Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JoeChamp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

This is my first post, please forgive the noob.

I bought a used Demolition Man in March 2021 at an auction. I found a few plastics that were broken and the diverter ramp wasn't hooked up, but all in all in played well. After performing a full shop on the playfield, fixing the plastics, hooking up the diverter, and upgrading to all LED lights (added a few LED strip lights from Comet) along with a new battery mod from TNT Amusements. The game was better than ever! Until recently a strange thing has started happening. I have done exhaustive research to try to find anyone who has experienced a similar problem. I've searched for an answer on Pinside and other forms hoping to find a answer so I wouldn't have to post this message, but I found nothing. So here goes. Please forgive me if this is something simple or just the way it's supposed to work... IDK?

After an epic 15 minute game I finally made it to Demolition Man Multiball and racked up some huge points. The next morning when the game was powered on a strange thing started happening. After the pop of the speakers and when the playfield lights come on during the initial start up tests of the cryo claw and the elevator, then game has now started launching balls. In fact in consistently launches 10 balls (5 twice) and then boots up normally and plays normally. Except for one thing... during every multiball it launches all 5 balls. Even Fortress multiball with only one ball locked (which should give you just two balls) it launches 5 balls. Crazy too is when the game sits idle for more than 10 minutes it starts launching balls again on its own, 10 balls launch then it stops and continues in low power mode. Also when exiting the options menu on the coin door the game restarts as usual but again launches 10 balls.

As a side note and at about the same time two flasher bulbs continuously stay lit. I have removed the bulbs to avoid melting plastic. I'm pretty sure the cause is a couple of bad semiconductors. Specifically Q16 and Q13. I have ordered new ones and will replace them once received.

Could it be a bad 7 through ball opto board? Marco part # #A-17982

Something with the ROM? or ASIC chip?

Thanks for your help.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from JoeChamp:

Could it be a bad 7 through ball opto board? Marco part # #A-17982

I doubt too many balls in the ball trough. I would suspect a bad opto or two. Power off. Reseat ball trough connectors. Turn the game back on.

You can also check the ball trough optos. Tests - Switch Edge - roll one ball at a time into the ball trough, see if they all work.

Also check that the balls roll down the ball trough smooth. Not magnetized or divots in the bottom of the ball trough.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Great advice! Thank you I will try that.

One more thing I just remembered... When all the balls have been removed and the game resets or powers back on, it launches 10 times, even with no balls.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from JoeChamp:

One more thing I just remembered... When all the balls have been removed and the game resets or powers back on, it launches 10 times, even with no balls.

Looking for the missing balls. Ball trough opto issue. Board issue or lack of power to them.

LTG : )

#5 2 years ago

So I did what LTG suggested and sure enough there was no signal for Opto #3. Perfect way to test the optos!! Thank you very much. Ordered a new opto and receiver board set from PINBALL HAUS. Will update when I receive it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 72.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/10-balls-launch-when-powered-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.