(Topic ID: 153890)

1 nice game or 2 or 3 Less expensive games?

By Lemank

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by toyotaboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I have about 4 k to spend on pinball right now. Would I be better off if I bought 1 nice expensive game for that price or 2 or 3 other pinball machines? I love to play pinball and I am handy in case one breaks down. I have found a nice big guns and dredd in that price range. I could also pick up a newer stern for close to that. What should I do? What would you do?

#2 8 years ago

Age old question which has been asked many times over the ages. Depends on if you have space or not is one of the most common answers.

#3 8 years ago

I'm in the process of going from 2 down to 1 great game, I'm going to probably stick with 1 A list game for awhile and swap it out for another when I get sick of it

#4 8 years ago

If you have 2 games on your wishlist you can get for that price, I would do it versus getting only one. I wouldn't buy a cheap game just to have it, but if they are titles you actually like go for it.

#6 8 years ago

I would go for the 2 or 3 titles over the 1 expensive stern. The game play gets spread out over many vs. one. So, the game getting stale problem gets spread over a longer period of time.
    Both the games you mentioned would be good titles!

#7 8 years ago

Looking at your wishlist...I would go TWD Pro and never look back.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lemank:

nice big guns and dredd in that price range. I could also pick up a newer stern for close to that. What should I do? What would you do?

buy the 2

#9 8 years ago

Since you're okay with repairing games, I think the older games are a much better value. I would definitely pick up 2 or 3 instead of only one if I had the space.

If you're patient and selective about what you buy, you can play, fix and maybe even build your pinball fund.

#10 8 years ago

Variety is the spice of life

#11 8 years ago

Buy a machine you like!
    Quality is better then quantity, imo

#12 8 years ago

When I just started out it was quantity but now that all the spaces have been filled up it's quality.

#13 8 years ago

Price does not equal quality. Buy/keep the games that you like.

#14 8 years ago

I dont want to sound like an ass, but those are 2-3 year old threads. One being 8 months. Sometimes peoples views change over time after experimentation and its good to start up another thread to see where people stand currently.

to the OP: im in the same boat. Contemplating 2 pros or 1 woz; or a premium and wait later to add the pro.

Way i see it; if you have lots of time on your hands, the more pins the better. If time is limited and precious to you, then less (but nicer) is better.

#15 8 years ago

if you had no games I'd say 2 but like Captive_Ball said TWD looks like a nice choice.

But me I would probably get 2 older ones due to variety.

so I'm no help

#16 8 years ago

Id rather have 2 fun older games ie Indy 500 and WCS over 1 Pro Stern - but that's just me.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

Price does not equal quality. Buy/keep the games that you like.

Quoted from jchiu:

Id rather have 2 fun older games ie Indy 500 and WCS over 1 Pro Stern - but that's just me.

Agree.

Look at the bang/buck list and the top 100...there are DOZENS of great games that can be had in your price range. I'd get 2 really fun older games rather than dropping 4k on a Stern Pro that has fewer features than many "old" games.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Agree.
    Look at the bang/buck list and the top 100...there are DOZENS of great games that can be had in your price range. I'd get 2 really fun older games rather than dropping 4k on a Stern Pro that has fewer features than many "old" games.

Fewer features, but faster gameplay and better rules (depending on the pro you pick).

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

but faster gameplay and better rules

maybe faster play...maybe, depends on the game--on the other hand, a lot of modern sterns are drain monsters...so the ball may fly around faster but it'll fly down the drain! I suck, so a slower, more flowing game would be a plus for me

Rules would be a toss up, but probably deeper in general on a pro.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I dont want to sound like an ass, but those are 2-3 year old threads.

You're not being an ass and no worries I take no offense. I was just posting them as more options to look at, which is why I didn't thumbs down the OP. Just don't go thinking that because some of the games are a little newer and you like them, it changes the question completely

Quoted from Wickerman2:

maybe faster play...maybe, depends on the game--on the other hand, a lot of modern sterns are drain monsters

Modern Stern games play looong on average.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Modern Stern games play looong on average.

not with me at the helm, do much better on bally/williams--like the feel much more.

#22 8 years ago

i went quantity first, now that my space is filled up ill slowly sell/trade up over time

#23 8 years ago

looking at your list, I would get TWD pro or ST pro

#24 8 years ago

Thanks for chiming in on this. I think I am going quantity first and then trade up. I have room and time. I like playing different pins all the time. Pinball league here in the burgh has about 40 pins at 1 location and 20 at another so I get my variety there. They have all types there. Old ems, classic 90's, and new sterns like Twd and st. I just need my fix at home too.

#25 8 years ago

Would $4k buy WPT + Stargate? Probably not anymore? Otherwise that would be my recommendation.
    EM are worth a try too. Most of them are still really cheap, and add a lot a variety. Start with an inexpensive one with 3" flippers and inlanes.

In your current position (space available) I would go for a variety (i.e. more than one pin).

#26 8 years ago

Yes. Buy one expensive game and then 1 or 2 cheap games to go along with it. Just tell the wife atleast these were less expensive. Then before you know it you will have 10 to 20 like most of us. At that point, you wait for CPR to sell the playfields for the least expensive games so you can make them look and play like the expensive games. You get the idea.

#27 8 years ago

Definately buy two, you get tired of playing 1 game real fast. Even if it's a fun game. I have found when we had one game we would play for an hour. When we had 2 or 3 we would play all night. Get sick of the same thing over and over, you switch, then switch back

#28 8 years ago

I'll take 3 WPC games over a new Stern LE or MMR.

#29 8 years ago

if you're early in the hobby and you have space, always go for quantity over quality (so long as you actually like the titles) so you have multiple titles to play. As you save up more money and run out of room you can easily sell off 2 titles to get one nice title. rinse repeat until you run out of room.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-nice-game-or-2-or-3-less-expensive-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.