(Topic ID: 258165)

1 HEP grail pin or 2 modern Sterns?

By Patrunkenphat7

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“HEP grail or 2 Sterns?”

• HEP restored grail pin 104 votes
      43%
    • 2 modern Sterns 137 votes
      57%

(241 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Do it.jpg
    bd897be041728c95f94cd2fa802c68c85e0189ec (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Patrunkenphat7:

One HEP restored grail pin (in my case that’s either Twilight Zone or Indiana Jones Pinball Adventure) or 2 modern Sterns? You could probably get either 2 new pros or 2 used premiums.

I voted for the HEP, but I think your math may be a little optimistic on how much the HEP is going to cost. You need the donor game, to begin with, and a donor game TZ or IJ is going to be 5k(ish) minimum at current market costs (and the worse the condition is of the donor game the more the restore itself will cost). Then you have two ways of shipping at $500 or so each way. Then you have parts and labor, possibly needing a new playfield and almost assuredly needing a new cabinet.

HEP games are super expensive, the journey is a lot of fun though. Nothing beats watching an old heavily routed beater game turn into a better than NIB game. Chris documenting each of his restores is awesome and he cares about you having a good experience (which is awesome). If you go for HEP plan for the game being a lifetime keeper.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I think you’re implying that a Stern won’t be played 30 years from now (I probably won’t be around but the games will be). I have a 12 year old Stern PotC that looks like it just came out of the box last year.
    Home collection games don’t get a lot of wear and tear. They’re polished as often as played.

I’m a bit concerned about the Stern node boards over time. The Bally / WMS stuff (and the very reliable SAM system games from Stern) are all repairable. The Spike node boards though I lack some confidence in.

Quoted from Malenko:

Maiden and Jurassic Park were 2 of the most fun games I've played in a long time.

Yep, Stern is making some of the best games of all time right now. Notwithstanding the node board concerns and some of the QC issues, the games themselves that Stern are pumping out are nothing short of epic pinball adventures. When you compare say a BM66 to a MM the differences are readily apparent...Stern has modernized pinball coding (rules, music, light shows, call outs, etc) and it’s come a long way.

This takes nothing away from the amazing games of the 90. They are just as awesome today as they were twenty years ago, but they are confined by their era code wise.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Spot on. I see a lot of people selling their grail games after a short amount of time. Why? Because half the fun is in the hunt, and the other half is in the expectation is so high that the game has a big hill to climb to meet those expectations.

The remakes took a lot of wind out of the sales on the 90’s games as well. The scarcity of decent conditioned 90’s game made them super collectible before the remakes.

Some people still prefer originals to remakes (no doubt), but the current availability of MM, AFM, and MB have without question hurt the collectibility of those titles. Before the remakes if you sold one of those three titles you might not be able to find another one in decent shape and if you did the price might really climb on you so people wanted to hold on to them, not so much an issue now and this has impacted the restoration game market.

It used to be possible to make a bit of a profit on a used restored game. Now though, you’ll take a bit of a financial hit on a nice restoration just like if you open up a modern NIB machine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-hep-grail-pin-or-2-modern-sterns?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.