm headers mentioned above would work just fine. If possible, should order them with tin plating and not gold flashed.

Any news on the business selling. ??

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100-molex-connectors-where-to-find and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.