(Topic ID: 158996)

10 opto boards...interchangeable?

By billsfanmd

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SSL15677_(resized).JPG
    twotypes_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I think I know the answer to this but thought I would ask...These boards are out of stock...I see there are several games that use them...I wanted to test one out of an Indy Jones...I see they are in diff games but the part no are diff. Can these be tested in other games with similar board? Does the part no need to be exact in order to do a test?

#2 7 years ago

I have interchanged them and have always worked fine.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks. I'll double check that they are identical

#4 7 years ago

The following games all use an identical (electrically) 10 opto board:

Bram Stokers Dracula
    Dr. Who
    Indiana Jones
    Pinball Circus
    Popeye
    Cactus Canyon
    Corvette
    Monster Bash
    Medieval Madness
    Revenge From Mars
    Safe Cracker
    Star Wars Episode 1 (Pinball 2000)
    Shadow
    World Cup Soccer

Different part numbers are used BUT this only relates to the way the board is mounted.

#5 7 years ago

This is a coincidence. I have my Popeye on loan to The Sanctum in CT. It has an opto out that I am pretty sure is going to be an LM339 on the opto board. But before replacing the chip I figured I would pull a board from a different game to test. When I told them I was going to pull it from an IJ I have in storage I got a couple of comments.

Why do you have a Popeye setup and your IJ in storage? You know you will probably be the first person in history to take parts from an IJ to fix a Popeye.

Thanks for the list above. I knew BSD and DW had the exact same board by number. I did not know Corvette, MB and WCS. One of those might be easier to get to, definitely MB since it is setup. I'll have to look to see what you mean be mounting is different. Are the holes the same just position? Are all the keys pins on the headers the same . . .

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

This is a coincidence. I have my Popeye on loan to The Sanctum in CT. It has an opto out that I am pretty sure is going to be an LM339 on the opto board. But before replacing the chip I figured I would pull a board from a different game to test. When I told them I was going to pull it from an IJ I have in storage I got a couple of comments.
    Why do you have a Popeye setup and your IJ in storage? You know you will probably be the first person in history to take parts from an IJ to fix a Popeye.
    Thanks for the list above. I knew BSD and DW had the exact same board by number. I did not know Corvette, MB and WCS. One of those might be easier to get to, definitely MB since it is setup. I'll have to look to see what you mean be mounting is different. Are the holes the same just position? Are all the keys pins on the headers the same . . .

The boards themselves and the placement of the connectors is identical but some machines mounted them vertically and added some "wings" to enable this.

The Homepin replacement includes the wings but they are able to be snapped off if required.

Shown here (Johns-Arcade will have ample stocks when the ship arrives):
    http://www.johns-arcade.com/#!product-page/c1cs/f117326f-8adb-bdbc-8b59-ad7db2bb9711

This pic also shows the added wings BUT the actual boards are identical.

twotypes_(resized).jpgtwotypes_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

The boards themselves and the placement of the connectors is identical but some machines mounted them vertically and added some "wings" to enable this.
    The Homepin replacement includes the wings but they are able to be snapped off if required.
    Shown here (Johns-Arcade will have ample stocks when the ship arrives):
    http://www.johns-arcade.com/#!product-page/c1cs/f117326f-8adb-bdbc-8b59-ad7db2bb9711
    This pic also shows the added wings BUT the actual boards are identical.

Very cool thanks. Since the Popeye did not have the "wings" I will be able to pop the spacers off and try any of the other boards to test.

And since I have at least 5 games that use them I will probably get a spare from John's Arcade for the shelf. Great guy, been to his house, great collection. But I can't connect to your link or the main website itself. Could be blocked where I am.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Very cool thanks. Since the Popeye did not have the "wings" I will be able to pop the spacers off and try any of the other boards to test.
    And since I have at least 5 games that use them I will probably get a spare from John's Arcade for the shelf. Great guy, been to his house, great collection. But I can't connect to your link or the main website itself. Could be blocked where I am.

Hahaha - Yes, John is a great guy and he will do you right. You can't possibly be in a more "blocked" place than me (I am currently in China).

In any case I'm sure you will be able to connect to John's site when you are in a "more reasonable country". LOL

This pic shows the Homepin board and the rows of snap off holes if you don't need the wings.

SSL15677_(resized).JPGSSL15677_(resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

Great info. The diff part numbers on MM and IJ through me off.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/10-opto-boardsinterchangeable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.