New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 231766)

10+ years in the hobby - reflections of some of my experiences

By too-many-pins

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 88 days ago by too-many-pins
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190521_174928 (resized).jpg
    20190521_174934 (resized).jpg
    20190521_174509 (resized).jpg
    20190521_174518 (resized).jpg
    20190521_174448 (resized).jpg
    20190521_174957 (resized).jpg
    20190521_174458 (resized).jpg
    20190521_174501 (resized).jpg
    123951(50) (resized).jpg
    20190521_175041 (resized).jpg
    123951(51) (resized).jpg
    20190521_174506 (resized).jpg
    123951(52) (resized).jpg
    20190521_174939 (resized).jpg
    20190521_174944 (resized).jpg
    20190521_174950 (resized).jpg

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 months ago

Matt is --- hazmat7719 --- here on Pinside and --- replaypin_72 --- on eBay. He is still in the process of getting 9 van & trailer loads of stuff organized so it will be a little while before he will be able to help a lot of people but he will have a "better" inventory than I ever had. Not because he is doing anything differently than I was doing but because I have continued to buy parts machines for him while we were making the transfer of ownership happen. Since we made the "original deal" about a year ago I have added about another 40 machines to his inventory beyond what I already had here. So he will have well over 100 parts machines in his inventory before he is 100% done with the stuff from me plus tons of parts I already had taken off machines.

Matt is a great guy to work with and has become a very good friend since I met him last year. He is about 20 years younger than I am so he has that additional energy I have lost over the years. So once he gets organized I am sure he will continue to help you guys with hard to find parts for years to come. He will also be adding a good amount of Bingo stuff if anyone is looking for bingo machine parts. I bought out a guy with over a dozen bingo machines a few months ago and those parts went directly to Matt. So you bingo guys will be happy also.

#102 3 months ago

Thanks for sharing your stories, and best wishes for your retirement.

1 week later
    #103 89 days ago

Glad to See you relieved the big stress in you life of the parts business. But unless you selling all your pinball stuff and going cold turkey i wouldn't close down your account here. After being in the hunt/game for all these years buying and selling your name is known here and in local pinball circles for years as the man in pinball. Yes you stepped away from the business side of it but some one will call at some point and your going to have to pass that on to matt or someone else be it a machine or box of goodies. It time to make it just a hobby again makes if more fun.

You also now have a great amount of knowledge that you can still share and tell the wild and crazy tales of the past. After a good day of fishing you can log in and laugh at our craziness. Then tell us about the new relaxed man you will be. Post the picture of the fish of the day making us jealous that your living the dream.

#104 88 days ago
    Quoted from cp1610:

Glad to See you relieved the big stress in you life of the parts business. But unless you selling all your pinball stuff and going cold turkey i wouldn't close down your account here. After being in the hunt/game for all these years buying and selling your name is known here and in local pinball circles for years as the man in pinball. Yes you stepped away from the business side of it but some one will call at some point and your going to have to pass that on to matt or someone else be it a machine or box of goodies. It time to make it just a hobby again makes if more fun.
    You also now have a great amount of knowledge that you can still share and tell the wild and crazy tales of the past. After a good day of fishing you can log in and laugh at our craziness. Then tell us about the new relaxed man you will be. Post the picture of the fish of the day making us jealous that your living the dream.

Even before I am entirely finished with the deal with Matt I have moved sideways into another hobby from my past. I am now back into dealing in model railroad stuff. Sitting around just isn't for me but moving 300+ pound machines around was getting old. So I am back to doing something smaller & lighter again.

We will be keeping some of our collection so I am not walking away from the hobby completely but I have decided 100% of the "excess stuff" has to go. So beyond my deal with Matt I'll also be selling off my "personal stash" of pinball parts and the last few project machines I was hanging on to shortly and moving most of my energy over to the model railroad hobby.

I'll still have the "thrill of the chase" and will still be keeping very busy. Just with smaller, lighter, and a little cleaned stuff. But after rebuilding a couple train engines yesterday my wife looked at my hands and said "I thought you said trains were a cleaner hobby". I forgot just how dirty you could get dealing with 60 year old grease in some of those old train gearboxes. They are not all that big but they sure as heck can be a dirty mess when you are working on them.

Anyway - as far as my Pinside account I'll make a decision on that in a couple months. For now I just need to keep working through old messes and moving on to new messes. The workbenches are interesting right now with a mix of train parts and pinball parts all on one bench. Talk about a mess of little stuff to deal with. And the train parts are much smaller so they disappear much quicker when you drop something like a little screw you had to pick up with tweezers on to a workbench full of pinball parts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.95
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.99
    $ 145.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 299.00
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 7,599.99
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    ScottyMods
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside