(Topic ID: 258165)

1 HEP grail pin or 2 modern Sterns?

By Patrunkenphat7

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“HEP grail or 2 Sterns?”

• HEP restored grail pin 104 votes
      43%
    • 2 modern Sterns 137 votes
      57%

(241 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Do it.jpg
    bd897be041728c95f94cd2fa802c68c85e0189ec (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 4 years ago

Apples and oranges...HEP games play as good as they look, and are pretty much the best examples of machines out there.

My lineup always has something for me to play and enjoy, however, the (2x) Chris did had very special meaning. They needed to be restored, as there was a personal connection to both. The entire process, along with the final product, is something I highly recommend if fiscally possible.

There aren't 2 games made that could replace either of my HEPs. Is what it is....

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

HEP-ing is something you do to a game that you have no plans to sell - everything can of course sell eventually, but HEPs are really a personal investment in a game you love.

Bingo..

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

I struggled with that question this month. I could either have kept my jjp pirates, or sold it for a large profit and bought two a list stern huo games. Due to my small collection and how rarely I go to an arcade, I went with the two pins (Metallica and walking dead) with money left over.
    As long as you really enjoy the two games, I would say go for quantity over quality in a smaller collection. Now in the past, I traded a twilight zone for the shadow and Popeye. That I regret because I didn't love the two games.

W respect, JJP POTC is not a HEP restore ( by a mile)...It's great that the current value facilitated your deal, and certainly flips for a good ROI, but generally, you wouldn't do a HEP restore to make$$$.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

You are right, it's not a HEP. My intention was to comment on how to spend the money. One really expensive pin or two cheaper ones. Noone said do a hep to make money.
    Thank you OP for putting this up, I love that the poll is split after over a hundred votes

Agreed

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Patrunkenphat7:

Why does considering the opportunity cost mean that I or someone else couldn’t afford HEP? Even if I had $10 million lying around for disposable hobby income, I could still decide between 2 modern Sterns or 1 HEP with the cash I’m about to spend on games.
    Regardless, it’s not like HEP is only for the super wealthy. It’s all about how you prioritize your hobby cash and opportunity costs which is why this poll and generally split results are interesting to me. If you think HEP is worth it, great! I’m leaning toward agreeing with you if I get to 5 pins as my threshold before upgrading one to HEP. But half this thread seems to disagree (even those who own 30+ pins), and that’s OK too.
    I see you own 22 games - how many of those are HEP? If a single one is not HEP, then why don’t you trade in two or three of your other pins to upgrade to HEP? See I am assuming even you consider opportunity cost of high end restorations with your large collection.

I think you might of missed DaveH point:

a) Deciding on owning a HEP is a personal decision, not one that will ever provide fiscal gain (possibly secure it's worth, but that's not why you do it). Doubt if someone that rotates pins frequently would ever choose a high end restoration.
    b) It is a costly process, depending on the game, and what level things are taken. It also is expensive to buy 2 pins of equal cost. Money is not truly part of your ask ("fun comparison"). You're gonna need cash, regardless. It's whether or not you see yourself owning the game for a while and truly enjoying it.
    c) I'm not super wealthy, own 20 games, and 2 of them I had HEP restore. But my reasons (as Yelobird elaborated on briefly in this thread, more descriptive when he actually went down the road in a prior thread) are more than just the thrill of a single game experience. Generally, the machine is worthy due to it's grail nature and a journey to the owner. All stories are different.
    d) Would I do all my games? No way....in my case, I have many nice games...doesn't mean they need to all be HEP.

I'm not sure anyone is agreeing or disagreeing with either choice, just expressing their opinions in response to your question.

HEP is for a game that you want at it's best, period (I play both of mine often, as well as just stare at them sometimes) AND are planning on keeping awhile.

jmho....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-hep-grail-pin-or-2-modern-sterns?tu=MK6PIN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.