Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by smoke
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hi all-so I am a very casual, whenever-I-see-one type of pinball player. Not serious, but I was pretty into games as a youth and young adult.

I've got a 3 year old son, and enough disposable income to grab a pinball machine. I'd like something that he can grow into when he gets a little older. If I were to look at just ONE machine to basically last 20 years of so(in terms of fun of play, not actual reliability), what should I be looking at, as far as titles go? Games I always liked:

-Addams Family
    -Attack from Mars
    -Theater of Magic
    -Twilight Zone

I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting I liked. Any advice for a future basement warrior? Thanks-R

#2 9 years ago

Addams, TZ and AFM are all excellent choices. Theater of Magic seems like a game people get bored with after owning it a while.

Don't forget you can always sell/buy games too. Whatever you pick doesn't have to be forever.

#3 9 years ago

The Simpsons Pinball Party

#4 9 years ago

Star Trek the Next Generation .

#5 9 years ago

Dude-AFM no brainer. Fast, funny and not easy to beat. Good stuff and hope you enjoy what ever it may be.

#6 9 years ago

Star Wars EP1
    RFM
    Fish Tales
    White Water
    Party Zone
    Apollo 13 !!

#7 9 years ago

TAF ! Its show time!

#8 9 years ago

White Waterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

#9 9 years ago

Lord of the Rings.... Wizard of Oz. My sons favorite at 2 1/2 has been WOZ by far. I would pick a WOZ.

#10 9 years ago

Indiana Jones (it's the game I've had the longest)

#11 9 years ago

Whatever pin you pick, you then will become 1 Dad. 1 Son. 2 Machines.

#12 9 years ago

Kids love AFM. That and Spider-Man seem to get the most play from little visitors to our place.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from crazzzycanuuuk:

Whatever pin you pick, you then will become 1 Dad. 1 Son. 2 Machines.

Lol. So true.

rjd2 - from your list I'd go for AFM. The playfield is a little more open and your three year old will get rewarded early on with shots up the middle. Overall fun game.

#14 9 years ago

Another vote for spiderman, kids like him, and its a pretty fun pin also.

#15 9 years ago

The only game my boys really liked out of 30 plus pins in my house was AFM. Heck, even my wife liked it. AFM all day long is my vote!

AFM also can be enjoyed at any level of experience but getting RTU is extremely hard so this game has it all.

#16 9 years ago

Attack from Mars or The Addams Family... The other two might get a bit boring after a while if it's your only pin...

#17 9 years ago

I would choose RFM over AFM. I have played the latter and it was a fun machine but after having owned/played/loved the former (for about 8-9 months now) and still digging it i would go RFM. These are the facts >>just as much fun factor as AFM if not more, a good machine for young kids to learn on without getting discouraged (this could of course be said for MANY machines), price is NICE not bloody ridiculous (which also includes Addams Family and Twilight Zone in that viewpoint) End of the day though, any machine will be amazing and fun for a 3 year old (at first anyway)

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from rjd2:

Hi all-so I am a very casual, whenever-I-see-one type of pinball player. Not serious, but I was pretty into games as a youth and young adult.
    I've got a 3 year old son, and enough disposable income to grab a pinball machine. I'd like something that he can grow into when he gets a little older. If I were to look at just ONE machine to basically last 20 years of so(in terms of fun of play, not actual reliability), what should I be looking at, as far as titles go? Games I always liked:
    -Addams Family
    -Attack from Mars
    -Theater of Magic
    -Twilight Zone
    I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting I liked. Any advice for a future basement warrior? Thanks-R

My kids have gone hot and cold on a ton of games, but the one factor that is the same is me... When they go to play (4-6 yrs old), they always ask for me to come play with them. So, if you are just getting one, get something you like (appropriate theme of course), and they will prob jump right in with you. I think my kids loved Monster Bash (Dracula was a hit) the most, it was known as the Halloween pin. Good luck, and have fun with your kids.

#19 9 years ago

wow, thanks so much for the replies.

Attack From Mars was honestly something i was leaning AWAY from, cause IIRC there were these activator thingies that would actually startle ME as an adult, so i thought it'd be off-putting for kids. But it looks that that is a wrong assumption. The wide open field definitely seems like it'd be an appealing thing, and it's also a tough one.

what is RFM? sorry, i can't quite speak the language just yet, ha!

#20 9 years ago

AFM or TZ on your list. Addams is just too easy and belongs in a bigger collection. The Simpsons is a good option and spider man isn't too bad either.

#21 9 years ago

Funny enough one of the pins I miss most out of all that are sold is D&D. Really miss that 1987 pin...

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from rjd2:

Revenge from Mars

#23 9 years ago

Can't go wrong with Addams.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from rjd2:

Tip: If you hover your hover your mouse over any of the acronyms, it usually tells you what game it is.

#25 9 years ago

I think the mistake people make is thinking one machine would be great but I only want to own one and I want to keep it for years is regardless of what machine you pick it will get old over time. If you have "X" number of dollars you want to spend on pinball and have the space I would spend that "X" number of dollars on 3 machines instead of just one.

When you have one machine it will basically never get played after a few months but if you have 3 in the same room they will get used all the time. Reason is fairly simple - you turn on the machine and start playing it and all of a sudden you wife or son decide that looks like fun, they sit and wait for you to finish playing and after a few minutes they get distracted by something else and they are gone. Now you get done playing and no one else is wanting to play.

With two or three machines (same thing happens as above) - other person or people turn one one of the other machines and start playing. Next thing you know one of you gets board with the machine you are playing and you move to the third machine. All of a sudden two hours have passed.

In a perfect world one machine isn't your best choice and if you have space I would pick having two or three System 11 or data east machines over having one more expensive machine. Maybe it is just me but one machine just will not have the stay power two or three would.

#26 9 years ago

Who Dunnit when I owned a WD it had a novice mode you could pick with the flippers at the start of every game.The novice feature spit the ball out for two minutes unlimited drains good for kids

#27 9 years ago

Star Trek the Next Generation. My 7 year old LOVES this game for the canons and all the cool ships. It's fun to mod too!

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

When you have one machine it will basically never get played after a few months but if you have 3 in the same room they will get used all the time. Reason is fairly simple - you turn on the machine and start playing it and all of a sudden you wife or son decide that looks like fun, they sit and wait for you to finish playing and after a few minutes they get distracted by something else and they are gone. Now you get done playing and no one else is wanting to play.

good call, +1. and if you were thinking about dropping 8-9K on a AFM you could easily pick up 3 nice machine. we should make a list of great games under 3K to check out.
    I'll start here's 2 that I have and paid less then 3K for. Corvette, Road Show.

#30 9 years ago

Got to side with the "multiple pins" vs one pin choice. Better to have 3 2k pins than 1 6k pin.

That being said if you can really only have one (WAF) then I'd go for something with some depth....but definitely not something with very long ball times.

Therefore LOTR would be a horrible choice for a single pin......it's got the depth, but the ball times get so long that no one will EVER want to play with you.....horrible multiplayer game. This is from first hand experience; I owned a LOTR for eight years.

Better choice would be ST. ST has the depth but the average ball times are short enough (just) to still make it fun for multiple players. It got great sound, lights and call outs. It's also fast and has great flow.

Another great multiplayer game is Iron Man. In fact it might just be the ultimate multiplayer game due to being brutally hard. It's got the theme, it's got the sound and lights but it is not real deep so might not be the best choice for a single pin. Not sure about that though.

#31 9 years ago

You might want to consider a new Stern pin. Price is in the ballpark of games you listed. I love the classics but keep in mind these are 20+ year old games that have been in arcades and bars. Part of the ownership of the classics is learning to fix them because problems are common. There are several really good Stern games of late. Look at the ratings and you will see which ones. My choice for kids and adults is Star Trek. It has easy to understand rules and not hard to get to features of the game like multiball. It has a great led light show and a lot of depth for any player.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I love the classics but keep in mind these are 20+ year old games that have been in arcades and bars. Part of the ownership of the classics is learning to fix them because problems are common.

Well with that being a good point, then Wizard of Oz is got to be the pick. deep rules great family theme light show lcd its got it all

#33 9 years ago

Taf,SM, WOZ are great choices

#35 9 years ago

Just as long as it doesn't involve 2 cups, it doesn't matter what machine you get.

If you are willing to spend the coin, a Medieval Madness remake would be a great machine.

Addams Family could also give you a lot of enjoyment, but your son won't get any of the references or theme unless you watch the show/movies with him.

Attack from Mars is another good choice.

#36 9 years ago

For me and my son, FT and WHO2 are by far the ones we play together. Solid games. Williams was a great manufacturer for themes for their games.

#37 9 years ago

LOTR longer ball time for kids.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I think the mistake people make is thinking one machine would be great but I only want to own one and I want to keep it for years is regardless of what machine you pick it will get old over time. If you have "X" number of dollars you want to spend on pinball and have the space I would spend that "X" number of dollars on 3 machines instead of just one.
    With two or three machines (same thing happens as above) - other person or people turn one one of the other machines and start playing. Next thing you know one of you gets board with the machine you are playing and you move to the third machine. All of a sudden two hours have passed.
    In a perfect world one machine isn't your best choice and if you have space I would pick having two or three System 11 or data east machines over having one more expensive machine. Maybe it is just me but one machine just will not have the stay power two or three would.

That's the reason I have 16 plus arcade games. Another reason to have more then one is because if one goes down you have others to play while the one gets fixed.

#39 9 years ago

RFM will go the distance of owning only one pin.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-dad-1-son-1-machine-whatll-it-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.