You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3823 (resized).JPG
IMG_3822 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

This is the last problem I need to fix on this restoration. I can play a one player game with no problem. If I play a 2 player game and start a ball on 2nd player, as soon as it hits a 10 point switch the 10 point relay locks on. The 10 point chime locks on as well. As soon as the ball drains it de-energizes.

Research says to look at the EOS switches on the score reels to make sure they are opening. They are. I looked at the 2nd player relay as well as the 10 point relay and all of the contacts have been cleaned and appear to be functioning as they should. I also looked closely at the solder tabs to make sure none were touching. I checked all of the 10 point switches on the playfield and none of them are stuck closed. They all function good on player one.

I could sure use a little help on what else I should be looking at. I have the schematics but not very good at understanding them.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

I have the schematics but not very good at understanding the.

Get a high quality scan of the schematic at Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6) or OfficeDepot

#3 6 years ago

I have the original schematics. Very legible, just don't have a good understanding.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

I have the original schematics. Very legible, just don't have a good understanding.

Just found I have a good scan of the schematic so will post relevant bits here.

#5 6 years ago

As you already suggested, check the EOS on the 2nd player score reel. As a quick check, when the N relay is locked on it should release if you manually operate the 1st player 10 reel.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

What about the solders on the wires on the 10's reel board? All solid?

#7 6 years ago

Double checked the EOS switch on 2nd player 10's reel and it opens when pulled in. All of the solder connections look good and no tabs shorting.

As suggested WOZ, with the N relay locked on I manually advanced the player one 10's reel and the relay released.

Should I be looking at the player unit or the score motor? I looked at the player 2 switches on the player unit (solder tabs and contacts) and they all open when they should.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

solders on the wires on the 10's reel board? All solid?

Top and bottom of the board?

#9 6 years ago

I think you need to get a meter on that EOS switch. Turn the power off and measure the resistance when the Player 2 10's unit EOS is open. Do the wire colours match with the schematic? Please post a photo of the EOS switch

#10 6 years ago

Just try blocking the contacts on the EOS with paper.

#11 6 years ago

Tested the switch while open and it has no continuity. Can't find the EOS switch on the schematics but the colors for the top switch in the pic are SL-WHT and WHT-BLU Colors for the bottom switch are MAR and BLU & WHT. Top pic I havr the plunger pulled in. Bottom pic is in relaxed position.

Sorry for the bad pictures. That's a difficult shot to take.

I'll try blocking the top switch and see what happens.

Sounds like the main focus is on this reel. If I can't figure it out I'll take the whole reel apart and see if I can find something.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

IMG_3822 (resized).JPGIMG_3822 (resized).JPG

IMG_3823 (resized).JPGIMG_3823 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

That is the EOS sw. highlighted on the above schematic snippet.

#13 6 years ago

I would record/mark/photograph those EOS wires and then cut/desolder them from the switch blade tabs to verify the switches are not the problem. Who knows if the switch stack hole tubes are intact or not?

#14 6 years ago

I blocked the switch and that seemed to make a difference. The relay didn't lock on but the reel wouldn't score. If the reel isn't scoring does that mean I have a different problem that might be making the relay lock? Tomorrow I will desolder the wires to both switches and see what happens. I think I read somewhere that the EOS switch is not necessarily needed for the game to function. That should mean if I disconnect it everything should work?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

Tomorrow I will desolder the wires to both switches and see what happens. I think I read somewhere that the EOS switch is not necessarily needed for the game to function. That should mean if I disconnect it everything should work?

Yes, only the pair of contacts that are normally closed together.

#16 6 years ago

I fixed my problem and marked it resolved. The reels have a rack and pinion gear and when I rebuilt all 16 of them I got one tooth off on this one. As a result the plunger wasn't able to pull in all the way. When I pulled it in manually it appeared to work perfectly

Thanks to all of you that helped and kept me focused on the problem being at the reel.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/10-point-relay-locking-on-1975-gottlieb-super-soccer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.