Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Vyzer2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

479422_563583200329968_129909095_o.jpg
    photo_2(12).JPG
    photo_1(12).JPG
    photo_3(7).JPG
    #1 10 years ago

So I heard the #1 Pinball playing Texan Colin MacAlpine [COL] Current World Rank : 134th was in town. I wanted to meet him and have him over I play some pinball at my house. My friend and fellow IFPA player "Xerico" pinball reached out and made it happen. Just to make things interesting Craig Hassell the original founder of the Texas Pinball Festival joined in. So I have these 3 great players and 1 state champion in my garage. Myself and my friend Dan were out classed... Hard. Then they declared all games will be $1 games per player winner take all. LOL there goes my lunch money!!

Colin had devastating ball control. Watching him play in person was like witnessing a PAPA video filming session. He not only wrecked my machines... He wrecked my reality of how to play them. He had them singing... Buzzing... Chirping and making noises I had never heard. He amassed massive scores on my machines... And laughed the whole time.

He was one of the coolest dudes ever.

Marcus, Craig and Dan all were having a blast too, and I felt like I was surrounded by people who understood my obsession and passion. Pinheads.

Was a great night. I'm going to need some practice. LOL photo_3(7).JPGphoto_3(7).JPG photo_1(12).JPGphoto_1(12).JPG photo_2(12).JPGphoto_2(12).JPG

#2 10 years ago

Thanks for posting a REALLY COOL THREAD !!!!

Good to see people having fun !!!! I am going to go to the tournament in Fairfax, Va. early next year just to watch some of the better players play (of course I will participate but will most likely finish last....LOL !!!). I STINK !!!

#3 10 years ago

Wow that is awrsome! What kind of mount do you have underneath your tmnt? Looking to do red to my bk2k.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

Wow that is awrsome! What kind of mount do you have underneath your tmnt? Looking to do red to my bk2k.

Mount?

The LED strips have adhesive tape. Its a giant strip on all 4 sides. Its very flat... and very bright.

#5 10 years ago

Totally dig the implication that you weren't surrounded by pinheads before. That's funny. I've been to your garage too. Lemme know when you want me to come over and reset those high scores on F-14 for ya, lol.

Dan wasn't outclassed... out of his element maybe, we all know Dan prefers older games and EMs. He beat me at Connor's IFPA tourney, pretty sure. If he got more chances to play 'modern' machines and liked them more, I don't doubt that he would be pretty competitve. I bet watching Colin play F-14 was a hoot.

You really gonna keep room for Centipede and Ms. Pac over pins? I don't think you have the willpower to do it when something else awesome comes up for sale. Besides, didn't you say you were getting that Roadshow...somethings gotta go. You're outta room in there.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Mount?
    The LED strips have adhesive tape. Its a giant strip on all 4 sides. Its very flat... and very bright.

Good, i think itsvthe same stuff i bought looks great.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Totally dig the implication that you weren't surrounded by pinheads before. That's funny. I've been to your garage too. Lemme know when you want me to come over and reset those high scores on F-14 for ya, lol.

You are welcome to come play anytime. Your high score on F14 remains, although Marcus, Colin and Craig were doing it nasty for sure...

No implication meant. I have been surrounded by pinheads before... and like tonight... it's a great feeling. Being with pinball people is quickly becoming my favorite thing.

Quoted from Frax:

Dan wasn't outclassed... out of his element maybe, we all know Dan prefers older games and EMs. He beat me at Connor's IFPA tourney, pretty sure. If he got more chances to play 'modern' machines and liked them more, I don't doubt that he would be pretty competitve. I bet watching Colin play F-14 was a hoot.

I think you are right. Maybe it was only me... the noob who was outclassed. Dan knows quite a lot and has been a pin owner for 15+ years. He easily beat both Colin and myself on Team One.

Quoted from Frax:

You really gonna keep room for Centipede and Ms. Pac over pins? I don't think you have the willpower to do it when something else awesome comes up for sale. Besides, didn't you say you were getting that roadshow...somethings gotta go. You're outta room in there.

Road Show is coming for sure... but I will likely trade Last Action Hero to get it. And yes, later, other pins will come too. Eventually I plan to have 12 in there total. But I am less than 12 months out from my new house, and that place will have a dedicated room, or room for me to construct a room, for everything and much more. I want my own arcade. I love the Ms Pac and Centipede... but you are right... Pins take precedence.

#8 10 years ago

Didn't Josh set the high score before you had the Pinsmith out to fix it? I thought I heard him talking about the upper flippers, might have been something else.

That means that he got the high score on a non-fully functioning game. Hah. Nicely done.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

Didn't Josh set the high score before you had the Pinsmith out to fix it? I thought I heard him talking about the upper flippers, might have been something else.
    That means that he got the high score on a non-fully functioning game. Hah. Nicely done.

Now that I am not sure. I think he did it at the Arcade House Party.... and the pinsmith had been in it at that point... perhaps not all the way...

The upper right flipper has gone limp again... so will have to be fixed better. It was the limp flipper... lol...

#10 10 years ago

Way to go Josh

#11 10 years ago

It's an easy fix. Evan should be able to walk you through it in about 5 min. on the phone or less. Basically just have to adjust it while holding the pawl mech in the "at rest" position, then tighten it down with a ratchet.

#12 10 years ago

Sounds and looks like a blast. Wish we could have been there.
    Colin is indeed a great player. He and my son finished in the top 3 in A division at the TPF.
    We spent a good portion of time trying to keep him off of AC/DC and we own one. Lol.
    He is a great competitor and can't wait to play with him next year.
    staying at the Hotel this time just in case more 3 AM finishes are called for.

#13 10 years ago

TPF is going to be awesome for sure!!

#14 10 years ago

Can you provide more details on the tactics and strategies he used? Or was it just ball control + accuracy = domination?

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Can you provide more details on the tactics and strategies he used? Or was it just ball control + accuracy = domination?

Ya know... I would not be the best person to describe what I was seeing. I should have just filmed it.

I guess I can say that he would bump and nudge the machine with precision... tapping it even when the ball was in the UPPER playfield. I always used nudges to avoid out-lanes (with limited success) but Colin was able to use bumps, budges and taps to get the ball to do other things basically all over the playfield. This really made me realize how under-used my machine were, and how under skilled I am. I am not a bumper kind of guy... but you can see the common denominator of great player is that they are physical with the machine...

Colin didnt do any death saves... but he also didnt just stand there. It was like he did a mind meld with the machine... and once he figured out how it played and its unique quirks he adjusted his play style accordingly.

He also passed the ball expertly from flippers, sometimes with all 3 of them trapped during a multiball. He easily shot the jackpot on TAXI several times.

It was great to see... they took my money every time. LOL.

#16 10 years ago

Sounds like an amazing evening and I think your garage is WAY cool.

#17 10 years ago

Sounds like an amazing evening and I think your garage is WAY cool.

Thanks. I love my garage too. It's my happy place.

However I really do miss putting my car in it...

479422_563583200329968_129909095_o.jpg479422_563583200329968_129909095_o.jpg

#18 10 years ago

Bakashan you're moving? Didn't know that..

I'll have you guys over when I get my games functioning in my gameroom. Although I have other games beside pins in my gameroom, only three pins are operable right now. When I get Jokerz and Genesis upstairs and shopped out I'll have a get together.

Once again....thanks for the invite. Playing your TAXI only makes me want one even more now.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Bakashan you're moving? Didn't know that..
    I'll have you guys over when I get my games functioning in my gameroom. Although I have other games beside pins in my gameroom, only three pins are operable right now. When I get Jokerz and Genesis upstairs and shopped out I'll have a get together.
    Once again....thanks for the invite. Playing your TAXI only makes me want one even more now.

Yeah we are going to begin building or looking to purchase soon enough. A large game room is a "must" on my check list. Always wanted one... and I am going to get one.

Taxi really is great... the fun factor is very high. Its my highest "rated" pin. I love it.

#20 10 years ago

Taxi is indeed fun. Sold mine many years ago to fund other pin purchases.
    Would not mind getting another one some day.

#21 10 years ago

Thanks for the insights! Alas, I'll never have the discipline, let alone the skill, to play like that. Kudos to your game room too, looks great!

#22 10 years ago

Is that a team one machine I see over there?

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Is that a team one machine I see over there?

Good Eye. It makes sounds like the Apple ring tone.

#24 10 years ago

Colin and I have sometimes played together at Pinballz in Austin. The last time (on AFM), he got to Rule the Universe on his first ball. I stood there for 20 minutes in shock and awe. Since then, I seek a bit less skillful competition.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Road Show is coming for sure... but I will likely trade Last Action Hero to get it. And yes, later, other pins will come too. Eventually I plan to have 12 in there total. But I am less than 12 months out from my new house, and that place will have a dedicated room, or room for me to construct a room, for everything and much more. I want my own arcade. I love the Ms Pac and Centipede... but you are right... Pins take precedence.

Send that LAH to my house. Ill keep it nice and safe

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroa:

Send that LAH to my house. Ill keep it nice and safe

Would trade you + $$ for Stargate. Plus I will deliver, pickup, and buy you a steak dinner.

#27 10 years ago

Colin is a beast! I actually bumped into him in Pinballz in Austin and we jammed a few games of Transformers LE right when it came out. Great dude and great player. I helped him with advice on buying his first pin (a LOTR), which he dominates as well

#28 10 years ago

cool story Bakushan, enjoyed it. If i could only get KJ or BK to my house....I could write a cool story too! Like what you did with your garage..been thinking of doing the same.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-ifpa-player-in-tx-comes-to-my-house-destroys-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.