JJ (resized).jpg
20170208_160325 (resized).jpg
20170208_160332 (resized).jpg
20170208_160340 (resized).jpg
20170208_160345 (resized).jpg
20170208_160355 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

well.

$100 and 350 miles later I'm an owner of a Gottlieb Jumping Jack! It cane from a little town called Clam Gulch, population ~ 150 people.

Line cable is broken (no plug on the end) and I was told it worked until it broke off. I guess we'll see what I get!

The owner had it in his shop for 5 years before deciding to part with it. He said it was in a bar in WA (or CA, I can't remember now) and that when they decided they didn't want it any more they had a contest one night and whoever got the high score could take it home. His brother won it apparently. Pretty neat little backstory.

For $100 I'm rather pleased

20170208_160355 (resized).jpg20170208_160355 (resized).jpg

20170208_160345 (resized).jpg20170208_160345 (resized).jpg

20170208_160340 (resized).jpg20170208_160340 (resized).jpg

20170208_160332 (resized).jpg20170208_160332 (resized).jpg

20170208_160325 (resized).jpg20170208_160325 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Damn, that looks good. Always wanted to play one of those. Good luck !

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

well.
$100 and 350 miles later I'm an owner of a Gottlieb Jumping Jack! It cane from a little town called Clam Gulch, population ~ 150 people.
Line cable is broken (no plug on the end) and I was told it worked until it broke off. I guess we'll see what I get!
The owner had it in his shop for 5 years before deciding to part with it. He said it was in a bar in WA (or CA, I can't remember now) and that when they decided they didn't want it any more they had a contest one night and whoever got the high score could take it home. His brother won it apparently. Pretty neat little backstory.
For $100 I'm rather pleased

looks like a great buy at a 100. JitB and JJ are my favorite bg art
i bet it is slim pickings in your neck of the woods, so you take what you can when you can

#4 7 years ago

Great score on a fantastic game. Congrats!

#5 7 years ago

Cabinet looks pretty decent; lower PF not bad at all and all the clown targets are intact! Coin door might like some polishing and can't really tell about the usual wear spots next to the kick-out holes, but I think you got an awesome deal. Have fun with it. I always enjoyed a few games on JJ/JITB.

#6 7 years ago

Great pick up. Good luck

#7 7 years ago

Nice pick up! Looks like in great condition, especially for the price.

#8 7 years ago

Great game in decent shape - and who doesn't like that backglass? all for $100! Congrats

#9 7 years ago

Great game!! Congrats on a smokin deal

#10 7 years ago

You are a lucky bastard!!! Congratulations on your finding.

Yves

#11 7 years ago

Excellent find. JJ / JITB is a great game.

#12 7 years ago

I want to replace the power cable with a grounded power cable (3 prong). Seeing as this was originally just 2 prong, where do I attach the ground? and is this something I can do?

I really would like to .

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

I want to replace the power cable with a grounded power cable (3 prong). Seeing as this was originally just 2 prong, where do I attach the ground? and is this something I can do?
I really would like to .

on the transformer mounting bolt

#15 7 years ago

Update...I put the new line cord in and I have power but not much else. Lights in the back box. When it's coined up the start button is pushed, the motor kicks on and runs continuously. No other action to speak of.

#16 7 years ago

I go through all of the contacts tightening relay stacks, burnishing the contact faces, and verifying proper wipe. It's amazing how many defects you will find when you look at everything.

I just followed this approach on an El Dorado and even then it wouldn't start. One switch I had not gone through was the coin door slam tilt switch wasn't making. Ohmed it out and found it and adjusted it and the game played 100% after that. Still needed a few adjustments but everything worked.

It's much easier to chase down the exceptions when you know the game has already been gone through.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I go through all of the contacts tightening relay stacks, burnishing the contact faces, and verifying proper wipe. It's amazing how many defects you will find when you look at everything.
I just followed this approach on an El Dorado and even then it wouldn't start. One switch I had not gone through was the coin door slam tilt switch wasn't making. Ohmed it out and found it and adjusted it and the game played 100% after that. Still needed a few adjustments but everything worked.
It's much easier to chase down the exceptions when you know the game has already been gone through.

that is the only way i do it now. when i get a new game i never plug it in. i just go through everything from the start.
like you said mike,it beats chasing issues

#18 7 years ago

Right on. "Total rebuild" is the basis of what I teach at VECTOR. Every-everything taken apart, cleaned, adjusted, made perfect, and then upgraded with the optional "better than new" tweaks.

EM's pretty much always need to be rebuilt after 40+ years of hard use and neglect. Just have to do the process... no shortcuts.

The best part is how EM maintenance changes your perspective. From wanting to "hurry up and play" to slowing down and "understanding the whole machine". It really is a Zen process and why many of us eventually get as much joy restoring the machines as playing them.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Right on. "Total rebuild" is the basis of what I teach at VECTOR. Every-everything taken apart, cleaned, adjusted, made perfect, and then upgraded with the optional "better than new" tweaks.
EM's pretty much always need to be rebuilt after 40+ years of hard use and neglect. Just have to do the process... no shortcuts.
The best part is how EM maintenance changes your perspective. From wanting to "hurry up and play" to slowing down and "understanding the whole machine". It really is a Zen process and why many of us eventually get as much joy restoring the machines as playing them.

So true. I find if I just do one small rebuild task per day the process is fairly painless.
It is easy to get overwhelmed looking at all of those relays & steppers.

#20 7 years ago

So I have found a broken part that I need to replace. It is the right half of the mech that raises the bank of drop targets back up. The arm has broken (the pin that kept them linked is gone).

Where can I find this part and what should I be asking for? JJ (resized).jpgJJ (resized).jpg

JJ (resized).jpgJJ (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

http://www.pbresource.com/

Ask Steve Young. Sure he will have an answer for you.

#22 7 years ago

When you call Steve, part names and numbers are helpful.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100-jumping-jack?hl=newport-bill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.