Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211002_165559 (resized).jpg
    20210902_164510 (resized).jpg
    20210902_164502 (resized).jpg
    16327921098078983825281702755908 (resized).jpg
    16327920685762083052381196503559 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 2 years ago

I was at my buddy's house and he was telling us about that he had a tech out to look at a baywatch with no coil v. Tech spent an hour and I think over $100 but went unresolved.

Opened up the head. Squeezed the fuse clips back together. Worked.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

While we are at replacing switches, how about replacing flipper EOS on BSD, with power properly off but some charge on capacitors, so shorting the EOS to flipper solenoid wire while removing switch screws... ZAP! and a burnt LM339.

WMS too cheap to add a $0.003 cap bleeder resistor =D

I have noticed that WPC solenoid capacitor sure does hold V for a while. I drew a nice spark one sliding a playfield back into the game, something touched ground near the back of the PF on Johnny. Saw the blue flash and heard the snap, luckily nothing fried.

#72 2 years ago

Would have been nice if wpc games had a bleeder resistor across the solenoid capacitor. The LED on power driver stays lit for a while after you turn the game off. I too have gotten a power off jolt from touching a coil lug and drawn a spark sliding a playfield back down. I think gottlieb used a 30k 1/4w resistor to drain the cap down faster after power off.

#76 2 years ago

Dracula. Had +2vdc coming out of the 12vdc bridge. IDC plug probably took longer than a minute to repin, but was easy to find already knowing the power path.

20211002_165559 (resized).jpg20211002_165559 (resized).jpg

Quoted from zaza:

The WPC powerdriver does have a bleeder resistor and no LED for the solenoid power.
    WPC95 on the other hand...nope

Must be like a 1M resistor. This dracula just fixed I can draw a nice blue arc from a coil lug to the ground braid 60 seconds after the power goes off. I made a bad assumption one of the LEDs that stays lit for a long time was the sol bus V. I guess its probably +18v or whatever as the 12v would go flat quick.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

Probably the resistor is blown. It should be close to zero Volt in a few seconds.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/70v-on-coils-after-machine-is-shut-off#post-3275203

Yep, it sure is. Probably will bump up the resistance to around 20k-30k so it does not burn up again as 10K at 70v is around a power of 1/2W. I hate taking out those power driver boards, so many plugs. On the list for later, not too big of a deal. I'd bet that resistor is smoked on a lot of boards and it just goes unnoticed. This game appears to have seen a lot of on time / play.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-minute-fix-that-took-hours-let-s-hear-the-stories?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.