(Topic ID: 63944)

.100 idc female connectors, where can I find some?

By indypinhead

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by NM
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I'm trying to find some .100 female IDC connectors. I need to replace all of the female connectors located at the bottom of the WPC CPU board.

Does anyone know a good source for these?

#3 10 years ago

Great plains doesn't sell IDC's they only sell Molex style connectors. You can get them from Mouser or Digikey.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks

#5 10 years ago

Go with molex crimp style. It is a much better choice.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Go with molex crimp style. It is a much better choice.

Why?

#7 10 years ago

IDC plugs are far less reliable.

#8 10 years ago

Good luck with your search. My buddy and I got lucky and got a bag of around 150 NOS on Ebay for $31.00 shipped.

#10 10 years ago

Another good place for connectors: http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

#11 10 years ago

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/wafer-housing-crimp-terminal/serie-2400-3-96mm.html

^^^^

Housing and header pins all around 10 cents each. Tayda sells crimp contacts on a spool as well, but not trifurcon style.

#12 10 years ago

IDC connectors are used mainly because they take far less labor to install, and are thus cheaper to do in volume. But over time, they are also more problematic and suffer more from vibration issues.

Crimp pin connectors are much more time consuming to install, but are also more reliable over the long term. Particularly the trifurcon style, due to their greater surface area.

#13 10 years ago

I found some at a local electronics house.

I'm replacing the matric connectors at the bottom of a WPC board. I want to keep that area as stock as possible.

I use molex on all of my .156 connectors, trifurcons as well.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

are also more reliable over the long term. Particularly the trifurcon style, due to their greater surface area.

This is kind of a farce. Molex connectors can burn just like IDC connectors and I have seen plenty of cases where molex GI connectors still burn up. It is almost a rarity to see someone who correctly crimps a trifucon pin yet replaces the head and connector together. If your going to replace the Molex connector you better replace the header pins. Without locking headers and locking Molex connector the reliability is bad. I replace IDC with IDC and have yet to have a re-burn issue any faster than Molex.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

This is kind of a farce. Molex connectors can burn just like IDC connectors and I have seen plenty of cases where molex GI connectors still burn up.

Exactly right IMO, but it's a controversial subject--now quite long in the tooth.

Basically boils down to personal preference at this juncture.

Personally, I side with Martin Reynolds of Pinbits' view on the matter:

http://www.iobium.com/wpc_idc_connectors.htm

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/100-idc-female-connectors-where-can-i-find-some and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.