(Topic ID: 140488)

$10 NVRAM adapters on eBay (6264)

By Lindsey

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmp_620-20151018_113936-518623005.jpg
    tmp_620-20151018_121258330043045.jpg
    MaximizerRev1.pdf (PDF preview)
    Memory_Expander_680x.jpg
    Bally_MPU_RAMROM_27C512_31.jpg
    MM_Rev1.jpg
    bally_memcap_protol.jpg
    Zac_Gen_2.jpg
    Zac_Gen_2_pcb.jpg
    6264-nvram-proto.jpg
    IMG_3194.jpg
    mpu200_adapter_400.jpg
    5101_Adapter_With_DIP_RAMTRON.jpg
    mpu200_nvram1.jpg
    budget_5101_assembled_v1_500.jpg
    5101_nvram.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Radius118.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#105 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

I gotta be honest, as a pinball collector with limited electronics knowledge and bad soldering skills (no way Im risking my boards), this product area confuses the crap out of me. I understand what they do, but I feel like there is market confusion because of all the different options out there now.

Honestly, and no disrespect to you, this product is probably not for you unless you are willing to send your cpu board out to have it done.

I can see how there could be confusion as to which product to buy but in reality there is no difference between buying a NVRAM product and a water pump for your Ford truck. Look up the application list for the NVRAM product you are interested in and see if it supports the boards you want to use it for. If it supports classic Bally boards but you have a WPC, then that's probably not the right NVRAM product.

These are great in that they completely rid the nuisance of batteries from your machines. The bad part is that you have to cut the existing memory chip off the board, remove all the legs with your soldering iron, then de-solder the holes. Solder in a chip socket and install the NVRAM with adapter.

*Poof* no more batteries. EVER.

Edit: Just thought of something. I'm not sure if it already exists or not, but maybe some of the NVRAM gurus could write a Pinside how-to or something to list all of the NVRAM products available for a given board set. I bet that would really help the community figure out what to buy. If there are multiple vendors for the same item (IE: WPC) then list them all so everything has the same exposure and opportunity for sales.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Radius118.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/10-nvram-adapters-on-ebay-6264?tu=Radius118 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.