9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Vino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 months ago

I seem to have pinball ADD. I've never owned a game that I eventually didn't get tired of. I think my record is barely 1 year. It drives my wife nuts and selling older games in the middle of nowhere can be hard.

So I started thinking. What if I buy a new stern pro. I'm sure I'll tire of it eventually. I'll sell it for a few hundred less than i paid. I'll then buy a new stern pro. New stern games in great shape, but sold at a discount, seem to sell quickly.

Anyone tried this before?

#2 9 months ago

I think a lot of people do EXACTELY that, lol...

#3 9 months ago

Here at PinSide, we call this the waspinat0r strategy....

#4 9 months ago

I think waspinator was crazy and sold games on a weekly basis.

#5 9 months ago

It may sound like a good strategy at first, but that "couple of hundred" will add up over time. That plus the labor of moving games. I guess you could consider that the cost of NIB rotation. Also realize that depending on the title, a couple of hundred may turn into 300-700. Plus, if you are a mod guy, Pinside has shown that mods don't always hold their value.

#6 9 months ago

I plan to do exactly this when I run out of room. Have 2-4 slots that just continually rotate. If doing it with only new games, yeah you’ll lose 2-300 on each deal, and have to pay at least that much to get the next one, but I’d say that’s pretty worth it if you’re getting to play the game non stop for 4-6 months.

#7 9 months ago

It's fine to rotate pins. People do it all the time. The problem is losing cash on each NIB purchase. You'd think it's "only a couple hundred dollars" but it adds up. I'd set a budget, of say $5K, on a machine, maybe in its own account. Then use that cash to B/S/T. Buy smart and you should be able to break even, or even gain some profit on MOST transactions. That will certainly keep you of the NIB market however, but the good thing is that there are plenty of games excellent games that are 20+ yrs old.

#8 9 months ago

I pay $500 per month to the us government for student loans so losing $500 per pin isn't too bad.

I also am interested in nib because i live in the middle of nowhere and buying a used pin eats up my weekends and are harder to sell.

I am not waspinator crazy. I think 6 months would be a minimum for me. Plus I'm no longer a mod guy. I realised quickly that they are a huge lose when rotating pins quickly

#9 9 months ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

Plus I'm no longer a mod guy. I realised quickly that they are a huge lose when rotating pins quickly

This will only help your case. Haha

#10 9 months ago

Im also not the most mechanically talented.

My wife also likes to play but she stinks. Most of her shots go up the middle.

Any nib stern suggestions?

#11 9 months ago

Im also not the most mechanically talented.
    My wife also likes to play but she stinks. Most of her shots go up the middle.
    Any nib stern suggestions?

Everything that stern has on the line right now is great. Cannot go wrong with any of them.

#12 9 months ago

Been rotating Stern pros for a few years, they hold their value really well. Even if you get a dud like Kiss, if you only hold it a year plenty of people will think they code is aboot to get updated anyway.
    Better if you csn pick up and not ship because you'll have to eat that but that's the the absolute worst case? You lose 1k a year to have a new pin? Like, big deal.
    50% of new buyers on pinside easily throwaway hundreds the first day adding mods they'll never recover the cash from

#13 9 months ago

Since you don't mind taking the cut on nib, I'd get 1 with more complete coding. (Not a new release) That way you get the fullest experience possible before you move on. By then coding on the other machines available may be further too.

#14 9 months ago
    Quoted from PinZig:

Since you don't mind taking the cut on nib, I'd get 1 with more complete coding. (Not a new release) That way you get the fullest experience possible before you move on. By then coding on the other machines available may be further too.

I agree with this! I have 1 spot in my 12 machine line up that I plan to rotate out every 9-12 month so I can play a bunch of the newer Sterns. My plan to to pick machines that have been out for a while. I'm starting this rotation plan with AC/DC!

#15 9 months ago

I might just try to do a swap or buy/sell each year at the Midwest Gaming Classic or Pinball Expo. Used games is certainly the most cost effective, but if breaking even isn't really an issue, I'm sure you could go new. Either way, I think swapping out games is a great way to keep a solo or small collection fresh. I need to start doing that more often, but I have a fear that if I sell, I won't ever be able to get them back for what I have into them. I need to get over that and mix up my collection more often.

PS: If you do end up with an Iron Maiden, let me know when you get sick of it.

#16 9 months ago

Too bad star wars is a turd. I think I'm leaning towards iron maiden. But we've played aerosmith and thought it was fun

#17 9 months ago

My advice: get more room !!!!!

#18 9 months ago

IMDN is great. Consensus is it's great. Reselling it in 6-12 months won't be hard, especially since you are ok with losing some money on the deal. Plenty of good distros on pinside who can set you up with a good price and good customer service.

IDK what MAP is on IMDN but I'd suspect you could get it for like $5600-5700 (+/-) shipped to your door.

#19 9 months ago

You can also trade your game in with a distro when you want to change it up. Might take more of a hit though.

#20 9 months ago

Npo. I have plenty of room. It is attention span and money I'm lacking

#21 9 months ago

Npo. I have plenty of room. It is attention span and money I'm lacking

Save up with 1 and get 2 rolling... That makes it a lot easier.

#22 9 months ago

Too bad star wars is a turd. I think I'm leaning towards iron maiden. But we've played aerosmith and thought it was fun

First, not a bad strategy with Sterns.

SW may not be your bag but the game play and rules keep it interesting and far from a turd.
    Played the crap out of Maiden and while I like the design, it will probably run its course in half the time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 109.99
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.99
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside