You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
LJ-10pointsrelay (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Issue on my Bally 'Little Joe'
When the 10-points relay is energised (by hand or at the playing field) a spark is seen between the switch ground-white/orange.
At the image you can see the switch. I've looked at the schema and the switch (with wire color W(hite)O(range) schema switch 57) is doing something with the 00-90 step up relay. I cannot figure out what exactly. Maybe someone can tell me.

When I disable this switch, by sliding a small piece of paper between the switch leafs (see attached image), the machine is working normally. All 4 players can play, the score's (10, 1000 and 1000's) for each player are added correctly ands the score reels are turning smoothly.

Now I'm confused, because although I'm blocking "a function" with a piece of paper, the pinball is running like it should.
Maybe someone can help me out on this matter.
Many thanks in advance and merry christmas!

Additional issue: Suddenly the head of my pinball remains in the dark, no active lightbulbs? any idea where to start looking (fuses are ok, pinball is running)

LJ-10pointsrelay (resized).pngLJ-10pointsrelay (resized).png
#2 4 years ago

The 00-90 step up coil drives the match unit. Check the coil resistance using a multimeter and inspect it for damage.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The 00-90 step up coil drives the match unit. Check the coil resistance using a multimeter and inspect it for damage.

if the coil is a dead short that tends to drop the tilt hold and kills the machine

#4 4 years ago

One or both of these Lock relay sw. for the backbox lites.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Quoted from pinhead52:

if the coil is a dead short that tends to drop the tilt hold and kills the machine

I did check the resistance and it turns out that the coil of the 00-90 step up unit has a resistance of 0.4 ohm, so nearly to zero and the cause for the short circuit. It was the cause of the problem. After I decoupled the coil of the 00-90 step up unit from the circuit, no short-circuit spark is seen at the 10-points relay.
Also the machine doesn't kills itself anymore and the 10-points are added nicely to the score reels.
Thank so much dr_nybble and pinhead52 for helping me out on this matter. I will order a new coil to replace the damaged one. Thanks again!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

One or both of these Lock relay sw. for the backbox lites.[quoted image]

Thanks for your reply @currieddog, I have checked the Locked relay switches and the fuses/ It turms out that one of the fuses made no connection with the fuseholder. After cleaning and tightening the fuseholder, the backbox was full of light! Thanks again man!

#7 4 years ago

I had the same dead coil problem in a Williams Woodrail. It was on. The 10 point bell that rang on startup as it reset the score. Took a whole afternoon and a couple of fuses to track that down. I think that machine had literally sat for years with that problem.

Glad to hear you isolated it. Just make sure that the new coil doesn’t get stuck on when you put it in. The original fault that killed it could still be there.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/10-points-score-shuts-down-pinball?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.