Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

If anyone else here comes to pinball through competitive gaming, you already know the term.

I've come across many scrubs, even ones who play in lots of tournaments. Don't be a scrub!

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win

#2 9 years ago

Great post, thanks. The yomi concept is at play when deciding what strategy to use against opponents, ball-to-ball.

#3 9 years ago

i'm a scrub

#4 9 years ago

Should this be in the Off topic category? The article appears to only be discussing video games.

#5 9 years ago

Well im sure there are scrubs in pinball but it's less common then video games since pinball is not predictable. Ive been known to be a scrub in fighters, I never felt the need to put 100s of hours into them to learn every counter or bugs
    to exploit. If a pin has a well balanced ruleset I don't know how any play could be considered "cheap"?

#6 9 years ago

Apart from "That's Cheap", pretty much the rest of this article directly applies to pinball. Just because it doesn't use pinball examples doesn't mean it should be in the "Off Topic" section. If a few people are interested I could probably provide a bunch of examples from my experiences of the concepts in this article.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from KevinDDR:

Apart from "That's Cheap", pretty much the rest of this article directly applies to pinball. Just because it doesn't use pinball examples doesn't mean it should be in the "Off Topic" section. If a few people are interested I could probably provide a bunch of examples from my experiences of the concepts in this article.

Do it!

1 month later
    #9 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Should this be in the Off topic category? The article appears to only be discussing video games.

No, this is applicable to pinball. For example, being a scrub would be not shooting the ramp in Data East Star Wars in a tournament because it's more fun to shoot the rest of the table, even though spamming ramp is the best way to get points.

1 week later
    #10 9 years ago

Good article that does relate directly to pinball. I have heard "scrubs" complain about "pro" players who catch the ball too much! "I like to play on the fly. It drives me nuts to watch these pro players catch the ball between almost every shot". They equate fun to fast paced, on the fly shot making, making lots of outlane saves, getting to the wizard mode, etc.

I've heard Bowen say more than once "We're not playing for fun, we're playing for points". So true! And just like the article says, the advanced pinball players ARE having fun, just on a different level. It can be a grind, but it is fun to find a way to dominate a game and beat your opponents in a way that may not be the typical way of playing that game. I remember watching KME destroy Cheatah in the PAPA13 finals by tap passing to the right flipper and then shooting the far left lane over and over. Fun and exciting to watch? Not really. But I guarantee Keith was having fun doing it!

I've read this one on Pinside, "Tournament players take all the fun out of pinball". Ha! We are having fun, trust me on that!

#11 9 years ago

I like playing "on the fly" but love watching players that can catch and hold, flipper pass, etc. It's quite amazing the control they have on the ball(s) in play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-playing-tip-dont-be-a-scrub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.