image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So I'm working on a 1963 gottlieb flying chariots. I'm pretty new into em pinball and still learning how to read the schematics. I'm having an issue where in when a game is started its keeping score on all reels (1st and 2wd player). I think it must have something to do with switching between 1at and 2ed player as I have already went through all the score reels and everything opens closes and holds as it should. If I manually hold open the armirure on the middle relay it only keeps score on the 1st player side. I'm assuming some of the leaf switches are miss adjusted in these 3 relays which I belive are 1st and 2ed player relays. Can anybody tell me how these should be adjusted or where on a schematic I can find what should be open or closed?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago

On switch stacks like those, their correct adjustment can be self-evident. Each switch blade pair (or trio) will have a long blade and a short blade. The long blade moves when the armature plate moves. If the long blade is pulled towards the short blade, then that pair should be normally open. If the long blade is pulled away from the short blade, then that pair should be normally closed. If it's a trio (one long and two short), then one 'breaks' while the other 'makes', but the same rule applies.

Every switch should change 'state' when the armature plate moves, so if any switches are always closed or always open, then they're incorrect.

#3 8 years ago

Awesome thank you so much. I will take a look at it tonight and report back. That info is very helpful!

#4 8 years ago

Well went through them all def not the problem. Do you find it strange that when I hold open the 1st relay only player 2 works and when I hold the middle relay open only the 1st player works. Would love to play 2 player games. Any other suggestions?

#5 8 years ago

Have you overhauled the player unit yet?

#6 8 years ago

I'll check it out tonihjt

#7 8 years ago

Just went through the player unit and cleaned everything. Seems to be working fine, counting all the balls correctly. it's weird because it's only the 10 pt relay that activates on player 2 side. And when I reach 9 on 1 pt it will not roll over the 10 pt reel next to it on 1st player side. but I went through that reel 3 times and it all checks out. Reel works fine when resetting? Any 10pt value on play field activates player 2 reel not just when 1pt on player 1 side is at 9.

#8 8 years ago

The middle coil in your pic is a little toasty...may be time for a replacement

#9 8 years ago

Just the photo. Numbers are good on Dmm, Sleeve just fell off.

#10 8 years ago

Have you tightened the switch stacks on those relays? I dont have a schematic, but if you cant get it to roll from 9 to 10, "using only the 1pt relay, then it shud be the 9th position switch on the 1pt reel not closing, or not getting to the 10pt reel. find the signal for the 1pt reel advance on the schematic, follow it to and thru the 1pt reel to the 10 pt reel advance.
On your pic, that middle relay, the blades look awful, are you sure those switches are all opening/closing correctly?

#11 8 years ago

I'll tighten switch stacks tonight and re adjust but yes everything seems to be opening closing correctly. I'll take another photo after I re adjust.

#12 8 years ago

On this era of game, Gottlieb controlled the scoring between the players with dedicated "1st & 2nd Player Score Control" relays (which I think are the ones you've pictured). They should energize independently, controlled by the position of the Ball Count unit. The wiper disc on the Ball Count unit steps through the ten possible positions (5-balls per player, times 2 players), and every other ball activates the path the scoring control relay. So when on rivet 0, that's Player 1 scoring; when on rivet 1, that's Player 2 scoring.

The score reels themselves each have two separate circuit paths; one for resetting, and one for scoring. So if only the scoring is giving a problem, then that's the only path to worry about.

The 9th position rollover function first activates the higher point value score relay (e.g. rolling over from 1s to 10 activates the M relay), and then a switch closing on M, along with the closed 9th position switch on the score reel advances the next reel. But this path is also diverted through the associated player score control logic, which means that whether it's a direct 10 point score, or a 1s rollover, both will be diverted.

This means that if all 10pt scoring is going to the 2nd player, regardless of hitting 10pt value items or rolling over the Player one 1s reel, that the problem most likely lies with one of the two 1st&2nd Player Score Control relays.

These relays are often labeled as 'O' and 'P', but check your schematic to confirm. 'O' is usually the one for 10 points.

There's a make/break switch on there that diverts the scoring between the players, and if the score is going the wrong way, then that switch is in the wrong state (or has a short in the path behind it, like tabs touching).

#13 8 years ago

So the 10 point reel does not roll over on the second players side after scoring 10 points on the 1st player 1s reel. But I think I may have figured it out. Both the 1st and second player relay work fine as I can tell from moving the player ball count unit. I looked at my schematic and both 1 and 2 player ( o & p) are magnetic relays. I think they should hold in place until player / ball count stepper moves up but there not. And that's causing both players to be up at the same time as both there lights are on and keeping score on all reels. Which makes sense cause when I hold one open it only keeps score on the opposite players reels. If this makes sense and could be the case how can I fix it? New armatures?

#14 8 years ago

yes, once either the P or O relays are activated via the position of the Ball Count unit, they stay energized via normally closed switches on the Game Over (usually 'QB') and Start (usually 'S' or 'SB') relays.

So if they're not staying energized, then probably one of those switches isn't making contact. Those relays are going to be on the Control Bank.

Could just be they need cleaning/gapping, or possibly a wire has popped off.

#15 8 years ago

Well I only had about an hour tonight to work on it so I didn't get it fixed. I went through the control bank and SB and qp relays and the change player and ball count relay and cleaned them up. All wires were good. I'll tighten and ajust tomorrow. It seems that once out of about every 30 steps the 2ed player relay will hold and stay energised and everything seems to work well on player 2 side when the relay holds in position. I'll give it another look tomorrow night and see if I can get her going.

#16 8 years ago

Alright this is really startin to bug me. So everything looks good on the SB and qp relays but all the sudden I have all sorts of new problems. First of all I have to credit the machine to turn on which has always happend, but now that triggers the 1st player tilt (tb) then I have to hit the 30 v relay to turn on the play field lights witch never used to happen. Then the game starts in tilt which also never happend, but now to activate player 2 I have to use the coin Shute relay when the coin mech used to work just fine. Then I have to hit the relay for the bank to unlock tilts and start a game which still won't hold players in position. Ahhhh

#17 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

It seems that once out of about every 30 steps the 2ed player relay will hold and stay energised and everything seems to work well on player 2 side when the relay holds in position.

So on the Balls Played unit (aka ball count), that pair of spring-loaded fingers that touch the rivets should have a braided copper wire that attaches them (I think). Make sure that wire isn't loose/falling off, and that the fingers are making good contact with the rivets. And that the rivets are clean and the fingers are stopping on them with good alignment.

The path to O and P is through that pair of fingers/rivets, QB and SB. And probably a Jones plug, since those parts aren't co-located.
But if it's able to work at all, then that suggests a flaky connection among that path somewhere.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

First of all I have to credit the machine to turn on

Normal

Quoted from V_piscopo:

but now that triggers the 1st player tilt (tb)

I think this is normal for a power up. There's a make/break switch on H that completes the path to TB1, and H won't energize until after the first start sequence begins.

Quoted from V_piscopo:

then I have to hit the 30 v relay to turn on the play field lights witch never used to happen.

The playfield lights are controlled by a make/break switch on H, so until H energizes, they won't come on.

But H needs to energize on start up. That's done via a make/break switch on SB, so if that switch got disturbed, H won't energize on its own.

#20 8 years ago

I will look tonight and re solder the wires connecting fingers on ball count unit if need be. Funny how one little problem throws the whole machine off. I will be very pleased if this solves all my problems. Thank you so much for all of your knowledge I've learned so much from talking with you!

#21 8 years ago

You my friend are a genius. It was a spring in one of the fingers on the ball count unit. It was shot. Replaced it now p1 and 2 hold like champs! Thank you so much for all your help.

#22 8 years ago

Cool - that's awesome! Glad you were able to spot it.

#23 8 years ago

And the start up sequence is back on track

#24 8 years ago

Or so I thought..... P1 and p2 are now locking in place and the game keeps score correctly!!! But it used to be when I gave the machine a credit it would power on, another credit would activate the startup sequence and credit p1 one credit another credit would activate p2. Now when I credit the machine back glass comes on but no play field. When I credit the machine the score motor turns but does not give me a credit. When I manly use the coin chute relay the startup process begins and I can play a one player game one more credit to the coin chute relay (manually) activates p2. What do you think would be causing my coin mech not to work to start the startup process?

#25 8 years ago

Is your game equipped with an "Extra Chute" relay (W)?

And your Coin Chute relay is 'K'?

And are you using the left coin chute or the right coin chute? Does the behavior change if you use one vs. the other?

#26 8 years ago

No one coin Shute (k) it's a German export so it takes 20 franks

#27 8 years ago

OK, so here's approximately how it should work from a cold start (plugged on, but not on yet):

- A coin going through the coin chute will close the coin chute switch, which completes a path via a closed switch on R to the K relay, activating K.
- K activating closes a switch on K which completes the path to the transformer (K itself is on line voltage).
- The transformer 25V side completes a path to R, activating R, and make/break switch on R takes over holding the path to the transformer.
- The transformer 6V side completes a path to the backbox lights.
- K is locked in via its own switch.
- A switch closing on K causes the score motor to run.
- A switch closing on K completes a path to the Start relay (SB), via closed switches on SB and H, and when score motor 2C closes.
- K will stay locked on until score motor 2B switch opens.
- SB tripping will close a switch on SB to keep the score motor running.
- SB tripping will complete a path to activate H.
- H activating will turn on the playfield lights.

Since SB tripped, the startup sequence will continue from there and be ready to play Player 1, Ball 1.

From your description, it sounds like this is all working correctly now? Or where does it differ?

Before any points are scored, a second coin can be put through the chute, K activates again, and this time the 2nd Player relay (PB) trips. Now two players are active. (There's probably some logic for 1st ball though, so the second player can't be added once points are scored on the first ball.)

So the summary is:
- First coin should power on and start a game.
- Second coin before first ball points are scored should add second player.

With only one coin chute, it shouldn't increment credits, but just start a game.

#28 8 years ago

Everything opperates as should except coin Shute is not tripping it's relay when I hit coin mech (it used to) I have to lift play field and manually activate relay to add players and start game.

#29 8 years ago

Have you checked the switch in the coin mech? Needs to close when the coin passes through.

#30 8 years ago

Ya it's not that. The score motor still turns via coin mech but Dosent reset scores or add players. This only started happing after I fixed 1 and 2 player holding through rivet

#31 8 years ago

Is K activating from the coin mech? (I assume so, since the score motor runs.)

Does SB (Start relay) trip after K activates? It needs to trip to continue the start/reset sequence.

How far in the sequence that I outlined above does it get?

#32 8 years ago

Well not very far I supposed. I plug in the machine. I use coin mech power comes on to back glass. 1st player is in tilt ball count is at 1. Every time I hit coin mech score motor moves one rotation but that's it. As soon as I manually hit the coin Shute relay my bank resets and I am ready for a one player game if I manually press coin Shute relay again it adds player 2. The only relay that moves when I use coin mech is W (extra Shute) until I manually use coin Shute bank won't reset. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you I picked up a new game and have been busy breaking stuff. Lol any chance you are good with ess machines lol

#33 8 years ago

I thought you said your game didn't have the W relay, only the one coin chute relay, K? (posts #25/#26 above.)

If it has both K and W, then the logic is a bit different.

Can you post some pictures of the coin mech and coin chute stuff you're manipulating?

But it sounds like the signal to activate the Start relay from the coin chute relay has been lost, so the Start relay never activates. That would suggest switches on the coin chute relay to check.

#34 8 years ago

Ya. sorry my fault, All the stickers were ripped/fell off long ago with only one coin insert/coin mech that appears to be stock I just assumed one relay. That's what I get for assuming. It wasn't till I really looked at the schematic I saw W

#35 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I use coin mech power comes on to back glass. 1st player is in tilt ball count is at 1. Every time I hit coin mech score motor moves one rotation but that's it.

When you trip that coin mech switch on the coin door (last picture), then that relay on the bottom board labeled "Coin Chute Relay" should energize, and the score motor should run. Does it do that?

Then when that relay energizes, the Start relay on the relay bank next to it should trip, which continues the startup process.

#37 8 years ago

No it doesn't. 1st R is energised (115v hold relay) then W then score motor turns. Still no play field lights and still no bank. Once I manually press coin Shute 30v hold charges play field pops on then bank resets and I'm at player 1 ball 1

#38 8 years ago

At the front of bottom board (closer to the door) are there some Jones plugs with a label of "Extra Chute Adj." or such? Looks like there might be, but that portion is not quite visible in the pictures posted earlier.

The W relay energizing is supposed to be adding 2-5 credits to the credit unit. Then you use the replay button on the coin door to actually start the game. I take it that no credits are getting added when W energizes and runs the score motor?

There would be a switch on W that needs to close for that.

#39 8 years ago

Oh my god......I feel soooo dumb. That was totally the problem. I must of moved the coin chute adjustment plug from 1 play to 2 plays as soon as I moved it back it worked as should. Thank you so much I've learned a ton about the startup process and helpful info in general from you. Thanks again!!!

#40 8 years ago

That'll work. If you wanted to have a coin just add credits instead of directly starting a game, that's what that plug is for. But that would require debugging the 'add credit' path...

Enjoy the game.

#41 8 years ago

I will thanks again. Your the man

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-2-player-switch-stack-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.