(Topic ID: 258165)

1 HEP grail pin or 2 modern Sterns?

By Patrunkenphat7

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“HEP grail or 2 Sterns?”

• HEP restored grail pin 104 votes
      43%
    • 2 modern Sterns 137 votes
      57%

(241 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Do it.jpg
    bd897be041728c95f94cd2fa802c68c85e0189ec (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 4 years ago

I would skip the HEP and just find machines in nice condition. HEP are the best of the best, but in the end you play the same game. And the higher $ would always be gnawing at me in the back of my mind of how much I have sitting invested, but that's just me.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

For me I'd rather have 2 modern Sterns. If there's one thing I've found in 15 plus years in the hobby it's that even grail games get boring in a collection after a while. I eventually end up selling all of my grails to mix it up and get something new. It's a lot smaller market when you're trying to sell a $10k plus pin and you usually have to deal with shipping which is a hassle.

Spot on. I see a lot of people selling their grail games after a short amount of time. Why? Because half the fun is in the hunt, and the other half is in the expectation is so high that the game has a big hill to climb to meet those expectations.

On the flip side, early in my "career" I picked up a Shadow and a Taxi - and they won't leave for a long time. They are too much fun, and it's been 7 years.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I agree with you that Stern is currently making some of the best games that we've ever seen. I do think you have to be a bit careful though not dive too far in though. I'm happy just owning 1-2 at a time. With the QC and node board concerns I'd rather minimize my risk as much as possible. I do think these are the game's that will hold their value the worst too just because of market saturation at these higher price points. I recently sold my Maiden Pro despite it being one of my favorite games so that I can order a JP2 Pro. When something else comes out that I really want I can sell that and switch it up. The nice thing with modern games is that they are easy to find on location and in other people's collections so there really isn't a need to own them all.

That is the way I'm also doing going forward. I'm only staying with up to 2 of the node board games. Sold a KISS some time ago as I picked up an Iron Maiden.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-hep-grail-pin-or-2-modern-sterns?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.