(Topic ID: 17007)

1 bad ass Xenon on Ebay (Not your grandmas Xenon)

By Hyperion

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Xenon_crate_2.jpg
Xenon_crate.jpg
alien_dance.gif
good_alien_space_ship_cartoon.gif
Pinball_power_supply_mod.jpg
Xenon_laser.jpg
xeeeeeee.jpg
xee.jpg
xe.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hellfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 11 years ago

Thank you!! Glad you guys like it
The flippers are illuminated with 4 3MM leds wired and mounted under the flippers in the playfield i considered an insert or acrylic inlay but i didnt want to ruin the playfield so it was easier and more practicle to just mount the leds themselves in through the bottom it took some time to get the holes stepped 3x to fit seemlessly but then the flipper is raised they are nearly invisible. I tried to mod it as much as possible without making it unreversable the machine could still be converted back to original if desired. i never finished adding other mods i had in mind for this machine but its ok maybe ill build another one down the road. I know its a bit pricey but its what it cost to build im not making anything on the 100 hours labor or so lol.
Imagine what it would have looked like if i had installed the lasers and plasma disc i never got around to?

#14 11 years ago

This was a picture I took when i was playing with the laser I had intended on mounting on the game it would have been red normaly and changed to green when it was 1000pt spinner why i went with the classic nurled style spinner. but at least i got the Fl green 3/8" posts made since the show. I was trying to find someone to make me Translucent Fl green drop targets but never found who manufactured them. i went with orange originaly but it looked like crap with blue leds the fl green glows with the blue leds

Xenon_laser.jpgXenon_laser.jpg

#15 11 years ago

The posts are not illuminated with the cointaker led boards they are overpriced and create too many problems with changing the post hight then the surface wiring technique they require look like crap each post is cross drilled and leds are in the the posts themselves. honestly i was illuminating star posts this way before they made the post boards you can buy now.

#20 11 years ago

Well looks like i will be shipping the machine now the bidder has to have it shipped so It wont be pickup only or my hauling it anymore the current bidder is in Colorado.

Yes it looks the nicest in the dark its brighter than most pinss I focused on it looking the best in the dark becouse I always play em in the dark.

#28 11 years ago

I had to dissassemble the plasma ball unit and fish the wire through the playfield and it has a transformer unit that was mounted under the playfield but I have abandoned the Mod and removed it.
It worked great and looked coolfor 6+ months but the day before the MGC this year when i was getting ready to add a credit switch and break the machine down, i turned it on and suddenly it sat there and played itself with the exception of the flippers moving and the ball on the playffield on powerup it would start a game and start scoring pop bumpers were randomly triggering etc. i was like a ghost playing the machine and you could see the ball.
So i was up all night replaced every diode in the switch matrix and capacitors traced every wire even connected another coin door to see if that was the problem.
in the end it ended up being the plasma ball being the problem it worked still like before but something happed maybe the transformer changed frequency somehow, but it was giving off a slight emf just enough to falsly trigger the switch matrix. I disconnected the plasma ball and the machine went back to normal again lol.
So yeah it has been removed and i will be selling the machine without it, it cant be trusted anymore and im not going to sell a machine that could do that to another person. The mod needs improvement and safeguarding before it can be left in perminently. so this mod will take more research and fine tuning before it can be utilized reliably

#31 11 years ago

I powered it with an atx computer power supply the plasma ball transformer runs off 12v dc i have several 150W I purchased in a lot i rewired it internaly and set it to turn on with the switched 120v line voltage the star posts pop bumpers flippers etc all run off the atx power supply. You know these transformers are 30 years old i go out of my way to take as much stress off them as possible any additions should always be used on a secondary power supply. here is a pic of one of the secondary power supplies modified and mounted in my elektra

Pinball_power_supply_mod.jpgPinball_power_supply_mod.jpg

#32 11 years ago

Well guys i was contacted from my craiglist ad and offered $3500 to sell the machine outright now + shipping costs Think i should jump on it?

#35 11 years ago

Well it is a tough call see I need ebay to go higher figure about $300 seller fees plus i will be replacing all plastics again and the bumper caps costing another $150ish I need $3k to break even outside ebay Ineed $3450 inside ebay to break even 3500 i can profit $350 and call it a day.
Anyway i mailed the bidder and told him the situation we will see what he says about it.
It could only go up $50 or $1000

#41 11 years ago

Well you see that is the thing so much red tape with ebay and over the years i have already paid them thousands and then there is the paypal issue this guy will need it shipped to his house but he is dealing with everything navl will just show up to pick up the item. he is willing to pay by check, paypal, moneyorder or whatever even dirrect bank transfer if i like see is sold some of my old stuff on ebay last month or so made $600 but had to pay Ebay $125 of that plus paypal fees. and now on ebay a seller cant even leave a crap buyer bad feedback anymore I had a non paying bidder few months ago and i couldnt leave nothing but posative feedback so in the ratings he had 100% feedback but after my problem i read em and discovered he had several posatives saying he was a deadbeat. and it wouldnt let me leave anything negative to warn the next seller.
if the guy wires me funds dirrectly to a locked savings account thats it and no fees or send a money order/check hes willing to wait for to clear at the bank. I have integrity but I also am not about taking a loss at the same time. if i can sell it or $3500 and make $300 for all my labor guaranteed without paying a chunk in fees to ebay its looking better and better im waiting for a reply from my bidder i asked him his opinion he might say go for it. at least I cantacted the guy.

#45 11 years ago

Well it was listed an craigslist a week prior i dont feel too bad about selling it outside ebay it was also for sale on other sites I just forgot to mention it. i have some serious watchers on ebay but they havnt bid yet so way i see it monday is a holiday and most people will most likley forget to bid so thinking its a sale with this guy. Im not violating any Ebay rules by finalising a sale on another site i have the same item listed on prior to be listed on ebay. sellers do it all the time when they have items for sale localy as well.

#46 11 years ago

You know i built this one i can always build another if someone can come up with a new PF I can get a cheap Xenon base machine and do it again prolly cheaper and can make it cheaper next time now that i have it all sorted and know exactly what i need to do next time Ill talk to the bidder and make the offer.
If the base machine dont cost me so much next round i wouldnt need to get as much as i do on this one

#50 11 years ago

Its have notified the guy his offer its a deal it is agreed $3500 for the machine and he will arrange all shipping issues just waiting for the funds to appear in my account and the auction will be ended.
I still havnt heard back from the bidder. i was curious as how much the machine would end up at I seen a pretty nice original medusa no leds etc sell for $5000 and a mint midevil madness sell for $1200 so thinking i have about 50 watchers there could be a bidding war possibly but I wasnt listing it to get rich or greedy this guy seems very nice has been burned in the past and is buying for his son he realy wants it so thats good enough for me Ill get my money back and make about $300 at the end of the day or about 150hrs labor lol.
i still like the machine and i still have mixed feelings about selling it but it makes me feel better its going to a good home and i didnt lose my ass on it. thats really what matters at the end of the day.

#54 11 years ago

Well the buyer wasnt middle eastern or foriegn lol well i decided to take paypal so the money is sitting in my account atm he is waiting till the 7th to have it picked up and i will get the paperwork and i had him pay under personal-other so there is no buyer protection he can use to scam me so basicly it is a done deal i have 2 weeks before it ships so it isnt like hes giving me a bad check he can recall or cancel tommorrow. ive spoke to him a few times over the phone hes an older businessman and seems pretty strait up so im not too worried realy. the guy is excited cant blame him realy

#56 11 years ago

Yeah hes not the happiest but isnt mad realy his only real problem was i didnt mention it was for sale localy . but i told him if he comes across a playfield i can always build another one if he wants it.

Now i need to decide which machine to do next Im thinking Elektra, Centaur i have a CPR PF for Centaur. But i suppose F14 or Swords of Fury possibly as well and have a line on a possible Specrum.

See mods are strange and complicated thing with these machines its not just a matter of putting a bunch of things in a machine or some rookie colored leds in the Gi or whatever. it needs to be done tastefully like Xenon was a modern theme Machine so i could do alot of mods to pimp it out.

See I am trying to get into the business restoring and pimping out pinball machines I have numerous mods designed even some prototypes built I intend on starting up a site down the road and selling things that nobody else has built and rebuild these machines as nice as Xenon.

I have background in Mechanics, Electromechanics, auto body restoration and painting currently i do construction and remodeling through my business and have been working on electronics since i was 5 honestly I fixed my first tv when I was 7 it just always came natural. Im good at art etc so pinball seems natural and there will be more machines modified and tricked out for certain.

#59 11 years ago

Ive got a centaur 2 actualy went out of my way to get that Vs a centaur 1 but I liked the cabinet style but that will be a big project cabinet will get stripped down and wrapped in leather and will have real studs instead of the painted rivets and airbrushed art on sides.
Will also have lit flippers as will all my pins and lighted star posts now i have sorted the flickering led problem on these machines they will all be 100% led and i have deisigned custom led boards for inside the star rollover inserts and have some more ideas im going to incorperate in the PF
i just need to wait for CPR to make the centaur 2 backglass.
Elektr i already started making some mods for I have to get a hold of a guy today to see what he has to get for his complete PF for that game he planned on parting out. i seriously need plastics for mine yet.
and silverball i am still waiting on Cpr to get the playfields done before i can do that machine.

#62 11 years ago

LOL well No worries i have myself secure already i been through the scam game already i have isolated accounts etc. i checked the guys info online using reverse telephone number check and the machine will be with me 2 weeks yet before it gets picked up etc.
Even though the curiosity of what it would have ended for on ebay realy has me thinking a bit i had 101 watchers this morning when i killed the auction. but you see it wasnt so much about turning a profit it was money recovery and it going to a good home on this machine.
yes it took 150hrs on this machine but same time it was dealing with new techniques, new mods nobody else has done alot of problem solving alot of which will be eliminated next time. im into electronics etc a long time but only been into pinball itself like 3 years it takes time to analyse and pick apart the systems and find the best way to get additions to function properly with reliability.
i like to make em sexy and elaborate but the same time rock solid and built better than they came from the factory. i have problem solved the flickering problem in ballys without needing the altec board how to drop the backbox temps 27 degrees in tempeture in prolonged use have worked out alot of problems to drop alot of voltage draw and strain on the aging systems etc etc.
alot of it is interchaging and reasearching old parts and comming up with conversion methodes and cross references changing over to mosfets or finding better Rds values to integrate better into the system than the original components.
When i first got into pinball everyone was telling me what i couldnt do it just helped motivate me to prove to people things can be done differently and better than everyones current methodes.
see i love pinball and face it it is a dying thing but if a person can can take say a standard Xenon and make people awww over it and make it the prettiest one ever seen i believe new life can be given to a run of the mill machine. it is my intention to to get into the business and start doing this more and more restoring and moding machines like Xenon and developing more unique and better mods than are currently available presently

#66 11 years ago

Omg seriously we are still on this scam thing ?? lol guys i took paypal and used the method under personal other so they cant claim paypal protection nor get payback paypal will verify the funds so its is secure. if you ever sell anything outside ebay you can give the buyer your paypal email and instruct him to select send money, then use the personal tab and send the ammount on either other or personal expenses then you get all the money and they cant recall the funds like if you use the pay for item or services tab. i did not accept dirrect deposit nor a check so relax lol

1 week later
#68 11 years ago

Well she is crated up and will be on its way to Vegas tommorrow gonna miss her.
My first pinball shipping hope it get there ok

Xenon_crate.jpgXenon_crate.jpg Xenon_crate_2.jpgXenon_crate_2.jpg

#70 11 years ago

Well its a matter of finding one for the right price I can justify dumping all that money into lol.
well this is my first pinball crate lol granted it has the sides and top on now since this pic not bad for extra materials left over from the job sites lol.
But since it has been sold i have repainted trim around backglass touched up black on the cabinet new pf plastics and made new bumper tops with better epoxy, and put a new coin door skin on and polished to match old finer finish I played few games last night before crating now im going to miss the machine. But the guy should be realy happy with it best xenon i have ever seen condition wise let alone all the mods added.

2 years later
#72 9 years ago
Quoted from ShaneBolda:

AKA "How To Ruin a Xenon"

AKA the new price setting Xenon you can thank this machine for Xenon's being priced higher nowdays and it had people knocking down the door to buy it.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I agree with the resurrecter, that Xenon is ruined!

Please send it to my house immediately so that I may fix it. Turnaround time may be long

No worries all the mods i do are reversible nothing was ruined couple new bumper caps and a tube it could be original again in no time

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Bump! Let's keep this one on the top until it sells AGAIN!

Yeah it sold a long time ago lol but i have a playfield and plan on building another one just dont know when ill get around to building it

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks like the one I played at MGC 2 years ago.

Yep think it was 3 years actualy i brought it there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hellfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-bad-ass-xenon-on-ebay-not-your-grandmas-xenon?tu=Hellfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.